DC Vertigo

Started by thecolorsblend, Sun, 13 Nov 2022, 16:20

Previous topic - Next topic
In search of something different, I've begun reading some of the old DC Vertigo comics. Moore's Swamp Thing (which was retroactively branded Vertigo), The Books Of Magic, Neil Gaiman's Sandman and some other stuff.

It's... pretty awesome, honestly.

They exist in the DC universe. But the thing that works for me is that you don't see the mainstream DC characters a whole lot. John Constantine, Tim Hunter, the Phantom Stranger, The Endless, etc., they exist in A DC universe. But not the same DC universe where Darkseid exists, if that's how you want to interpret it. I enjoy that because it's like the magic characters have their own corner of DC where they can exist without complicating factors like how (or if) magic-based characters like Captain Marvel (or "Shazam", in our current parlance) fit in.

If you haven't read this "Magicverse" (no idea what else to call it), it's definitely worth checking out.

Quote from: thecolorsblend on Sun, 13 Nov  2022, 16:20
In search of something different, I've begun reading some of the old DC Vertigo comics. Moore's Swamp Thing (which was retroactively branded Vertigo), The Books Of Magic, Neil Gaiman's Sandman and some other stuff.

It's... pretty awesome, honestly.
Sandman is definitely something I'm keen to explore.