30th Anniversary 4K Ultra HD Blu-Ray

Started by DarkVengeance, Tue, 8 Jan 2019, 02:25

Previous topic - Next topic
Mon, 12 Jul 2021, 15:55 #150 Last Edit: Mon, 12 Jul 2021, 16:08 by Kamdan
The new 4K transfer took the time to radically change the original sound mix and even took the time to remove a light reflected in the window during the parade scene. If they're taking the time to change those details, you might as well go with other cosmetic changes like removing that purple mark on Joker's neck or color correcting Joker's costume for the ending.

I appreciate the efforts of fans taking the time and effort to fix minor details like this. He also fixed the missing eye makeup from the unmasking scene in Batman Returns. I wasn't a fan of how he made the final scene with the batsignal looking completely different from the original, especially how they don't quite match up.

QuoteStudios should strive to have old films look as they did on release day. Nothing more, nothing less.
Problem is that today we can watch yesterday's films in much better quality than we could when they first came out. When I saw a 35mm print of Joker, I kept thinking how much better it would have looked if I had seen it in IMAX or a Dolby Cinema. Higher quality makes details that were never meant to be noticed now magnified. The Reeve Superman movies didn't need as much work hiding the wires when they first came out compared to their later releases on DVD and Blu-ray. Just the fact that we can pause, fast forward and rewind the movie is something the filmmakers never wanted us to do.

I'll always prefer the original with all its flaws and all, but offering both is a good compromise so that consumers have a choice and there's no reason for backlash. To be clear, I'm more fundamentally opposed to these changes rather than something that actively disturbs my viewing experience. Though speaking of options, the original soundtrack was originally announced to be an option, but ultimately left out. Left a sour taste in a lot of fans' mouths.

We're not quite at the point where current technology has exceeded the maximum resolution of movies shot on film, though I think 4K Blu-ray is the end of the line. I know its an analog format and all, but there isn't much more detail to be squeezed out at 8K. Despite the level of detail being fine, I think some consumers just don't like that it looks old. The tinting and graininess just gives away that it's an older film, to the point where studios will attempt to scrub it of its grain content and adjust the color timing to match current Hollywood trends. This usually just makes the film look worse (and makes everything look like wax in the case of DNR). Thankfully, this wasn't really the case with Batman. It wasn't a super grainy film to begin with, but DNR would have wrecked the look of the film.

Quote from: Slash Man on Tue, 13 Jul  2021, 05:14
I'll always prefer the original with all its flaws and all, but offering both is a good compromise so that consumers have a choice and there's no reason for backlash. To be clear, I'm more fundamentally opposed to these changes rather than something that actively disturbs my viewing experience. Though speaking of options, the original soundtrack was originally announced to be an option, but ultimately left out. Left a sour taste in a lot of fans' mouths.

We're not quite at the point where current technology has exceeded the maximum resolution of movies shot on film, though I think 4K Blu-ray is the end of the line. I know its an analog format and all, but there isn't much more detail to be squeezed out at 8K. Despite the level of detail being fine, I think some consumers just don't like that it looks old. The tinting and graininess just gives away that it's an older film, to the point where studios will attempt to scrub it of its grain content and adjust the color timing to match current Hollywood trends. This usually just makes the film look worse (and makes everything look like wax in the case of DNR). Thankfully, this wasn't really the case with Batman. It wasn't a super grainy film to begin with, but DNR would have wrecked the look of the film.
What's weird to me is that the version on HBO MAX has the original soundtrack with the new transfer. If they changed their minds I'm hoping there's a future release with that original audio included.

Tue, 13 Jul 2021, 14:12 #153 Last Edit: Tue, 13 Jul 2021, 14:23 by Kamdan
QuoteWe're not quite at the point where current technology has exceeded the maximum resolution of movies shot on film, though I think 4K Blu-ray is the end of the line.
That's probably true with 70mm film, but we're definitely at the point where we've surpassed 35mm.

QuoteWhat's weird to me is that the version on HBO MAX has the original soundtrack with the new transfer. If they changed their minds I'm hoping there's a future release with that original audio included.
I'm interested in seeing how this plays out for future theatrical rereleases. I hope the original sound will be on it as well. 25 years ago when Hitchcock's Vertigo was released with a new sound mix, there was much criticism over it due to iy sounding like a movie from what was then the present rather than when it first came out. Eventually technology developed so that the original sound effects could be utilized to make a new sound mix. Superman: The Movie had a similar problem and that 4K release defaults to the original sound mix with an option for an Atmos mix that's a combination of the two mixes. That's what should have been applied to the Batman films as well.

