Batman: The Doom That Came to Gotham (2023)

Started by Silver Nemesis, Wed, 7 Dec 2022, 13:56

Previous topic - Next topic
A new animated film adapted from the Lovecraft-inspired Elseworlds story is coming out next spring.

From The Hollywood Reporter:

QuoteThe Dark Knight is headed to the 1920s in Batman: The Doom That Came to Gotham, with A Million Little Things actor David Giuntoli starring as Batman.

The actor leads a voice cast that includes Tati Gabrielle as Kai Li Cain, Christopher Gorham as Oliver Queen, John DiMaggio as James Gordon, Patrick Fabian as Harvey Dent, Brian George as Alfred, and Jason Marsden as Dick Grayson and Young Bruce Wayne.

The film is inspired by the 2001 graphic novel by Mike Mignola, Richard Pace and Troy Nixey. It is part of DC's Elseworlds line, which tells stories set outside the DC universe. Sam Liu produces and co-directs, with Christopher Berkeley also co-directing. The film has a script from Jase Ricci.

In Doom That Came to Gotham, explorer Bruce Wayne accidentally unleashes an ancient evil, and returns to Gotham after being away for two decades. Batman battles Lovecraftian supernatural forces and encounters allies and enemies such as Green Arrow, Ra's al Ghul, Mr. Freeze, Killer Croc, Two-Face and James Gordon.

Other members of the cast include Karan Brar as Sanjay "Jay" Tawde; David Dastmalchian as Grendon; Navid Negahban as Ra's al Ghul; Emily O'Brien as Talia al Ghul and Martha Wayne; Tim Russ as Lucius Fox; Matthew Waterson as Jason Blood/Etrigan; Jeffrey Combs as Kirk Langstrom; William Salyers as Cobblepot; Gideon Adlon as Oracle; and Darin De Paul as Thomas Wayne.

Jim Krieg and Kimberly S. Moreau are producing, with Sam Register and Michael Uslan executive producing.

The project, from Warner Bros. Animation, DC and Warner Bros. Home Entertainment, is expected in the spring of 2023.
https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/movies/movie-news/batman-the-doom-that-came-to-gotham-cast-1235275547/

It'll be interesting to hear Jason Marsden play Dick Grayson again. Marsden previously portrayed the Burt Ward version of the character in the live action film Return to the Batcave: The Misadventures of Adam and Burt (2003).

It's also interesting to note that Jeffrey Combs is voicing Kirk Langstrom, since he's famous for starring in numerous Lovecraft adaptations.

Wow, the Angel of Death Zaslav didn't cancel this too? Interesting.

At the very least, I'm willing to hear more about this. I always thought Batman blended successfully with monsters/supernatural horror. So, Batman vs. Lovecraftian monsters is a pretty intriguing idea for my money.

Plus, that Batman up there looks very Mignola'ish to me. Which is also a-okay in my book.

Judging from that image, they've done a better job of capturing Mignola's art style than the makers of the Gotham by Gaslight movie did.

This all sounds great. I'll be keeping an eye out on this. I normally enjoy the animated movies, so I hope this turns out great. And I agree with thecolorsblend, I think Batman blends perfectly with monsters and the supernatural.

I have the comic, and a re-read is in order. Anything spiritually in line with Gotham By Gaslight has my support.

With some notable exceptions, DC animated movies have been pretty poor in recent years. But I've got to admit, this one looks good.

Quote from: The Dark Knight on Thu,  8 Dec  2022, 21:12
I have the comic, and a re-read is in order. Anything spiritually in line with Gotham By Gaslight has my support.

It's been a long time since I read the book. Certainly more than a decade. A re-read is definitely needed before the movie's release.

Between this animated film and the return of the Burton Batman in The Flash, 2023 could mark a stylistic shift for Batman screen media back towards a more Gothic flavour not seen since the nineties. I'm sure most of the regulars on this site would appreciate that.