Granny's Peach Tea

Started by The Laughing Fish, Mon, 16 May 2022, 15:09

Previous topic - Next topic
I see some people still think Lex's callback to Senator Finch's "Granny's Peach Tea" quote before the Capitol bombing was some sort of joke, and complain how "cringe" it is. I've noticed a lot of these people try to use this scene as some sort of "gotcha" against anyone who complains about the humour in other DC films.

Here's the thing though: there was nothing funny about the moment at all. Finch was a political roadblock who tried to undermine Lex from gaining access to the Kryptonite, and Lex began to suspect she was onto him. As crass as the jar might be, Lex using Finch's own words against her was a crude way to eliminate a threat to his plans, as well as the chance to rob Superman the chance to speak for himself at the hearing, and further increase tension and paranoia over his impact on society.

Whether or not the scene is "cringe" is up to the eye of the beholder. I, for one, don't find it any more cringe than some of sh*t that passes for comedy in the so-called Hamadverse productions. Some of it wouldn't be accepted in the MCU, even at its goofiest moments.
QuoteJonathan Nolan: He [Batman] has this one rule, as the Joker says in The Dark Knight. But he does wind up breaking it. Does he break it in the third film?

Christopher Nolan: He breaks it in...

Jonathan Nolan: ...the first two.

Source: http://books.google.com.au/books?id=uwV8rddtKRgC&pg=PR8&dq=But+he+does+wind+up+breaking+it.&hl=en&sa=X&ei

Mon, 16 May 2022, 19:24 #1 Last Edit: Mon, 16 May 2022, 19:27 by Kamdan
Quote from: The Laughing Fish on Mon, 16 May  2022, 15:09
I see some people still think Lex's callback to Senator Finch's "Granny's Peach Tea" quote before the Capitol bombing was some sort of joke, and complain how "cringe" it is. I've noticed a lot of these people try to use this scene as some sort of "gotcha" against anyone who complains about the humour in other DC films.

Here's the thing though: there was nothing funny about the moment at all. Finch was a political roadblock who tried to undermine Lex from gaining access to the Kryptonite, and Lex began to suspect she was onto him. As crass as the jar might be, Lex using Finch's own words against her was a crude way to eliminate a threat to his plans, as well as the chance to rob Superman the chance to speak for himself at the hearing, and further increase tension and paranoia over his impact on society.

Whether or not the scene is "cringe" is up to the eye of the beholder. I, for one, don't find it any more cringe than some of sh*t that passes for comedy in the so-called Hamadverse productions. Some of it wouldn't be accepted in the MCU, even at its goofiest moments.
A number of factors contribute to the "cringe" factor of this scene. It was overtly Dark Knight-inspired, copying the moment when Joker arranged the killing of the Judge and Commissioner with the cryptic Joker cards and gruesome murders of the individuals. The jar full of piss seemed more like a joke from The Joker, who obviously had an influence on how Snyder wanted Eisenberg to portray him. Holly Hunter's severe cigarette stained voice was also a contributing factor and it was a relief when she was finally killed off from the movie. It all lead up to the moment that nobody questioned if audiences wanted to see the Capitol explode with Superman just standing in the middle of it with a practically annoyed face. Looking back, I really wish I had just left the theater after that moment but I wanted to stay for the Doomsday fight, which did nothing for me. It would have been a good jolt to the audience if the Capitol exploding was a dream sequence, but being played out for real made the film never recover from such an extreme scene like that one.