Batman Resurrections (Batman 89 Sequel Novel)

Started by The Dark Knight, Fri, 12 Apr 2024, 08:11

Previous topic - Next topic
One thing I want to share that's making me anxious:

I hope that the author, John Jackson Miller, does not make the mistake of losing '89 in pursuit of fan service, in particular the kind where he attempts to appease 'fans' by trying to make the '89 Batman 'more like the comics.' I mean no offense, but I think I'm allowed to speak frankly in this company, but if I want the 'comic book' Batman I need only pick up a comic. I want a story about the '89 Batman, where we find his voice, crawl into his head space, and take 'Earth-89' on its own terms. That's the right way: Bruce Wayne, charismatic in a distant and aloof sort of way, uncomfortable in his skin, and Batman, still, quiet, and when he does speak he is short, curbed, and to the point. Capture that. As much as I love Hamm's work, so much of what he's doing feels like he's trying to bring Back 'HIS' Batman from the pages of 1986, not deal with Batman as he appeared finalized on movie screens.

I don't think that's a controversial take. Ironically, I think it's when follow-ups are handled by the original creatives, they're more likely to take liberties and switch things up because the original isn't some kind of sacred cow to them.

Now part of my issue with Batman '89 departing from the source material was that the visuals were leaning way too hard into Batman TAS territory. It went beyond Easter egg territory to become distracting. They're similar in their tone and inspiration, but you can't just copy and past stuff without reason. Michael Gough, who has always been clean-shaven, suddenly grows a mustache. Michael Keaton's Bruce Wayne suddenly wears a yellow and brown suit.

All of that is to say that I think it's actually ideal that a fan is writing this. They'd know the importance of adhering to the source; just the fact that this takes place between movies requires a significant appreciation of the films.

Tue, 23 Apr 2024, 12:39 #12 Last Edit: Tue, 23 Apr 2024, 12:40 by The Dark Knight
Quote from: Slash Man on Tue, 16 Apr  2024, 23:27Now part of my issue with Batman '89 departing from the source material was that the visuals were leaning way too hard into Batman TAS territory. It went beyond Easter egg territory to become distracting.
Agreed. It went too far in that direction. I'm all for expansion (it has to happen if more stories are to be told) but the comics smoothed the Burtonverse out to be something more conventional.

Quote from: The Dark Knight on Tue, 16 Apr  2024, 10:21When I think about future Burtonverse novels, the immediate aftermath of B89 would be the holy grail. The only other project that could generate similar excitement for me would be a prequel to B89, detailing Batman's early appearances such as the Johnny Gobbs encounter.
Back to this. A novel set immediately after Returns, not weeks or months later, would also interest me a lot too. Deal with Batman having his name cleared, the aftermath of Penguin's deception, what came of Max's company, Bruce longing for Selina (more sightings that amount to nothing) and perhaps the remnants of the circus gang. If the first book sells these projects become more of a possibility.

"Imagination is a quality given a man to compensate him for what he is not, and a sense of humour was provided to console him for what he is."