Quote from: BatmanFurst on Tue, 13 Jul  2021, 08:44
What's weird to me is that the version on HBO MAX has the original soundtrack with the new transfer. If they changed their minds I'm hoping there's a future release with that original audio included.
That gives me hope for the future. I sold my DVDs expecting a complete overhaul, but the lack of the original soundtrack is definitely a minus. Oh well, at least I have the VHS tapes for nostalgia's sake, and I probably won't be getting rid of those.

There hasn't been many cases of re-releases with 4K Blu-Ray yet, but at least Batman's popularity makes it a strong contender. Two things that would absolutely get me to purchase a new release are the original soundtrack, and even new artwork. Granted the original theatrical art is perfection personified, but I would at least settle for something attractive to the eye.

Quote from: Kamdan on Tue, 13 Jul  2021, 14:12I'm interested in seeing how this plays out for future theatrical rereleases. I hope the original sound will be on it as well. 25 years ago when Hitchcock's Vertigo was released with a new sound mix, there was much criticism over it due to iy sounding like a movie from what was then the present rather than when it first came out. Eventually technology developed so that the original sound effects could be utilized to make a new sound mix. Superman: The Movie had a similar problem and that 4K release defaults to the original sound mix with an option for an Atmos mix that's a combination of the two mixes. That's what should have been applied to the Batman films as well.
One of the reasons the STM sound mix was so controversial is because it was a brand new mix. It incorporated a lot of new elements into the soundtrack, primarily sound effects (although a few people claim that different takes of the Williams score were used too). Michael Thau (or somebody) justified the decision to create a new STM sound mix from the standpoint that the original mix was supposedly never completed. There's some credence to that too.

Still, I much prefer when these movies include the original soundtrack and an optional remastered/new soundtrack. Jaws included the OG mono mix on one of the early 2000's DVD releases and I thought it sounded great. Ditto the first two Godfathers.

Wed, 14 Jul 2021, 15:48 #156 Last Edit: Wed, 14 Jul 2021, 15:56 by Kamdan
QuoteOne of the reasons the STM sound mix was so controversial is because it was a brand new mix. It incorporated a lot of new elements into the soundtrack, primarily sound effects (although a few people claim that different takes of the Williams score were used too). Michael Thau (or somebody) justified the decision to create a new STM sound mix from the standpoint that the original mix was supposedly never completed. There's some credence to that too.
Same can be said for Batman '89's sound mix. The rushed post-production has been blamed for the use of the stock sound effects. Elfman also expressed his exasperation over the final mix of his score, which I happen to prefer over the soundtrack mixes.

Thau can't be trusted on his word. He tried to dismiss a leaked early version of The Donner Cut that f Superman II on Warner Bros. reediting the film when Donner specifically states in his commentary that certain scenes were cut when it was first assembled for him. Donner may have not been fully aware (or approved) the sound changed for Superman: The Movie. There was an interview with him over that issue and he acted concerned over the idea of the movie having an element changed without his knowledge. It probably led to the inclusion of the original sound in subsequent releases. We're in the same boat here with Batman '89, as the release was not approved by Burton or anyone on the production.

Quote from: Slash Man on Wed, 14 Jul  2021, 04:32
That gives me hope for the future. I sold my DVDs expecting a complete overhaul, but the lack of the original soundtrack is definitely a minus. Oh well, at least I have the VHS tapes for nostalgia's sake, and I probably won't be getting rid of those.

I don't personally own a 4K player, and though I've been considering purchasing one, the current 4K release of Batman'89 is a hard pass for me due to the original soundtrack being absent. With streaming dominating, the straightforward thinking would be to cater to those who still collect physical media by giving us more options. Not less.

This is reminiscent, to me, of all the post-2001 releases of "The Terminator" on blu ray, where the original mono mix has been glaringly absent, and so far, has never been rectified. Which is absolutely atrocious since this has been the case for 20 years now. However, if the HBO Max Batman'89 release includes the original soundtrack, then that's at least a promising sign for the possibility of another physical release of Batman'89 giving us the luxury of options when it comes to the soundtrack.

I was not aware of the Vertigo problem from years gone by. I am aware that the current/latest release of Hitchcock's 1960 "Psycho" has issues pertaining to the mono. I'm currently one of those requesting a disc replacement, but so far, there's been absolutely no progress whatsoever. Evidently, I'm certainly not alone though some have had success.

