Who would Schumacher have cast

Started by Andrew, Sun, 27 Mar 2022, 19:16

Previous topic - Next topic
As Joker or Penguin or Catwoman if Burton hadn't made his films first or his films had more blatantly been a different continuity?

Or as Batman in '88-'89 if he had gone first? I think he would have gone with huge cool star Bruce Willis.

Joel Schumacher might've opted for somebody like Alec Baldwin, Pierce Brosnan or even Mel Gibson, if he had the chance to direct B89. Kilmer might've been a little too lesser-known back then to be considered.

I believe Jack Nicholson was always going to play the Joker even if Tim Burton didn't direct B89, because Michael Uslan reportedly thought he was the best choice after watching The Shining. With that sort of backing, it would've been hard for any director to really go for someone else.

I do believe Schumacher would've gone for Madonna as Catwoman to capitalise on her pop star status. I can even see Schumacher directing a music video for a Madonna song, as he did for Seal's Kiss From a Rose.

As for Penguin? Hard to say. Me and many others here have imagined what the Penguin would've been like if he was played by Phil Collins or Bob Hoskins. Joe Pesci? Perhaps Schumacher could've offered him the role, as Pesci was still at his peak in 1991/92.
QuoteJonathan Nolan: He [Batman] has this one rule, as the Joker says in The Dark Knight. But he does wind up breaking it. Does he break it in the third film?

Christopher Nolan: He breaks it in...

Jonathan Nolan: ...the first two.

Source: http://books.google.com.au/books?id=uwV8rddtKRgC&pg=PR8&dq=But+he+does+wind+up+breaking+it.&hl=en&sa=X&ei

Quote from: The Laughing Fish on Mon, 28 Mar  2022, 08:42
As for Penguin? Hard to say. Me and many others here have imagined what the Penguin would've been like if he was played by Phil Collins or Bob Hoskins. Joe Pesci? Perhaps Schumacher could've offered him the role, as Pesci was still at his peak in 1991/92.

Glad that DeVito was cast by Burton but Pesci sure was in weird but cool, promising position/prospects in 1991, having just been a big supporting part of both the very much for adults film Goodfellas and the kids/family film Home Alone, both big liked successes.

Starting on June 24, 1989, DeVito's name was the only one anybody was talking about to play the Penguin in whatever sequel was coming to B89. Casting DeVito as the Penguin circa the late Eighties/early Nineties is arguably the biggest no-brainer in cinematic history. Literally everybody predicted that was coming.

So, my guess is Schumacher probably wouldn't have colored too far outside the lines if he'd gotten the chance to cast the Penguin. We'll never know. But I'd be astounded if anybody besides DeVito was ever seriously talked to about that role.

I agree that Jack Nicholson for the Joker, and Danny DeVito for the Penguin were always going to be the #1 choices whether it was Burton or Schumacher directing. The both of them were just foregone conclusions for those parts just as Patrick Stewart for Professor X. Perfect castings for the times.

With Penguin, I think Joe Pesci and Phil Collins would have been interesting choices as far as backups go. Bob Hoskins would have obviously worked too, but I tend to think that a aged Hoskins would have been a better fit as a older, grizzled Oswald within the Nolanverse.

Paul Sorvino might have made a decent Penguin in '92, judging from Goodfellas and Dick Tracy but I don't think he would have had the star power WB would have desired at the time following Jack Nicholson as the next big Batman baddie.

Catwoman, yeah probably Madonna for the star power. Although, I could see Schumacher pursuing Julia Roberts for the same very reason. Or maybe even Valeria Golino if he couldn't get a name actress, and went with Sam Hamm's 1st draft interpretation of Catwoman.

Another thought, is that I wonder how the situation with Robin Williams being used as bait to lure Jack Nicholson for the Joker would have concluded with Schumacher on board in 1988. Would he have been able to smooth things over with Williams? Especially to a extent where Williams might have been more accepting of playing the part of the Riddler years later? There could have been some promises/concessions made. Perhaps with Schumacher pushing for it, as well as acting as a liaison between WB and Williams. We know Schumacher could be very flattering towards actors in attempting to get them to star in a movie that he's directing (I believe he talked up Arnold that Batman and Robin literally couldn't be made unless he signed on)...

"Imagination is a quality given a man to compensate him for what he is not, and a sense of humour was provided to console him for what he is."

