Carrey's Riddler

Started by The Dark Knight, Tue, 4 Nov 2008, 07:56

Previous topic - Next topic
I think Carrey's casting had to do with the success of the Mask (1994) and his zany comedy style at the time, in those pre-Truman days. Hell, I am one of those that embrace the notion that Forever's success is in large part due to the movie being not only a "new Batman", but an unofficial Jim Carrey comedy vehicle - I think he was big in the mid-90s, and he simply eats the scenery every time he appears.

Quote from: silenig on Tue,  3 Mar  2009, 23:40
I think Carrey's casting had to do with the success of the Mask (1994) and his zany comedy style at the time, in those pre-Truman days. Hell, I am one of those that embrace the notion that Forever's success is in large part due to the movie being not only a "new Batman", but an unofficial Jim Carrey comedy vehicle - I think he was big in the mid-90s, and he simply eats the scenery every time he appears.
Wasn't BF already in production when the Mask come out?  I would think Carrey likely nabbed the part because of Ace Ventura.

Maybe, but what I want to say is that Carrey's casting for BF and his succesful in the mid-90s comedy style are inseparable. The same could be said about the movie's success. One of the factors that played a large part in Batman Forever's success was Carrey doing his comedy. Many people were entertained by him. Wishing for a different portrayal with more depth is maybe taking into account the films he did much later, like Truman Show. I think that back then, with Carrey in the cast, nobody even considered a Riddler portrayal (or even a movie, for that matter) different than what we got. It was not in their intentions. It's obvious in most interviews and articles.

Thu, 5 Mar 2009, 02:13 #53 Last Edit: Thu, 5 Mar 2009, 02:16 by Dark Knight Detective
If Carrey had played a professional cheater/smooth intellectual instead of a "zany cheeseball", then perhaps it would've lowered the financial success Forever had back in 1995.

Quote from: Dark Knight Detective on Tue,  3 Mar  2009, 20:43
It's really the script's fault. Carrey was just doing his job. I wish he would have portrayed a serious Riddler (like in B:TAS) instead of a zany Riddler, but again, it's the script's fault, not his.

The way the Riddler was written in the script was very interesting and if they had someone who was unfraid to be evil and scary in the part, The Riddler would have been awesome, instead we have Jim Carrey and his "love me, love me, aren't I funny, in case you'll miss it, I'll OVDERDO it", style of performing.

If Robin Williams had played the part, the spazzy humor would have been there, but there would be definite malice in the performance as well. We would have been deranged AND obsessive, and that would have been really freaky.
Why is there always someone who bring eggs and tomatoes to a speech?

Sat, 7 Mar 2009, 16:53 #55 Last Edit: Sat, 7 Mar 2009, 17:11 by Dark Knight Detective
Quote from: gordonblu on Sat,  7 Mar  2009, 16:43
The way the Riddler was written in the script was very interesting and if they had someone who was unfraid to be evil and scary in the part, The Riddler would have been awesome, instead we have Jim Carrey and his "love me, love me, aren't I funny, in case you'll miss it, I'll OVDERDO it", style of performing.

If Robin Williams had played the part, the spazzy humor would have been there, but there would be definite malice in the performance as well. We would have been deranged AND obsessive, and that would have been really freaky.

See, a "deranged & obsessed" Riddler for this film would've probably been denied by Warner Bros. Why? Because there were characters in Returns who were deranged & obsessive.

So it seems that WB didn't want to take any risks w/ another film that had a Returns tone, so they told Schumacher to stay in a light-hearted direction, thus leading the Riddler to be a "goofy cheeseball" (along w/ Two-Face).

Jim Carrey was just going by the script. And if his behavior was similar to his other roles, then there's two people to blame for casting him & allowing him to act like the way he did - the casting director & film director, resepectively.

But a more skillful performer would have been able to sastisfy Warner Brothers desire for a light hearted Batman AND make the Riddler believable and menacing. The Riddler could have still worked in this film, but Carrey was absolutely wrong in the part, never mind his physical appearance. He didn't even try to be true to any emotion the character was scripted to have. He treated every scene as though it was part of his normal schtick. I'm not asking for dark, I'm asking for truth of performance.
Why is there always someone who bring eggs and tomatoes to a speech?

Quote from: gordonblu on Sat,  7 Mar  2009, 18:48
But a more skillful performer would have been able to sastisfy Warner Brothers desire for a light hearted Batman AND make the Riddler believable and menacing. The Riddler could have still worked in this film, but Carrey was absolutely wrong in the part, never mind his physical appearance. He didn't even try to be true to any emotion the character was scripted to have. He treated every scene as though it was part of his normal schtick. I'm not asking for dark, I'm asking for truth of performance.
Carrey did what he was directed to do.  The company's concerns are their concerns, not his.  Carrey's reputation preceded him by that point.  Hiring him meant hiring an insane goofball.  You don't hire Jack Lemmon, dress him in drag and try to direct him to perform as though he's Megan Fox.  Likewise, (at least back then) you didn't hire Jim Carrey to give a nuanced, dramatic, serious performance.  You brought in Carrey for cartoon performances.  I'm not defending the choice to hire the guy, I'm just saying he did what he was supposed to do.  Take it or leave it.

Me?  I leave it.

Sun, 8 Mar 2009, 08:04 #58 Last Edit: Sun, 8 Mar 2009, 08:09 by Dark Knight Detective
Quote from: gordonblu on Sat,  7 Mar  2009, 18:48

If WB had wanted a "skillful" actor to portray the Riddler, then they would not have approved of Jim Carrey. They knew that he was a comedian, & not a "serious" actor.

So, if anything, it's their fault, not his.

Quote from: Dark Knight DetectiveIf WB had wanted a "skillful" actor to portray the Riddler, then they would not have approved of Jim Carrey. They knew that he was a comedian, & not a "serious" actor.

So, if anything, it's their fault, not his.

Exactly.

Jim Carrey was red hot at the time with films like The Mask, Dumb and Dumber, and Ace ventura. WB knew EXACTLY what they wanted when they hired him. Which was obviously something akin to those performances. And Carrey delievered just that.

And I have no doubt Carrey's participation with FOREVER also played a hand in it being such a box office success in 1995.

"Imagination is a quality given a man to compensate him for what he is not, and a sense of humour was provided to console him for what he is."