She-Hulk: Attorney at Law (Disney+)

Started by Silver Nemesis, Sun, 24 Jul 2022, 11:30

Previous topic - Next topic
Sun, 24 Jul 2022, 11:30 Last Edit: Sun, 24 Jul 2022, 11:33 by Silver Nemesis
I wasn't interested in this show until now. But since Daredevil's in it, I figured it might as well have its own thread. She-Hulk begins streaming on Disney+ on August 17th, so there's not long to wait now.

She-Hulk will mark the first time Cox's Daredevil has appeared in costume since 2018, and it'll be the first time Daredevil and the Hulk have appeared in the same live action production since The Trial of the Incredible Hulk in 1989.

The more I look at it, the more I dig the yellow and red costume. It looks like the same basic design as the suit from the Netflix series, only with the colouring of Matt's original Silver Age costume.

I hope Daredevil gets at least one fight scene in this show. I'm assuming his role is going to be small, but I'm still looking forward to it. It would be great to see Matt back in a courtroom.

I'm also looking forward to seeing Tim Roth back as the Abomination. I've always thought The Incredible Hulk (2008) was one of the most underrated MCU films. It's certainly one of the darkest and least goofy, and I prefer Edward Norton's Banner over Ruffalo's.

These screencaps provide a better look at Daredevil's new costume.

These comments from showrunner Jessica Gao make it sound as if Daredevil's role is more than just a cameo:

Quote"I don't think we ever, in a million years, thought that we would be allowed to use them, because we didn't know what the status was of the character. And then, I can't remember how, we got wind that he was coming back and that it was Charlie Cox, and we were like, 'Wait, does that I mean we can use him? Are we allowed?' And when they told us yeah, I mean, we couldn't believe it, we thought we were being pranked. We just kept writing him in, and we kept rolling with the story just thinking like, 'Okay, any moment now they're going to tell us we can't use them. They made a mistake. They actually don't have the rights.' But it just kept [becoming] more and more real. And it was so hard to keep that secret!"
https://www.forbes.com/sites/paultassi/2022/07/28/daredevil-has-a-significant-role-in-she-hulk-showrunner-confirms/?sh=19f9b71775ca

I hope his role is substantial. The tone is definitely going to reflect a more Silver Age or Mark Waid-era take, but I'm cool with that. As long as the Born Again series is dark and serious in 2024, I don't mind some lighter adventures to tide us over in the meantime. If the Echo series is true to the comics, then that should have a more serious tone too.

This TV spot offers a clearer look at Daredevil in his new suit.

Daredevil aside, the more I see and read about this show the less inclined I am to watch it. I've never subscribed to Disney+ and I don't want to now. I hate the idea of giving Disney money. Depending on how big Daredevil's role is, I might just watch his scenes on YouTube.

I've read leaks that claim he's in two episodes. According to those leaks (SPOILERS) Matt is defending a character that sounds like Melvin Potter, whom Jennifer Walters is prosecuting. They face one another in court and then, owing to some misunderstanding, Daredevil ends up fighting She-Hulk. Matt and Jennifer eventually reconcile, go out for drinks and end up sleeping together. I'm starting to think it would be better if this was a new Daredevil separate from the Netflix version. That way any inconsistencies in his characterisation can be chalked up to him being a different character, and they can go ahead and readapt Born Again for the 2024 series.

Regarding She-Hulk, I'm looking forward to seeing Charlie back, but I'm not sure if I'm going to sign up and watch the entire series. The trailers just don't appeal to me.

Quote from: Silver Nemesis on Sun,  7 Aug  2022, 11:47Daredevil aside, the more I see and read about this show the less inclined I am to watch it.
Quote from: Silver Nemesis on Sun,  7 Aug  2022, 11:47Regarding She-Hulk, I'm looking forward to seeing Charlie back, but I'm not sure if I'm going to sign up and watch the entire series. The trailers just don't appeal to me.
Join the club.

What is this show meant to achieve? No matter how hard I try, I just can't parse out a reason for this show to even exist. A super strong character to serve as an Avengers heavy? We've already got that with the Hulk. A character who can introduce a "legal drama" genre into the MCU? We've already got that with Daredevil (however little has ever been done with that premise). Grrrl power? Plenty of other female MCU characters already embody that, none of whom rely on such sketchy CGI.

I didn't watch NWH simply for Cox's cameo (Hollywood's worst kept secret in years). So, why would I watch She-Hulk?

Projects like this are responsible for the increasing trend of superhero burnout. Every single side character does not need a movie or television series. However it's the natural reaction when their are so many streaming services available now and all in need of content. I think household iconic names like Batman and Superman will always have the public's attention to some extent. But this avalanche of content doesn't help matters.

The latest She-Hulk trailer features some new Daredevil footage.

As a Daredevil fan, I'm actually kind of dreading this now. The costume looks nice, and it's great to see Charlie back, but everything else about this show looks insufferable.

Yeah, I've been trying to curb my enthusiasm over his implementation into the Disney-verse. People keep telling me that there's nothing to worry about, but most of the Disney shows have been laughably bad.

Quote from: Silver Nemesis on Fri,  9 Sep  2022, 19:23As a Daredevil fan, I'm actually kind of dreading this now. The costume looks nice, and it's great to see Charlie back, but everything else about this show looks insufferable.
And here we are.