Batman: Arkham Trilogy Coming to Nintendo Switch

Started by Silver Nemesis, Wed, 21 Jun 2023, 20:38

Previous topic - Next topic
Ever wanted to play the Arkham games on the go? Perhaps while perched atop a gargoyle on a dark and stormy night? Well later this year you'll be able to.

Batman: Arkham Trilogy is coming to Nintendo Switch in October, just in time for Halloween. The collection will include the original game, Arkham City and Arkham Knight plus all the DLC.

I'm definitely getting this. It's been years since I played through the first two games, and I never got around to playing Arkham Knight.

I'm interested in seeing how well Arkham Knight will run on the Switch. I already own these, but depending on how well they look/run, I may pick it up on my Switch.

I might get it, but maybe not. I played all four games so much during their original run that a break of years still isn't enough to make them feel new. I have a number of other things I want to do, namely get through most of the original Goosebumps books, Tintin and Roald Dahl. There's plenty of value in products aimed for children. They're a universal good time and to me it's all about the ideas. Slipping back into nostalgia is also part of the appeal.

The Adventures of Tintin is my all-time favourite comic book series. I always re-read at least a few of those stories every year in the summer. Yesterday I finished re-reading The Seven Crystal Balls and I've just started Prisoners of the Sun. Hergé's adventures never get old and his ligne claire art style remains as captivating today as when the books were first published.

There's a lot of political and historical depth to the Tintin comics. If you get the change, check out the commentaries by Tintinologist Michael Farr where he points out the real life influences behind each book. Also check out the nineties animated TV series, which is superb and ranks alongside Batman: The Animated Series for how well it captures the spirit of the source material. The makers of the TV show adapted every book except Tintin in the Land of the Soviets, Tintin in the Congo (for obvious reasons) and the incomplete Tintin and Alph-Art.

Needless to say R. L. Stine and Roald Dahl are also classic authors whose work can be appreciated as much by adults as by children. As C. S. Lewis observed, "No book is really worth reading at the age of ten which is not equally – and often far more – worth reading at the age of fifty and beyond."

I got this for Christmas. I've heard the port of Arkham Knight is poor, but since I've never played that game I'm just happy to have the chance to experience it now, even if it isn't the best version. Before I do that I'm playing through the original Arkham Asylum again. I played it extensively when it came out in 2009, but I haven't revisited it since before Arkham City was released, well over a decade ago. I'd forgotten how great it is.

Everything about the game is fun. The Metroidvania exploration elements, the combat, the stealth mechanics, the detective sequences – nothing is a slog. The boss fights are unique and inventive, and the art style is on a par with the best Batman movies and comics. I love the level design, and how it offers the player multiple different ways to take down bad guys during the stealth sections. Even if it wasn't a Batman game, Arkham Asylum would be good. The fact it is a Batman game, and that it makes such excellent use of the license, elevates it to the status of a gaming classic. I'm looking forward to replaying Arkham City again, and to playing Arkham Knight for the fist time, but right now I'm just enjoying the original.

Quote from: Silver Nemesis on Tue,  2 Jan  2024, 17:03I got this for Christmas. I've heard the port of Arkham Knight is poor, but since I've never played that game I'm just happy to have the chance to experience it now, even if it isn't the best version. Before I do that I'm playing through the original Arkham Asylum again. I played it extensively when it came out in 2009, but I haven't revisited it since before Arkham City was released, well over a decade ago. I'd forgotten how great it is.

Everything about the game is fun. The Metroidvania exploration elements, the combat, the stealth mechanics, the detective sequences – nothing is a slog. The boss fights are unique and inventive, and the art style is on a par with the best Batman movies and comics. I love the level design, and how it offers the player multiple different ways to take down bad guys during the stealth sections. Even if it wasn't a Batman game, Arkham Asylum would be good. The fact it is a Batman game, and that it makes such excellent use of the license, elevates it to the status of a gaming classic. I'm looking forward to replaying Arkham City again, and to playing Arkham Knight for the fist time, but right now I'm just enjoying the original.
I just got done playing these games over the past couple of years. I finished Arkham Knight back in October.  I loved the first two games. They really are an immersive experience and I loved their versions of these classic characters. As a Batman fan I didn't have any gripes with Asylum or City. Knight was better than what I'd initially heard about it, but I do agree that the use of the Batmobile gets tiring and frustrating after a while.

