Which Runs Do You Read/Collect?

Started by Slash Man, Tue, 23 May 2023, 01:58

Previous topic - Next topic
I've only gotten serious about reading comics within the past few years, but I've quickly found my niche of heroes/artists/writers that I follow. As with all hobbies, without any kind of limit in mind, it's easy to get overwhelmed.

For me, Spider-Man was probably the first hero I followed as a kid. It goes without saying that the original Ditko era is classic through and through. Romita breathed new life into the character and defined him for years to come. Even past him and Lee, there were always great arcs to be found every so often. I mainly read through Epic Collections, so at least one arc with every volume is great enough to justify the purchase. Though I finally draw the line with the Clone Saga. I can do without the retcons, and all the added lore and science fiction elements stretch the suspension of disbelief. It's very 90s in a way that I haven't become nostalgic for yet.

Batman was my second favorite hero as a kid. I've read hundreds of the original stories, and I'll keep reading so long as DC keeps re-releasing them, though it already looks like they won't make it to the 50s. But regardless, my heart is mostly in the immediate post-Crisis stories of the 80s/90s. Unlike Spider-Man, these were still part of the comic culture when I was growing up, but still stand up beyond nostalgia. My cut-off has been Troika (following the prerequisite Knightfall saga), but I may continue reading on until the point where the classic writers finally drop off.

For Captain America, I actually started with some Mark Gruenwald stories and immediately sought out the rest of his run. I figure this is my stopping point, since I don't think any stories can follow his. For more of the character's lore, I went back to the original silver age run by Lee and Kirby. So far, that's been solid enough for me to read on (I'll try to fill in the blanks from the 60s to the 80s eventually).

As with many projects during the MCU's golden age, I checked out Frank Miller's Daredevil and found that was perfect for coming off of the TV show. I've since read the first few years' of Stan Lee issues, and despite one of the best assortments of rogues, I just didn't find myself as enthralled by the storytelling.

Punisher's solo series' in the 80s/90s have all been solid. Hasn't been a bad take yet, so I plan to keep reading. Though the Circle of Blood miniseries is still top for me.

I found myself delving into the Avengers West Coast series after U.S.Agent was transported there from his main Captain America series. I've read a couple years in, but haven't really been hooked since the initial Vision Quest arc by John Byrne.

Quote from: Slash Man on Tue, 23 May  2023, 01:58Though I finally draw the line with the Clone Saga. I can do without the retcons, and all the added lore and science fiction elements stretch the suspension of disbelief. It's very 90s in a way that I haven't become nostalgic for yet.
If you buy into the idea of a multiverse, there's one out there somewhere in which my fan evolution took me in a Spider-Man direction. But that's not this universe. Here, I tried getting into Spider-Man... just as the Clone Saga was getting underway.

I've since read tons of Spider-Man comics. But sadly, I wasn't able to come at Spider-Man comics as young, hungry comic book fan. As a result, my Spider-Man fandom has always been severely handicapped.

Quote from: Slash Man on Tue, 23 May  2023, 01:58I checked out Frank Miller's Daredevil and found that was perfect for coming off of the TV show. I've since read the first few years' of Stan Lee issues, and despite one of the best assortments of rogues, I just didn't find myself as enthralled by the storytelling.
Be careful. SN and I can talk your head off about Daredevil comics.

Miller is obviously Daredevil's granddaddy and I don't think anyone questions that. But Mack, Bendis, Brubaker and other writers did a lot for Daredevil and created worthy follow-ups to Miller's run. For that matter, I would even include Kevin Smith's run as well. All are worth checking out.

Ann Nocenti (eventually) followed after Miller's Born Again and... I can see strengths in her run. I think I understand what she was trying to do in taking the series in her own direction. Because trying to copycat Miller so soon after Miller himself was a sucker's bet. And clearly, Nocenti wasn't going to fall for that. But honestly, I think the title needed a more experienced writer. I can't help but think Nocenti could've done a better job if she'd had just five more years under her belt. In any case, her run is worth reading. But I would counsel you to try not to think of Miller's work when you read her stuff.

For the past several years, my movie tastes have been shifting away from superheroes and more toward horror. I suppose it's only fitting that my comic book diet has shifted (kind of) similarly.

