THE FLASH (1990) Television Series Discussion

Started by Kamdan, Thu, 23 Oct 2008, 22:19

Previous topic - Next topic
Seems a bit too specific to be a coincidence.

This didn't warrant a thread of it's own, so I'm posting it here.

FLASHBACK 1997:

Wizard Magazine fan casts a 1997 "The Flash" movie.

"Imagination is a quality given a man to compensate him for what he is not, and a sense of humour was provided to console him for what he is."

McConaughey as Wally? Yeah, not buying that.

Quote from: Silver Nemesis on Mon, 31 Jul  2023, 20:31
Good find. And informative. In today's world, I'd forgotten how CBS was "the old guy network" in 1990. All or most of what I wanted to watch was on Fox. The Flash was the only CBS thing that ever caught my interest. So, I guess I'm living proof that The Flash had a serious branding/identity problem on CBS.

On a different subject, I don't think I gave this an adequate response before. So...

Quote from: Silver Nemesis on Thu,  6 May  2021, 14:27This is interesting. Rex Smith recently spoke about the proposed Daredevil TV series that he and John Rhys-Davies were meant to star in. It's long been known that the 1989 TV movie The Trial of the Incredible Hulk was intended as a backdoor pilot for that show, but the series was never picked up.

Now it's been revealed that one of the reasons CBS passed on Daredevil was because of The Flash. According to Smith:

Quote"It was not just a guest star thing for film. This whole effort was a springboard for a series for the Daredevil. We were so excited, John and I both. He was signed on for the series too, to be my Moriarty for Sherlock Holmes. There'd be other baddies, but the real baddie that always had his hand in it was going to be John.

I hear from my agent. He goes, 'We have a problem.' I go, 'What kind of problem?' He goes, 'Well, [CBS] bought your contract for Daredevil, because they're coming out with The Flash and they don't want the competition. So NBC sold your contract.'"
https://www.ign.com/articles/daredevil-tv-series-90s-cancelled-flash-dc-marvel

That's harsh, but in the long run I think things worked out for the best. The Flash (1990-91) remains my favourite live action interpretation of that character, and Daredevil eventually got an outstanding and definitive TV series of his own twenty-five years later.
Something else that might've caused CBS to pull the plug on Daredevil is a simple visual problem.

Look at this thing from the perspective of the Boomers who were running CBS in 1990.

You've got The Flash, a comic book superhero clad head-to-toe in a red bodysuit.

Then you've got Daredevil... a comic book superhero clad head-to-toe in a red bodysuit.

The Flash was already positioned as a "dark action show kinda like Batman 89". What do you suppose Daredevil's branding would've been?

Considering the media realities going on in 1990, I might suggest that backing out of the Daredevil show might've been a wise decision from the standpoint of protecting The Flash's identity.

I see some logic in doing that. But at the same time, I am now fiendishly curious what a Daredevil TV show starring Smith and Rhys-Davies could've been like. Based on exactly nothing, I assume a Daredevil show could've been assembled for a considerably lower cost than The Flash. The characters, conflicts and storylines of Daredevil are more comfortable with a TV budget as well.

In the end, we'll never know. But the more time goes by, the more the Daredevil show is starting to look like the one that got away.

I rewatched the episode Fast Forward the other night. I've always enjoyed it, despite the budget shortcomings really shows. It's a simple yet nice way to wrap up the Nicholas Pike story, and how Barry's sense of betrayal after Central City had acquitted his brother's killer over a legal technicality paved the way for a future where Flash's disappearance allowed Pike to take over and turn the city into a dystopian nightmare. For a time travel story, it's a welcome change to have the protagonist travel forward in time instead of always going backward as we often see in fiction.

As I said, this is one of those episodes where the budget constraints do get noticeable in key sequences. but I love how Barry comes back to the present and intimidates Pike and his sidekicks by using his homing missile against them so he could force Pike to confess for murdering Jay. Sure, if you think about it too much, that confession could be dismissed in court, and if the media were quick to speculate the Flash as Jay's killer then I doubt that they'd be willing to let go of such a juicy headline for the truth. But hey, it's a comic book show, and this episode has to end on a feel-good note. No complaints from me, we have enough cynicism everywhere we go as is.

One of my favourite moments in this episode was Flash, while still recovering from the loss of his powers as he's stuck in the future, karate kicks a STAR Labs guard who fatally shot Julio and the cops Murphy and Bellows get interrogated by the police for carrying a Flash action figure contraband. I had that same action figure growing up.  ;D

https://www.actionfiguresandcomics.com/products/dc-comics-super-heroes-flash-1990-toy-biz-universe-action-figure
QuoteJonathan Nolan: He [Batman] has this one rule, as the Joker says in The Dark Knight. But he does wind up breaking it. Does he break it in the third film?

Christopher Nolan: He breaks it in...

Jonathan Nolan: ...the first two.

Source: http://books.google.com.au/books?id=uwV8rddtKRgC&pg=PR8&dq=But+he+does+wind+up+breaking+it.&hl=en&sa=X&ei

I was hesitating to share this video because one of the interviewers is a douche on social media, but he doesn't work for DC anymore and Shipp is talking, here it is. This is from three years ago.

Some of the highlights of Shipp's interview include how remembered the difficult and uncomfortable process he had to go through to wear the costume,  how Hamill embracing his Trickster persona while filming made Shipp get over his own insecurities with his own costume, and showing a copy of a rare Flash TV special comic book.

QuoteJonathan Nolan: He [Batman] has this one rule, as the Joker says in The Dark Knight. But he does wind up breaking it. Does he break it in the third film?

Source: http://books.google.com.au/books?id=uwV8rddtKRgC&pg=PR8&dq=But+he+does+wind+up+breaking+it.&hl=en&sa=X&ei

I forgot to point out in that interview is Shipp really appreciates his final scene as Earth-90 Barry in the Arrowverse version of Crisis of Infinite Earths. My problem is it doesn't really make up how underutilised he was throughout that crossover, and I would've much preferred it better if his role was more prominent. But, I must admit, the moment itself is very well done. Encouraging the other heroes and sparing Arrowverse Barry to continue and fight on with his life is a noble sacrifice, hence the COIE comic book-inspired ending.

Although I don't quite agree that the final scene is a fitting conclusion for Earth-90 Barry's story, it's still more heartfelt compared to the underwhelming way Keaton's Batman died in The Flash. So there's that.

I love the influence that Burton's Batman had on that show, but the producers were smart enough to have Barry as the stable independent single guy who doesn't let his tragedy define him. Because if Shipp was too introverted like Keaton was in B89, the show may not have lasted as long as it did.

Just a random thought I wanted to share.