the brave and the bold?

Started by Catwoman, Sun, 14 Jun 2009, 00:16

Previous topic - Next topic
Coming back to this...

Quote from: Silver Nemesis on Thu, 28 Mar  2013, 11:51It might be worth having separate threads for individual episodes since there's so much to talk about with each one. Reviews, guest stars, references to the comics, references to the other Batman TV shows and movies (for a connection to the Burton films, just look who did the voice of Bat-Mite).
As I've hashed through episodes, I've seen nods aplenty to comics and other media. Listing the references on a per-episode basis might be a huge project but, starting now, I'll try to keep a journal of what I notice. Fair warning though- as far as comics go, I've got tons more familiarity with Superman so there may be stuff that goes by me.

Quote from: Silver Nemesis on Thu, 28 Mar  2013, 11:51I know nobody will agree with me on this, but I honestly think this show is up there with Batman (1966-68) and Batman: The Animated Series in quality. It's that good.
Let's be controversial then.

As far as exploring Batman's character, BTAS is hard to beat. It's got tons of atmosphere too. It's Paul Dini, Bruce Timm and others likely in their prime. There probably weren't enough episodes to capture their full creative potential. It's hard now to overstate what a game changer this sucker was back when it first came out because it opened up the flood gates of what animated television could be. It is the equivalent of the Beatles in that regard.

But in terms of the depiction of the DCU I've always wanted to see but never knew how to ask for... y'know, I think TBATB is a lot more in line with my sensibilities. It's fun, has a primarily Silver Age influence but nothing in it denigrates the characters. It celebrates a specific, though no less valid, aspect of the entire DCU canon and it does it in a way that simply has no peer, as far as I'm concerned.

Quote from: Silver Nemesis on Thu, 28 Mar  2013, 11:51Now if Warner Bros would just release a complete DVD set...
Yes, there is that to consider.

As much as I like The Brave & The Bold, the Kamandi stuff is just unbearable. Not a single crap is given by me that Kamandi was created by Jack Kirby. All that does is once again prove to me how overrated the guy was.

So. Sooooooooooooooo. I mean, like, wtf happened to Red Tornado? Motherfvcker entered the witness protection program or something in the middle of the first season and hasn't been seen since. What gives?

^
Have you seen that episode where Red Tornado built his own son, who later turned on him for not agreeing to destroy the human race? This show is normally a happy one for the kids, but that one episode was heartbreaking.  :-[
QuoteJonathan Nolan: He [Batman] has this one rule, as the Joker says in The Dark Knight. But he does wind up breaking it. Does he break it in the third film?

Christopher Nolan: He breaks it in...

Jonathan Nolan: ...the first two.

Source: http://books.google.com.au/books?id=uwV8rddtKRgC&pg=PR8&dq=But+he+does+wind+up+breaking+it.&hl=en&sa=X&ei

i only got to see a few epis. about all i remember is aquaman singing something like "man or superman!" lol.

Quote from: The Laughing Fish on Tue,  2 Apr  2013, 14:11^
Have you seen that episode where Red Tornado built his own son, who later turned on him for not agreeing to destroy the human race? This show is normally a happy one for the kids, but that one episode was heartbreaking.  :-[
Yeah, no kidding, that one was heavy.

Now that I've finished off the series, my favorite is 02.01- Death Race To Oblivion! It's the most unapologetically Silver Age episode I can think of. Which reminds me, people have described the show as "camp". Talk about an abused word these days. The Brave & The Bold is many things but it is not "camp". But the hard on it has for all things Silver Age... well, to me this would be definitive except that the show wasn't specifically focused on Batman. So BTAS remains top dog (for now anyway) because TBATB is really more of a DCU adaptation than specifically a Batman adaptation. At least in my opinion.

On the other hand, I place TBATB above JL/JLU. It just is more in line with my sensibilities of what these characters should be.

Brave and the Bold, along with Batman Beyond, got added to Netflix. :)

Been watching a lot more this weekend.  Really loving the show, so far, and wish Netflix had more than the first one and a half seasons. 

Other than Chill of the Night, my other favorite so far has to be Game Over for Owlman in how they played around with the Batman-Joker dynamic.  Hilarious, fun, and still feeling true to the characters.  Never thought I'd see the day where Joker actually saved an innocent bystander without any malicious plans afterwards, yet it completely worked here.
That awkward moment when you remember the only Batman who's never killed is George Clooney...

QuoteAs much as I like The Brave & The Bold, the Kamandi stuff is just unbearable. Not a single crap is given by me that Kamandi was created by Jack Kirby.

I've never been a big fan of Kamandi in the comics. But it was pretty funny when the Joker blew up his future Earth in 'Joker, the Vile and the Villainous!' (s3e4). I'm assuming Kamandi didn't survive. I'm not quite sure how the Joker did either.

Quote from: Silver Nemesis on Mon,  8 Apr  2013, 17:36I've never been a big fan of Kamandi in the comics. But it was pretty funny when the Joker blew up his future Earth in 'Joker, the Vile and the Villainous!' (s3e4). I'm assuming Kamandi didn't survive. I'm not quite sure how the Joker did either.
Yeah, that was a good bit. Kept expecting that to be undone somehow but it looks like it never was... which is just fine by me. :)