I do intend to get around to Origins one of these days.

Quote from: BatmanFurst on Tue,  2 Jan  2024, 23:14I do intend to get around to Origins one of these days.

If you haven't bought it yet, you can only buy it on Steam for the PC. It's currently under $10 on sale until Friday.

There were rumours of a remastered edition for the game in development, but nothing has been confirmed.
QuoteJonathan Nolan: He [Batman] has this one rule, as the Joker says in The Dark Knight. But he does wind up breaking it. Does he break it in the third film?

Christopher Nolan: He breaks it in...

Jonathan Nolan: ...the first two.

Source: http://books.google.com.au/books?id=uwV8rddtKRgC&pg=PR8&dq=But+he+does+wind+up+breaking+it.&hl=en&sa=X&ei

I stand corrected, buying AO isn't exclusive to Steam.

QuoteThat is, the Batman: Arkham saga games are currently available for PS4, PS5, Xbox One, Xbox Series X, Xbox Series S and PC. Warner Bros. Games has re-released it in a compilation, although Arkham Origins was not so lucky and can only be purchased on its original platforms (PS3, Xbox 360 and PC). Still, it is backwards compatible on Xbox One, Xbox Series X and Xbox Series S

https://en.as.com/meristation/2022/03/03/news/1646335779_577524.html
QuoteJonathan Nolan: He [Batman] has this one rule, as the Joker says in The Dark Knight. But he does wind up breaking it. Does he break it in the third film?

Christopher Nolan: He breaks it in...

Jonathan Nolan: ...the first two.

Source: http://books.google.com.au/books?id=uwV8rddtKRgC&pg=PR8&dq=But+he+does+wind+up+breaking+it.&hl=en&sa=X&ei

Quote from: BatmanFurst on Tue,  2 Jan  2024, 23:14I just got done playing these games over the past couple of years. I finished Arkham Knight back in October.  I loved the first two games. They really are an immersive experience and I loved their versions of these classic characters. As a Batman fan I didn't have any gripes with Asylum or City. Knight was better than what I'd initially heard about it, but I do agree that the use of the Batmobile gets tiring and frustrating after a while.

I do intend to get around to Origins one of these days.
If WB Games were serious about their gaming future, they would green light a sequel to Origins with Roger Craig Smith. After the desecration we see in the Suicide Squad game, people will likely be demanding a palette cleanser. Conroy is sadly no longer with us, but Smith did a fine job in the role and has been established in this part of the Arkham timeline. Troy Baker as Joker is there if needed to replace Hamill as it's apparent he's done voicing the character. Origins has the best story and boss fights and deserves a proper remaster. Nothing like what we've seen for the Switch. I'll stick to my original copies of the games.

Quote from: BatmanFurst on Tue,  2 Jan  2024, 23:14I do intend to get around to Origins one of these days.

I haven't played Origins either. Most of the criticisms I read of it, back when it first came out, related to glitches and accusations of the game being rushed/incomplete. I'd expect those issues to have been patched by now.

I did play Batman: Arkham Origins Blackgate on the 3DS when it was first released, and I thought it was a solid game. It used a side-scrolling perspective that heightened the Metroidvania vibe, but the core elements of the Arkham series – the combination of stealth, exploration and combat – remained intact.

Hopefully another Arkham collection will be released in the future containing Blackgate and a patched version of Origins. I haven't been following the development of the new Suicide Squad game, but I find the mandatory online element off-putting. I don't have a platform to play it on anyway. But I would buy an Arkham Origins collection if it was released on the Switch.