"Imagination is a quality given a man to compensate him for what he is not, and a sense of humour was provided to console him for what he is."

Quote from: The Joker on Thu, 15 Jul  2021, 04:37
Quote from: Slash Man on Wed, 14 Jul  2021, 04:32

I don't personally own a 4K player, and though I've been considering purchasing one, the current 4K release of Batman'89 is a hard pass for me due to the original soundtrack being absent. With streaming dominating, the straightforward thinking would be to cater to those who still collect physical media by giving us more options. Not less.

This is reminiscent, to me, of all the post-2001 releases of "The Terminator" on blu ray, where the original mono mix has been glaringly absent, and so far, has never been rectified. Which is absolutely atrocious since this has been the case for 20 years now. However, if the HBO Max Batman'89 release includes the original soundtrack, then that's at least a promising sign for the possibility of another physical release of Batman'89 giving us the luxury of options when it comes to the soundtrack.

I was not aware of the Vertigo problem from years gone by. I am aware that the current/latest release of Hitchcock's 1960 "Psycho" has issues pertaining to the mono. I'm currently one of those requesting a disc replacement, but so far, there's been absolutely no progress whatsoever. Evidently, I'm certainly not alone though some have had success.
The Terminator remark intrigued me. I could've sworn I owned a Terminator DVD in mono sound. I used to rip my DVD's and save them on my hard drives for a variety of reasons. Mostly for watching them on my iPod. Obviously this was way back in the old days. Anyway, I still have an mp4 of The Terminator that has "mono" as part of the file name. Which reinforced my suspicious that I owned such a DVD at one time. It makes sense. The mono soundtrack would've been THE selling point for me buying that DVD. I might very well have skipped it over without the mono sound.

So, I decided to check out. And sure enough, the mono soundtrack is definitely elusive. But it seems that, unless we're all suffering from a strange case of the Mandela Effect, the mono soundtrack was released on DVD as per http://www.dvdbeaver.com/film/DVDCompare/terminator.htm

Full disclosure: I remember owning a DVD of The Terminator with mono sound but I am drawing a complete blank on that specific DVD cover. So, I might still be mistaken about something here.

Quote from: thecolorsblend on Thu, 15 Jul  2021, 17:01
The Terminator remark intrigued me. I could've sworn I owned a Terminator DVD in mono sound. I used to rip my DVD's and save them on my hard drives for a variety of reasons. Mostly for watching them on my iPod. Obviously this was way back in the old days. Anyway, I still have an mp4 of The Terminator that has "mono" as part of the file name. Which reinforced my suspicious that I owned such a DVD at one time. It makes sense. The mono soundtrack would've been THE selling point for me buying that DVD. I might very well have skipped it over without the mono sound.

So, I decided to check out. And sure enough, the mono soundtrack is definitely elusive. But it seems that, unless we're all suffering from a strange case of the Mandela Effect, the mono soundtrack was released on DVD as per http://www.dvdbeaver.com/film/DVDCompare/terminator.htm

Full disclosure: I remember owning a DVD of The Terminator with mono sound but I am drawing a complete blank on that specific DVD cover. So, I might still be mistaken about something here.

Yes, Colors, you are correct in that the mono saw release on "The Terminator" DVD's. That's why I made mention of since Post-2001, this has no longer been the case. The 2001 MGM Special Edition DVD, that was a double sided DVD loaded with extras (with some of the extras having never been ported over in any subsequent releases since) introduced the new mix, along with the mono, was the final official release of "The Terminator" that had the mono. Every subsequent release only has the new mix that was introduced in 2001 for whatever reason. It's possible you have this SE DVD, released in 2001, or it's very possible that you have the 1997/1998 MGM DVD release (which I think only included the trailer as an extra, so rather bare bones) that also had the original mono.

Here's the fun part though, evidently the mono on the 1997/1998 DVD is actually more vibrant than the mono found on the 2001 MGM SE DVD. The presumption on this is that since the 2001 MGM SE DVD is packed with so many extras, the mono as a consequence, was somewhat subdued in comparison to the mono found on the 1997/1998 DVD. Because in comparison, the mono on the 1997/1998 bare bones release noticeably packs more of a punch in sound than the mono on the double sided SE release.

I was able to find a MP3 file of the mono after some digging around online, but I wouldn't be able to tell you from which the source originated from.

"Imagination is a quality given a man to compensate him for what he is not, and a sense of humour was provided to console him for what he is."