I've been reading Marvel's old Tomb Of Dracula title. And while I can't speak for anyone else, I think the real franchise of Tomb Of Dracula is Gene Colan's art. Yeah, the title stabilizes once Marv Wolfman settles in. But still, Gene Colan did career best work on that title and that's ultimately my buy-in.

Aside from that, I've been checking out DC's Eighties and Nineties Vertigo stuff. Specifically, the magic stuff. Tim Hunter, Neil Gaiman's Sandman, Alan Moore's Swamp Thing and those related titles. All in all, I've very impressed with the consistent quality of these comics. Clearly, they were a labor of love for the creative teams and it shows on every page. I never paid much attention to Vertigo back in the old days. But now, I can see that I've been missing out on a serious treat.

But for superhero stuff, I've been revisiting Kurt Busiek's Astro City. Esp in today's world, this is a sadly underrated series. For those who don't know, it's basically a pastiche. A little bit of Marvel, a little bit of DC, plenty of familiar concepts and archetypes. Different enough to be unique, yet familiar enough to be recognizable. I encourage everyone to take another look at Astro City. It's prime stuff.

Aside from those things, I've also been picking up a lot of Comicsgate titles and enjoying them thoroughly.

Thank you for the suggestions! I guess I'm not done with DD just yet.

It's not superheroes, but at the moment, I'm collecting some Sons of Anarchy comics, published by BOOM! Studios. It takes place in between seasons of the TV show, serving backstories to key events that haven't been covered e.g. main character Jax Teller getting stabbed while in prison before getting his revenge to murder the capo of the Russian mob. Anybody who has seen the show will appreciate the comics follow the spirit of the show's exploration of the underworld politics and betrayal among SAMCRO and how they deal with allies and enemies.

Pretty good stuff if you're into crime comics.
QuoteJonathan Nolan: He [Batman] has this one rule, as the Joker says in The Dark Knight. But he does wind up breaking it. Does he break it in the third film?

Christopher Nolan: He breaks it in...

Jonathan Nolan: ...the first two.

Source: http://books.google.com.au/books?id=uwV8rddtKRgC&pg=PR8&dq=But+he+does+wind+up+breaking+it.&hl=en&sa=X&ei

I finished reading Ed Brubaker's The Marvels Project: Birth of the Super-Heroes, a retelling of some of Marvel's (or Timely Comics rather) Golden Age era right in the beginning of WWII.

Great book, I really enjoyed the backstories of the original Human Torch and his desire to be understood and feel human coincided with Namor's misguided vengeance against humanity for his people getting butchered by the Nazis; leading up to a huge battle in Coney Island where Human Torch cemented himself as a hero and another battle where Namor's assault on NYC lead to Captain America and co rescuing those who were injured in the attack.

I enjoyed the little character moments with Heinz Kruger writing an unmailed letter to his wife on the night before he assassinated Dr. Erskine during Steve Rogers' Super Soldier experiment, the Angel becoming more driven after a fallen costumed hero he had inspired was killed, and Human Torch disguising himself as a cop because of his desire to always help people, as well as making up for the fires he accidentally set in NYC.

Recommended if you're interested in reading a modern take on the Golden Age.
QuoteJonathan Nolan: He [Batman] has this one rule, as the Joker says in The Dark Knight. But he does wind up breaking it. Does he break it in the third film?

Christopher Nolan: He breaks it in...

Jonathan Nolan: ...the first two.

Source: http://books.google.com.au/books?id=uwV8rddtKRgC&pg=PR8&dq=But+he+does+wind+up+breaking+it.&hl=en&sa=X&ei

I've been reading a bunch of X-Men stuff lately. Obvious things. Claremont, Morrison and Whedon (in 616) and Millar (on Ultimate X-Men) and a bit of Hama (on Wolverine).

Frankly, I've developed a completely new appreciation for X-Men over the last couple of weeks. Such an amazingly rich tapestry. So many interesting characters and conflicts and storylines.

And artist after artist turning out some of the best work of their entire careers. The list is almost endless. Joe Madureira, John Byrne, Dave Cockrum, the Kuberts, Frank Quitely, all of the Image guys, etc.

Much respect to X-Men comics.