30th Anniversary 4K Ultra HD Blu-Ray

Started by DarkVengeance, Tue, 8 Jan 2019, 02:25

Previous topic - Next topic
Hey all, I know this thread isn't very active but I wanted to say this:

It's October '19. I just watched the 4K Digital version on iTunes and Vudu....it seems like the original sound mix is back. I watched Batman '89 4k digital on iTunes this summer and it was the new mix. Can someone double check and get back to me on this?

I bought it on itunes on the Movies Anywhere app and it has been the 1080p version of the new transfer with the old sound mix ever since then. I don't have an Apple TV or I would buy it again in 4K so I could have it with the original sound mix.

I have given a name to my pain, and it is BATMAN.

I don't have a 4k tv yet, so I haven't bought the new versions. I still have my blu rays.  ;D

The 4K transfer itself is stunning, however I along with Ral and many others have been very vocal in regards to the sound mix. I've spoken to WB on the phone twice now and it sounds like they've made up their mind about including the old sound mix on disc.

With the original sound mix appearing on digital versions of Batman '89, I hope that this is how the movie will be presented if I see it in that theater again. This whole business with the new sound mixes has been a mess. I know for sure that Returns and Forever had the original sound mixes with remastered picture at the theater, but the discs have new sound mixes as well.

All of the first four Batman movies are unavailable for booking for the remainder of the year so we won't know that until next year at the earliest.

Quote from: DarkVengeance on Tue, 15 Oct  2019, 17:21
All of the first four Batman movies are unavailable for booking for the remainder of the year so we won't know that until next year at the earliest.
Hey why is that? I was wondering why no theatres around me were doing screenings of the 89 Batman.

That's because they debuted the new 4K transfers during the special Fathom Events back in May. It was an exclusive to Fathom so WB blocked any other screenings for the entire year.

Quote from: DarkVengeance on Mon, 28 Oct  2019, 23:21
That's because they debuted the new 4K transfers during the special Fathom Events back in May. It was an exclusive to Fathom so WB blocked any other screenings for the entire year.
In this age of attempting to maximize every last penny of potential revenue, repertory titles being screened in big cinemas is increasingly becoming a bit of a boutique. Considering that Business Is War seems to be Disney's battle cry lately, it shouldn't come as a great surprise to discover that they're closing the books in Fox's repertory titles and stuffing them into the famous (or infamous) Disney vault.

It's only logical to think that the other studios will have to find some sort of way to protect themselves. If Disney is poised to dominate 50+% of the box office marketplace (and, post-Fox-mergey, they are), WB may very well think they have no choice but to conserve their repertory titles for their streaming service.

It's strange that living in an age with so many options paradoxically results in our having fewer options.

Fri, 10 Jul 2020, 23:30 #139 Last Edit: Fri, 10 Jul 2020, 23:57 by Slash Man
I'm trying to consolidate some of my collection, and I've got a question about the Blu-Ray and 4K Ultra HD Blu-Ray combo; is the normal Blu-Ray the same as the previous releases? To specify; is it the original color grading and sound effects? I've been meaning to replace my Special Edition DVD boxset with this release, but I would like having access to the previous master.