30th Anniversary Edition?

Started by Grissom, Thu, 14 Jul 2016, 02:08

Previous topic - Next topic
Quote from: Catwoman on Fri, 15 Jul  2016, 04:32So am I. Being told I'm wrong or not a real fan of the character because I like or prefer another version has done a lot to sour me on them, though.
Some people call my attitude snide, dismissive and/or condescedingly elitist. I cannot help that.

My view is I've been a Batman fan for close to thirty years. I've thrilled to his adventures from the 30's, 40's, 50's, 60's, 70's, 80's, 90's, 2000's and even a few recent ones.

I've collected his comics for the overwhelming majority of my life. I've studied his psychological profile from numerous angles. I've variously argued for Batman as the consummate humanitarian at times and other times as a character so selfish and self-absorbed as to be irredeemably narcissistic. I believe both views have some validity to them.

I've enjoyed Batman adaptations too numerous to ever list here. I see the aesthetic beauty of every major big screen incarnation of Batman from the last few decades. The small screen hasn't escaped my notice either. Some animated shows are better than others but none are without entertainment value of some kind or another.

Long story short, I don't need someone whose knowledge of the character comes from three Nolan films and one or two trade paperbacks telling ME what's what. If I believe Burton's vision to be a credible depiction of Batman and his world, that's all I need. After all these years, I'll keep my counsel on what is and is not a "valid" interpretation of Batman.

And if some spoiled Millennials don't like it, I've got a white ass they can kiss.

Good post. I think it's about enjoying Batman on your own terms.

I haven't watched the 25th anniversary special edition but it seems the thesis was that Batman 89 was a good money maker and a popular movie but not necessarily a good movie.

I didn't own this film until 2014, I waited for a 25th anniversary special but was turned off by that and the presence of David Goyer- has anyone ever heard him say a single positive thing about the Burton films? Either way I have ZERO interest hearing what he had to say. It's not just his comments on Batman, every comic film he's been the lead writer on tanked and even the extremely classy Stan Lee denounced him (responding to his weird theory the She-hulk was created to have sex with the Hulk despite them being cousins).

I've also heard they removed the 'making of a hero' segment.

One part I throughly enjoyed on the steelbook version I settled on was the story board of the original ending with Kevin Conroy and Mark Hammil doing the reading.  This version featured Dick Grayson and Robin.

Quote from: riddler on Fri, 15 Jul  2016, 13:41
I haven't watched the 25th anniversary special edition but it seems the thesis was that Batman 89 was a good money maker and a popular movie but not necessarily a good movie.

I didn't own this film until 2014, I waited for a 25th anniversary special but was turned off by that and the presence of David Goyer- has anyone ever heard him say a single positive thing about the Burton films? Either way I have ZERO interest hearing what he had to say. It's not just his comments on Batman, every comic film he's been the lead writer on tanked and even the extremely classy Stan Lee denounced him (responding to his weird theory the She-hulk was created to have sex with the Hulk despite them being cousins).

One part I throughly enjoyed on the steelbook version I settled on was the story board of the original ending with Kevin Conroy and Mark Hammil doing the reading.  This version featured Dick Grayson and Robin.
I can't stand David Goyer.  As far as I'm concerned he's one of the worst things to happen to comics and comic-book movies in the last thirty years, and his disgusting, misogynist She-Hulk comments demonstrate exactly what kind of man he is.

It's no wonder he hates the Burton films.  As far as I'm concerned that counts as a badge of honour. :)
Johnny Gobs got ripped and took a walk off a roof, alright? No big loss.

Quote from: johnnygobbs on Fri, 15 Jul  2016, 13:56
Quote from: riddler on Fri, 15 Jul  2016, 13:41

I can't stand David Goyer.  As far as I'm concerned he's one of the worst things to happen to comics and comic-book movies in the last thirty years, and his disgusting, misogynist She-Hulk comments demonstrate exactly what kind of man he is.

It's no wonder he hates the Burton films.  As far as I'm concerned that counts as a badge of honour. :)

Stan Lee is one of the classiest famous guys I've never seen. I'm not sure anyone else here follows his facebook page but he rarely has anything negative to say and almost never says anything bad about DC despite them giving him many opportunities with their films lately (he'll post a funny meme every now and then, that's it). I've never seen him tee off on anyone like he did with Goyer,

http://www.avclub.com/article/stan-lee-responds-david-s-goyers-she-hulk-sex-fant-204979

Stan sums up Goyer in one line
QuoteNever for an instant did I want her as a love interest for Hulk. Only a nut would even think of that.
and he never even addressed the fact that Goyer feels they should have intercourse despite being first cousins.

Goyer's initial argument is because the she hulk is beautiful and curvy but the fact that he feels that alone is a reason for the Hulk to have sex with her says more about Goyer than anything else; Hulk is a character who does in fact have humanity despite his opponents suggesting otherwise so for him to see an attractive member of the opposite gender and immediately wanting to have sex undermines the character as some primitive beast (which we know he's not, Banner is still in there at some level" and shows how shallow Goyer's brain is. And again I repeat she-hulk is his COUSIN.

QuoteI can't stand David Goyer.  As far as I'm concerned he's one of the worst things to happen to comics and comic-book movies in the last thirty years, and his disgusting, misogynist She-Hulk comments demonstrate exactly what kind of man he is.
He's the unofficial president of the nolanite fan club we all hate. Most of us here realize Nolan himself is a classy guy and speaks well about the Burton films, I still remember Goyer being the first one associated with Batman begins to throw stones at Burton (mainly over Keaton killing people and outright saying Burton had no business killing the Joker).

Interesting that if you look at their filmographies, the rare Marvel movies Stan Lee has not had any association with usually seem to have Goyers name attached; Ghost Rider  2, the blade trilogy and Nick Fury.

QuoteIt's no wonder he hates the Burton films.  As far as I'm concerned that counts as a badge of honour.
Based on what he said about the hulk I'm sure if Goyer sees Batman returns his first thoughts may be why doesn't Catwoman have sex with batman or the penguin right away? It actually fits my agenda real well; I am a fan of Stan Lee and Tim Burton and detest Goyer. The only film with Goyers named attached that I'm a fan of is the dark knight which a) isn't above criticism and b) Goyer was not the primary or secondary writer on, the Nolans were.

and yes JB I was deciding on which blu ray to purchase of B89, the 25th or the steelbook. The determining factor for me WAS the fact that Goyer was involved in one (so I chose the ladder)