Batman Resurrections (Batman 89 Sequel Novel)

Started by The Dark Knight, Fri, 12 Apr 2024, 08:11

Previous topic - Next topic
Fri, 12 Apr 2024, 08:11 Last Edit: Mon, 15 Apr 2024, 14:24 by Gotham Knight
Batman Resurrections, set immediately after B89, is being released October 15.

Here's the synopsis:

QuoteThe Joker is dead, but not forgotten. Gotham City is saved, but it is still not safe. By night, its new symbol of hope, Batman, continues his fight to protect the innocent and the powerless. By day, his alter ego, Bruce Wayne, wonders whether there may someday be a future beyond skulking the city's rooftops or the cavernous halls of his stately manor alongside the ever-dutiful Alfred Pennyworth.

But even after death, the Clown Prince of Crime's imprint can be seen in more than just the pavement. Remnants from The Joker's gang are leading wannabes fascinated by his bizarre mystique on a campaign of arson that threatens the city—even as it serves greedy opportunists, including millionaire Max Shreck. And survivors of exposure to The Joker's chemical weapon Smylex continue to crowd Gotham City's main hospital.

To quell the chaos, Batman needs more than his cape and his well-stocked Utility Belt. Bruce Wayne is forced into action, prompting a partnership with a charismatic scientist to help solve the health crisis. But as he works in both the shadows and the light, Bruce finds himself drawn deeper into Gotham City's turmoil than ever before, fueling his obsession to save the city—an obsession that has already driven a wedge between him and Vicki Vale. The loyal Alfred, who had hoped Bruce's efforts as Batman could help him find closure, finds the opposite happening. Nightmares begin to prompt Bruce to ask new questions about the climactic events in the cathedral, and investigations by Commissioner Gordon and reporter Alexander Knox into the arsons only amplify his concerns.

Having told the people of Gotham City that they'd earned a rest from crime, Batman finds the forces of evil growing ever more organized—and orchestrated—by a sinister hand behind the scenes. The World's Greatest Detective must solve the greatest mystery of all: Could The Joker have somehow survived? And could he still have the last laugh against the people of Gotham City?

This sounds way more appealing to me than the comics set after Returns. I especially love that it's going to be a novel, allowing the author to really dig in to the psychological elements and really flesh out details. Not showing costume designs or city aesthetics allows us to imagine them ourselves which I think has more power and a sense of authenticity, especially when the comics don't match up with what we think. I'll be keeping an eye on this.

Pre-order links here:
https://www.penguinrandomhouse.com/books/750157/batman-resurrection-by-john-jackson-miller/

I'll definitely be picking this one up. I think a novel is the proper medium for this kind of story.

While the Burton films were masterpieces by themselves, they lacked continuity when looked at as a complete story. Here's a chance to really explore that period in between movies and create a smoother transition.

While my enjoyment of the story won't hinge on it, I'm curious if any of the previous Batman '89 continuities will be adhered to. Even if it's not an active thought, I predict it won't conflict with the comic or Batman Forever.

I'm in with that "Batman Resurrections" book.

Sounds like a fun read!

"Imagination is a quality given a man to compensate him for what he is not, and a sense of humour was provided to console him for what he is."

Quote from: Slash Man on Sat, 13 Apr  2024, 00:22While the Burton films were masterpieces by themselves, they lacked continuity when looked at as a complete story. Here's a chance to really explore that period in between movies and create a smoother transition.
The novel showing Vicki and Bruce breaking away from each other can give her absence in Returns more meaning. I like the Smylex poisoning victims clogging Gotham hospitals subplot, and I think Shreck will be introduced at some point in the story. It would be neat if he's behind these coordinated arson attacks, just as he used the Red Triangle Circus Gang to force a mayoral recall. A clean segue in to Returns would be good, or at least planting seeds to show where the story will eventually lead.

I like the idea of Max Shreck being expanded upon in this "Resurrections" book, as I think the author can really build upon what we saw out of Max in BR. We get the idea that Bruce and Max were acquainted with one another in BR, and we understand that the business relationship is contentious to say the least, but what led up to that? If, evidently, the aftermath of the Joker's smylex attack on Gotham City is going to be more elaborated upon (and this can go into some incredibly dark places if the author chooses so), I can easily see Max, being the opportunist that he is, swooping in with PR stunts to curry favor with the Gothamites for his own gain. Max was presented as nearly 'untouchable' in BR as far as lawfare goes, but what transpired between B89 and BR for Max to get to that level?

Going back to the aftermath of the Joker's attack on Gotham, I can't help but think of 1954's "Gojira", where following Godzilla's attack on Japan, we see images of people who survived the attack itself, but are now dying of radiation poisoning. With children crying and distraught over their parents slowly dying in front of them, ect. You just know the Joker's "Gotham Shopping Nightmare" had equally horrific outcomes. You made it thru? Great! Now how about every member of your family who lives in Gotham? Your friends? Co-workers? How many famous Gotham socialites perished? I can't imagine it was just models Candy Walker and Amanda Keeler whom unknowingly poisoned themselves with Joker's brand...

