Punisher

Started by Slash Man, Sun, 11 Jun 2023, 03:26

Previous topic - Next topic
I notice there's no general thread for comic's most beloved antihero, so I'll start one here.

One of my favorite comics of all time might be the one-shot Punisher: No Escape. It's an exhilarating comic from beginning to end - and I do want to stress beginning; just look at that cover painted by Joe Jusko.

Plot wise, this may be your standard Punisher mob revenge story. Though there's something to be said for excellent execution in terms of art and pacing. Furthermore, you get more bang for your buck by adding some crossover characters into the mix; U.S.Agent as backup for the heroes, and Paladin to add a formal supervillain to the conflict.

I've mentioned before that U.S.Agent is one of my favorite superheroes, but sadly hasn't had many good stories since being relegated to a supporting role in the Avengers West Coast. Would you believe that this Punisher story offered more character development for him than all the AWC issues before this point (and then some)?

U.S.Agent is a great guest character for the Punisher because of the dichotomy between the two. Both were soldiers; one during wartime and one during peace. Both are extremely patriotic heroes that love their country, but interpret that in very different ways. Agent embodies this by taking orders directly from his superiors, whereas Punisher has a more flexible moral code when it comes to the acts he'll commit to protect the average citizen. Throughout the story, Agent follows Punisher's example to question authority when he encounters a moral dilemma. This finally has its payoff when Agent refuses an order to assassinate Spider-Woman in AWC 74.

The story keeps most of the status quo intact by the end, but there's enough of a twist that it still feels satisfying.

If you like the Punisher, then I would recommend pretty much anything written by Garth Ennis. He's written quite a lot of Punisher stuff and all of it is well worth reading.

For me, Ennis is definitive.

Sun, 11 Jun 2023, 12:47 #2 Last Edit: Sun, 11 Jun 2023, 12:55 by The Dark Knight
Quote from: Slash Man on Sun, 11 Jun  2023, 03:26
One of my favorite comics of all time might be the one-shot Punisher: No Escape. It's an exhilarating comic from beginning to end - and I do want to stress beginning; just look at that cover painted by Joe Jusko.
I've been thinking about exploring Punisher comics for a while now. I may check this one out first.

I have various issues of The Punisher in my collection, but no complete run or anything like that. I haven't read much of Garth Ennis' tenure on The Punisher, but I do have his version of the last Punisher story that was apart of the "The End" series, and really enjoyed it. I'm probably most familiar with Chuck Dixon's Punisher, and from listening to his "Ask Chuck Dixon" videos on Youtube, his understanding and affection for the character is unmistakably palpable.

"Imagination is a quality given a man to compensate him for what he is not, and a sense of humour was provided to console him for what he is."

I read a trade paperback of The Punisher War Zone Vol. 1 by Chuck Dixon not so long ago. It's about Frank Castle infiltrating a mob family and turning against it from the inside, going undercover as the cousin of one of the mobsters he terrorised, and turning him into his mole in the process. He took this drastic step after his sidekick, Microchip, abandons the war on crime due to his struggles over the death of his son, and gets fed up with Frank's ruthlessness.

Not a bad story if you're in the mood to read an intense early 90s action comic. If I get the chance to read more of the Punisher by Dixon, I'll take it.
QuoteJonathan Nolan: He [Batman] has this one rule, as the Joker says in The Dark Knight. But he does wind up breaking it. Does he break it in the third film?

Christopher Nolan: He breaks it in...

Jonathan Nolan: ...the first two.

Source: http://books.google.com.au/books?id=uwV8rddtKRgC&pg=PR8&dq=But+he+does+wind+up+breaking+it.&hl=en&sa=X&ei

I read this archive from a critic who dismisses Dixon's Punisher War Zone as a "gimmick".

QuoteIn an attempt to read this with more of a critical eye, the comic's biggest flaw is that the Punisher is just not a likeable protagonist – even from an anti-hero standpoint. We know from the onset that he's out for vengeance based on what happened to his family, but the character just cruises from scene to scene, shooting first and rarely ever asking questions. The only character who seemingly attracts any sympathy is Punisher's sidekick Microchip – a computer whiz "Q" type – who tells Castle that vengeance isn't enough and he needs professional counseling to deal with the death of his son. And Punisher becomes even less likeable in that moment (if that's even possible) because he's more concerned with whether or not Micro sold out their partnership to his shrink.

https://web.archive.org/web/20161103073839/https://www.cbr.com/gimmick-or-good-punisher-war-zone-1/

Am I the only who thinks the Punisher doesn't necessarily have to be likeable? He is anti-hero, not a true hero in the traditional sense of the word. In War Zone, Frank is preoccupied with tearing the Carbone family apart from the inside, and is less interested in any sentimentalities that will get in the way of his mission. Looking at his demeanor throughout War Zone, he is cold-blooded and simply wants to enact justice "his way". Either be onboard, or watch out. As for the critic calling Frank creepy...admittedly there is truth to that, as he does have a brief affair with Carbone's soon-to-be-wed daughter. However, with Frank's impetuous atttitude shown throughout War Zone, it doesn't bother me very much.

