The Halloween Franchise

Started by thecolorsblend, Thu, 17 Jan 2019, 03:26

Previous topic - Next topic
Quote from: The Joker on Fri, 25 Jun  2021, 23:57

Yeah, the nods are great, and I'm interested in seeing the character's of Tommy Doyle and Lindsey Wallace return as well.

Another thing that's going to be interesting to see play out, is the flashback sequence that's said to be in Halloween Kills, where we see Michael being apprehended by the police back in 1978. I would assume we're going to see a young Frank Hawkins in this, and probably a stand in for Dr. Loomis (perhaps only filmed from behind?), since Hawkins stated in Halloween 2018 that he actually stopped Dr. Loomis that night in finishing the job on Michael.
Stuff like that is partly why I love this movie series. There are so many different timelines, alternative endings, sequels, reboots, unboots, retcons, I just eat it all up with a spoon. Can't wait for HK either. Looks like a ton of fun.

I still haven't seen the 2018 film yet, despite hearing a lot of good things about it. I need to catch up on this series before October.

Quote from: Silver Nemesis on Mon, 28 Jun  2021, 13:51
I still haven't seen the 2018 film yet, despite hearing a lot of good things about it. I need to catch up on this series before October.
No spoilers. But for the new timeline, the only films you need to bother with are Halloween (1978) and Halloween (2018). You can ignore everything else. Just in case you didn't know.

In my opinion, getting two good films released back-to-back is an impossibility for this franchise. So, there's a real chance HK could buck that historical trend.

Totally unrelated. But there's a memorable cameo performed by a stuntwoman in the 2018 film. She went on to some YouTuber's channel and dished at length about her day or two of shooting. Turns out, she's a Halloween mega fan from way back and she gave an analysis of the 2018 film I've never heard anywhere else. I'll dig it up and post a link if you're interested.

Quote from: thecolorsblend on Mon, 28 Jun  2021, 16:42
Totally unrelated. But there's a memorable cameo performed by a stuntwoman in the 2018 film. She went on to some YouTuber's channel and dished at length about her day or two of shooting. Turns out, she's a Halloween mega fan from way back and she gave an analysis of the 2018 film I've never heard anywhere else. I'll dig it up and post a link if you're interested.

Would that be an episode of Corridor Crew's stuntmen reacts series, by any chance? While I haven't seen that particular video, I am subbed to their YouTube page and I seem to recall seeing a thumbnail come up in my recommendations featuring Michael Myers' mask.

Quote from: Silver Nemesis on Mon, 28 Jun  2021, 22:34
Would that be an episode of Corridor Crew's stuntmen reacts series, by any chance? While I haven't seen that particular video, I am subbed to their YouTube page and I seem to recall seeing a thumbnail come up in my recommendations featuring Michael Myers' mask.
Nah, I was thinking of something else. Major league, all thrilla no filla, step lively SPOILER ALERT because they blow the lid off pretty much the entire movie in this interview. So, definitely something to save for after you watch it.

Still, Marian Sing (the stuntwoman in question) offers a lot of technical baloney about how her scene was shot. Then she waxes fangirl a little bit about the movie series and all that. Worth watching if you're into this type of stuff.

"Imagination is a quality given a man to compensate him for what he is not, and a sense of humour was provided to console him for what he is."

Mon, 20 Sep 2021, 18:54 #16 Last Edit: Tue, 21 Sep 2021, 11:47 by thecolorsblend
At a glance, I noticed a nod to Halloween 3 with some of the masks the victims wear and possibly a nod to Halloween 4 with the whole shotgun by the stairs bit. The hospital stuff could be a reference to Halloween II. So, quite a lot of references are going on here.

As far as I'm concerned, this movie is shaping up to look great.

Damn, Michael is going to be a absolute BEAST in this.

"Imagination is a quality given a man to compensate him for what he is not, and a sense of humour was provided to console him for what he is."

Sort of a fluffy "We're so happy to be back" type of thing. But there's some footage in there that I, at least, have not seen before. Still, the energy for this thing seems very real. As a fan of these movies, I'm of the opinion that there have never been two good Halloween movies released back-to-back with each other. But Halloween 2018 was good and HK is shaping up to be good too. So, maybe history is about to change?

Just a couple more weeks until showtime!

I have to give the Akkad's, and Universal for keeping the Halloween property in the mix of things within the public consciousness, and for the better part, consistently with films that are rather high profile in terms of the horror genre. Say what you will about Rob Zombie's vision for Halloween back in 2007, but it was a rather bold and high profile move for such a property. Especially in light of Zombie's "The Devil's Rejects". Which a lot of horror fans enjoy for the most part, and which in turn, gave that Halloween project much attention as a consequence.

With Leatherface and "The Texas Chainsaw Massacre" franchise getting lesser returns with each subsequent installment, Hellraiser being MIA, Chucky being regulated to mainly straight to DVD/TV series (with a "Remake" that really should have been titled something else), and Freddy and Jason both being on indefinite hiatus thanks to change of rights/legal battles, it's been pretty much Michael by himself pulling the wagon on keeping the '80's iconic slashers alive in the zeitgeist with installments of actual quality.