"Imagination is a quality given a man to compensate him for what he is not, and a sense of humour was provided to console him for what he is."

If Max was involved in criminal activity in Resurrection (likely) it'd be a neat touch to have him flush it down the drain, which ultimately Penguin shows him in shredded form when he's kidnapped.

It makes me wonder if the author will go as far as explaining Knox's absence in Returns. It's not entirely necessary, because he could absolutely still exist in Gotham but he just wasn't shown again in the films. Or he could've left town after a broken heart or maybe something more sinister happened.

I'd be interested to read about where Joker's body was taken and what they did with it. Perhaps that side of things is heavily obscured by the authorities which leads Bruce to question what really could have happened.

But there would have to be something highly convincing to make such a fall seem survivable if Bruce starts to believe he could still be alive. That's going to be where the story works or doesn't given it seems to be the main crux of this story.

What was done with the Joker's body will be interesting to read play out in the book, especially with the notion of there being remaining Joker goons still at large. Makes me wonder if there's going to be some sort of influence from Detective #64 "The Joker Walks the Last Mile"? Leading the reader to consider the possibility of a Joker return without making it necessarily concrete. I kinda like the idea that we will continually be primed to believe in the notion of the Joker's resurrection/survivial, only for there to be a twist where not all is what it seems. Sorta like a Keyser Soze/Andy Kaufman situation, where due to the Joker's legend and perception, even post-death, can leave someone to believe in something that normally one would consider highly improbable in pretty much any other case.

Honestly, with the whole "Return of the Joker" idea, I can't help but think of Sunsoft's video game sequel to their B89 game that came out back in 1991 I think. Even if it's just very tangentially. As I think the "Resurrections" book will greatly expand upon the idea of such a thing, where the video game was straightforward and very simplistic (I think in the Sega Genesis version, the Joker simply rises up from the Cathedral fall. lol).

I remember as a kid both Vicki and Knox being completely absent in BR was kinda glaring (was that purely coincidental or not? I guess the book will answer this?). Sorta makes me wonder how the book will address both characters. Not saying I want this to happen, but it could be very amusing if Vicki winds up entertaining Knox as a potential romantic interest. Especially following her eventual disillusionment with having a relationship with Bruce. Sure, it would very much be a Joe Jackson "Is she really going out with him?" type of situation for sure, but maybe simple and goofy becomes more appealing following a very complex relationship with Bruce? As much as we see Knox following Vicki around like a lost puppy dog, it's easy to decipher who would be the alpha in that relationship.  ;D

Hi, just wanted to let everyone know that I moved this topic to its own thread. Having said that...

Wha?!

I have a sneaky suspicion that this novel is the direct result of the '89 comic book's success. As you know, the editor of the first mini series, Andy Khouri, let it be known to the public that the '89 comic sold "a ton" of books and was considered not only a success, but blew through expectations. Even the hardcover edition went into a second printing and then some. Considering that physical media is dead that is saying something.

What is clear is that customers are not just buying, but devouring new stories set in the Burton Universe, so somebody at WB pushed the button. This is the next step. I never thought I'd see the day when Burton's Batman got an expanded novel universe, but here we are.

The synopsis sounds like a great start. Max Shreck seems to be positioned as a big antagonist, maybe the puppet master. This was something I toyed with when I was trying my hand at fan fiction. Max Shreck ushers in a new era of villainy. Down goes the mob, the Empire of Grissom, in comes the corporation. Can't wait.

That's what you love to hear. On these "riskier" projects, I do tend to vote with my wallet and buy in person when it's new.

It's funny that the Batman '89 pitch was originally rejected in the wake of Batman '66's success. Did they miss out back then, or was this deliberate to help stagger the releases? It worked out with both series' having periods of renewed interest.

What's interesting is that the BTAS comic series was cancelled due to disappointing sales. It apparently lost when going head to head with Batman '89. I assumed BTAS had a larger fanbase, but more people were buying 89 (I was buying both).

Quote from: Gotham Knight on Mon, 15 Apr  2024, 14:49What is clear is that customers are not just buying, but devouring new stories set in the Burton Universe, so somebody at WB pushed the button. This is the next step. I never thought I'd see the day when Burton's Batman got an expanded novel universe, but here we are.
When I think about future Burtonverse novels, the immediate aftermath of B89 would be the holy grail. The only other project that could generate similar excitement for me would be a prequel to B89, detailing Batman's early appearances such as the Johnny Gobbs encounter. Throw in a side plot involving Grissom and his gang, with details about Bruce's travels and arsenal collection. If Resurrection is a success that's where I'd like the story to go. Anything that goes beyond Returns is hypothetical in execution - at least lead in content has connective tissue to lean on that can help enrich the films themselves. And whether I like it or not, the comics are handling that part of the timeline already.