Quote from: The Joker on Fri,  1 Apr  2022, 06:00

I agree that Jack Nicholson for the Joker, and Danny DeVito for the Penguin were always going to be the #1 choices whether it was Burton or Schumacher directing. The both of them were just foregone conclusions for those parts just as Patrick Stewart for Professor X. Perfect castings for the times.

With Penguin, I think Joe Pesci and Phil Collins would have been interesting choices as far as backups go. Bob Hoskins would have obviously worked too, but I tend to think that a aged Hoskins would have been a better fit as a older, grizzled Oswald within the Nolanverse.

Paul Sorvino might have made a decent Penguin in '92, judging from Goodfellas and Dick Tracy but I don't think he would have had the star power WB would have desired at the time following Jack Nicholson as the next big Batman baddie.

Catwoman, yeah probably Madonna for the star power. Although, I could see Schumacher pursuing Julia Roberts for the same very reason. Or maybe even Valeria Golino if he couldn't get a name actress, and went with Sam Hamm's 1st draft interpretation of Catwoman.

Another thought, is that I wonder how the situation with Robin Williams being used as bait to lure Jack Nicholson for the Joker would have concluded with Schumacher on board in 1988. Would he have been able to smooth things over with Williams? Especially to a extent where Williams might have been more accepting of playing the part of the Riddler years later? There could have been some promises/concessions made. Perhaps with Schumacher pushing for it, as well as acting as a liaison between WB and Williams. We know Schumacher could be very flattering towards actors in attempting to get them to star in a movie that he's directing (I believe he talked up Arnold that Batman and Robin literally couldn't be made unless he signed on)...

Found this quick snippit regarding williams,

Don't recall ever seeing that clip. Very cool.

Well, it certainly comes across that Robin Williams was at least open to the idea of playing the Riddler in 1993. I remember Joel Schumacher stating in a interview that he personally asked Robin Williams once or twice about accepting the part of the Riddler, and Robin would respond, "I'd love to.", but never could fully commit to signing on. Such a shame. Considering some of the antagonists parts Williams played in the 2000's, we know he could have easily made a memorable Riddler. One of the great 'what if' missed opportunities in Batman cinematic history.

"Imagination is a quality given a man to compensate him for what he is not, and a sense of humour was provided to console him for what he is."

I've never seen that clip before either. Great find! It's nice to hear Williams namedrop the Riddler. He once did an interview with Empire in which he expressed an interest in playing a villain in Nolan's films, since they'd previously collaborated on Insomnia, and he specifically mentioned the Riddler.

Quote"I would work with Chris again in a second, playing anyone in anything. I'd play The Riddler in the next Batman, although it would be hard to top Heath [Ledger] as the villain, and I'm a little hairy for tights. I'm using this article as an ad. Chris, call me, I'll do anything. I could be a great character - or some weird little man in the background in Arkham Asylum."
https://www.ign.com/articles/2010/06/28/williams-wants-riddler-role

I still think the perfect DC role for Williams would have been playing Mister Mxyzptlk opposite his friend Chris Reeve in one of the eighties Superman films, but he could have made a decent Riddler as well.

Quote from: Silver Nemesis on Sat,  2 Apr  2022, 13:36I still think the perfect DC role for Williams would have been playing Mister Mxyzptlk opposite his friend Chris Reeve in one of the eighties Superman films
For a wide variety of reasons, that probably could've been arranged too.

This is old news, but Coolio - who made a cameo appearance in B&R - once said he was going to play the Scarecrow!  ???

Quote from: Coolio
The only reason I did that part was because they promised me the villain part in the following Batman, which they didn't do because Joel Schumacher — they fired him. Me and him didn't get along that great anyway. ... The next Batman the villain was supposed to be the Scarecrow.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/movies/movie-news/coolio-was-courted-play-scarecrow-scrapped-batman-robin-sequel-973978/

Sounds like Scarecrow was going to have a massive departure from the comics. From mad scientist to street race bookie.
QuoteJonathan Nolan: He [Batman] has this one rule, as the Joker says in The Dark Knight. But he does wind up breaking it. Does he break it in the third film?

Christopher Nolan: He breaks it in...

Jonathan Nolan: ...the first two.

Source: http://books.google.com.au/books?id=uwV8rddtKRgC&pg=PR8&dq=But+he+does+wind+up+breaking+it.&hl=en&sa=X&ei