Superman: The Movie (1978) and the Comics

Started by Silver Nemesis, Mon, 21 Jan 2013, 20:09

Previous topic - Next topic

I don't see this posted on Youtube, unless I am overlooking it, but here's a very rare teaser for "Superman: The Movie".

Apparently, it's never been included in any of the disc/physical media releases of the film thus far.

https://twitter.com/CapedWonderJim/status/1734990573466222895

"Imagination is a quality given a man to compensate him for what he is not, and a sense of humour was provided to console him for what he is."

The trailer was glimpsed in the extras on one of the discs in that gigantic Superman movie tin boxed set from 2006.

Specifically, it was in one of the documentaries where Donner discussed the opening title sequence for the film. He said words to the effect that he knew he wanted something special for the credits. But he couldn't think of anything good.

By happenstance, he saw the teaser you linked to and hired that post production company to do up STM's opening credit sequence. Apparently, the optical print process for that effect was a gigantic pain in the neck. But it's hard to argue with the results, frankly.

Anyway, as Donner related that anecdote, bits of the teaser are seen in the documentary. And in good quality too. Better, we can safely say, than what Caped Wonder posted to Twitter. So, what this tells us is that somebody high up the food chain has access to top quality versions of those masters.

Anyway, good find.

That big tin box set from 2006 still remains a pretty nice display item, but on the other hand, it also has become a good example/argument to back your dvds up if have the means. As, from what I gather, the dvds that accompany the tin set are rife with disc rot issues unfortunately.

I seem to only have a vague memory of the snippets of footage that one of the documentaries incorporated that you are referring to. Admittedly, I am more familiar with the docs that accompanied the double sided SE dvd release in the early 2000's, but I'm sure said documentary is on the later blu ray set release/recent 4K set releases as well.

"Imagination is a quality given a man to compensate him for what he is not, and a sense of humour was provided to console him for what he is."