Sure, there may be other comics that show Frank showing some humanity, I won't pretend to be an expert on the character. But as I said that, if you want a simply action-packed trade paperback to read then you can do much worse.
QuoteJonathan Nolan: He [Batman] has this one rule, as the Joker says in The Dark Knight. But he does wind up breaking it. Does he break it in the third film?

Source: http://books.google.com.au/books?id=uwV8rddtKRgC&pg=PR8&dq=But+he+does+wind+up+breaking+it.&hl=en&sa=X&ei

The column is credited to the CBR staff. Take a look at some CBR headlines and you'll get a better idea of why they look down their nose at Dixon's Punisher. This character and that staff are ideologically incompatible with each other.

Not a mystery.

Sun, 23 Jul 2023, 08:25 #7 Last Edit: Tue, 25 Jul 2023, 00:09 by The Joker
Quote from: The Laughing Fish on Sun, 23 Jul  2023, 05:28I read this archive from a critic who dismisses Dixon's Punisher War Zone as a "gimmick".

"Whoever" CLEARLY has only a cursory knowledge of Dixon's work, and/or chooses to remain uniformed.

QuoteAm I the only who thinks the Punisher doesn't necessarily have to be likeable?

You're not alone.

Likeability is subjective, but there's plenty examples of protagonists in fiction, and non-fiction, that could be construed as unlikable. Doesn't make them any less compelling or interesting. Is that the gist of the critique? That protagonists must be in accordant with one's own subjective worldview and tastes in order to have validity?

QuoteHe is anti-hero, not a true hero in the traditional sense of the word. In War Zone, Frank is preoccupied with tearing the Carbone family apart from the inside, and is less interested in any sentimentalities that will get in the way of his mission. Looking at his demeanor throughout War Zone, he is cold-blooded and simply wants to enact justice "his way". Either be onboard, or watch out. As for the critic calling Frank creepy...admittedly there is truth to that, as he does have a brief affair with Carbone's soon-to-be-wed daughter. However, with Frank's impetuous atttitude shown throughout War Zone, it doesn't bother me very much.

Sure, there may be other comics that show Frank showing some humanity, I won't pretend to be an expert on the character. But as I said that, if you want a simply action-packed trade paperback to read then you can do much worse.

Right on. I believe there was at least an element of the 'crazy Vietnam Vet' trope of the 1970's with the Punisher's creation, but the character overcame that just as history itself of that notion. Dixon's Punisher is not a serial killer, or psychotic, or a sadist, and nor does he have a 'death wish' (as being killed would deprive him of littering Hell itself with miles of corpses of the bad guys he faces). He's a vet who suffered PTSD, witnessed his family being murdered, and that trauma was finally his breaking point to which Frank never comes back. A character who even Chuck Dixon would describe as slobbish, and seemingly displays a lack of empathy, and has zero interest in repairing himself whatsoever. His mission is to kill as many bad guys as he possibly can, which is ultimately done to spare other families that pain.

The Punisher's wish fulfillment appeal really isn't that difficult to figure out, but I would give the CBR staff some credit if they would just come out and state that they hate the Punisher, and absolutely hate the character's fans. At least that would be credible, and not simple-minded 'I don't find the character likeable so wah!' critiques such as this.

"Imagination is a quality given a man to compensate him for what he is not, and a sense of humour was provided to console him for what he is."

Quote from: The Joker on Sun, 23 Jul  2023, 08:25Likeability is subjective, but there's plenty examples of antagonists in fiction, and non-fiction, that could be construed as unlikable. Doesn't make them any less compelling or interesting. Is that the gist of the critique? That antagonists must be in accordant with one's own subjective worldview and tastes in order to have validity?

I agree. Besides, if you try to make too many characters likeable and force them to share the same principles and ideals, you won't get riveting stuff like Daredevil and Punisher arguing over morality and each other's methods ever again. When that happens, you're stuck with unimaginative storytelling.

Quote from: The Joker on Sun, 23 Jul  2023, 08:25The Punisher's wish fulfillment appeal really isn't that difficult to figure out, but I would give the CBR staff some credit if they would just come out and state that they hate the Punisher, and absolutely hate the character's fans. At least that would be credible, and not simple-minded 'I don't find the character likeable so wah!' critiques such as this.

This reminds me of the time when Dixon said in one of his YouTube videos that Marvel Comics have contempt for the Punisher and his fans too, and he pointed out the ridiculousness of contemporary comics giving Frank Castle superpowers. I gotta say, I'm curious to read those, but I worry about potentially wasting time and money on comics that could be rubbish.

It seems to me CBR is simply a mouthpiece for the company's agenda. If Dixon is right then Marvel wants to have their cake and eat it too. You have Jon Bernthal coming back to play the character again so he could be incorporated into the now goofy-natured MCU, but at the same time, they're rather apologetic about the character's existence.

They should either give people the kind of Punisher comics the fans want to read or sell the rights to another company.

I feel like 90% of the time you can simply root for Punisher killing bad guys with no qualms. The exceptions leave the viewer with questions over morality but never outright tell you how you're supposed to feel. You empathize and are entertained, even if you don't agree.