Moon Knight (Disney Plus)

Started by The Laughing Fish, Tue, 18 Jan 2022, 10:59

Previous topic - Next topic
Here is another look at the "Mr Knight" persona.

Rumour has it that Mark Ruffalo might be reprising his role as Bruce Banner in an episode. Hopefully he doesn't come across as a goof this time.
QuoteJonathan Nolan: He [Batman] has this one rule, as the Joker says in The Dark Knight. But he does wind up breaking it. Does he break it in the third film?

Christopher Nolan: He breaks it in...

Jonathan Nolan: ...the first two.

Source: http://books.google.com.au/books?id=uwV8rddtKRgC&pg=PR8&dq=But+he+does+wind+up+breaking+it.&hl=en&sa=X&ei

Quote from: The Laughing Fish on Thu, 10 Mar  2022, 07:46
Here is another look at the "Mr Knight" persona.

I saw this, and some people were comparing it to Janine Lindenmulder's appearance on a Blink-182 album cover back in the day.

;D

QuoteRumour has it that Mark Ruffalo might be reprising his role as Bruce Banner in an episode. Hopefully he doesn't come across as a goof this time.

That would be unexpected at this point, but a rather pleasant surprise.

"Imagination is a quality given a man to compensate him for what he is not, and a sense of humour was provided to console him for what he is."

Quote from: The Joker on Thu, 10 Mar  2022, 21:44
I saw this, and some people were comparing it to Janine Lindenmulder's appearance on a Blink-182 album cover back in the day.

Janine Lindemulder, now that's a name I haven't heard in ages!

This short featurette has the tone of the show being described as Fight Club and Indiana Jones. I can see why they'd mention Indy because of the whole Egypt backstory and the spirit of Khonshou, but I really doubt there is any inspiration taken from Fight Club. This reminds me of the same tired and baseless claim of an MCU movie taking inspiration from The Godfather. It's ridiculous, but blame Marvel's PR for putting the words in the actors' mouths.

With that all said, the show still looks very interesting and has a unique visual style. Ten days to go now.
QuoteJonathan Nolan: He [Batman] has this one rule, as the Joker says in The Dark Knight. But he does wind up breaking it. Does he break it in the third film?

Source: http://books.google.com.au/books?id=uwV8rddtKRgC&pg=PR8&dq=But+he+does+wind+up+breaking+it.&hl=en&sa=X&ei

I watched the first episode.

It's a solid start so far, Ethan Hawke oozes creepiness as the cult leader Arthur Darrow, and the imagery between Khonshu and Steven Grant's sudden blacking out between scenes adds suspense.

My only complaint, though, is that Steven Grant's awkwardness reminds me a little bit of Tom Hardy's portrayal of Eddie Brock in Venom. Him as a goofy gift shop museum worker is obviously a far cry from the days when he was a Bruce Wayne-like billionaire in the early comics, but I think Isaac's English accent is fine. A lot of people complain how forced he is, but I've heard worse. I knew the MCU comedy influence wasn't ever going to go away completely, but as long as the show alternates between Steven and the more badass mercenary Marc Spector - which we got a taste of in the final moments of episode one - I will be satisfied.

I look forward to the next episode.

I watched the second episode. It was alright, but Steven Grant's awkwardness is getting annoying. Episode got better when we saw more of the Marc Spector persona, who is more intense. The imagery of Khonshu is great and Ethan Hawke is still very solid as the villain as Arthur Harrow, menacing without overacting.

Next episode appears to focus on Egypt, maybe a backstory to how Marc Spector got brought back to life? Let's see.

I'm liking it quite a bit. I think it's the best MCU show that Disney+ has made. I get the annoyance of Steven's awkwardness, but I think they're doing a good job of building up to Marc and Moon Knight. I like how Arthur knows Khonshu enough to repeat his talking points that Steven can hear. I do hope we start focusing on Marc a little more, though.

So far, so good.

Quote from: The Laughing Fish on Sat,  2 Apr  2022, 01:17
Ethan Hawke oozes creepiness as the cult leader Arthur Darrow.

Initially, I misread Arthur's last name as Darrow, when it's really Harrow. I definitely misread his name, I must've been thinking of Hugh Darrow, the villain from the game Deus Ex: Human Revolution. Gotta love the name Harrow, when the word itself means distressing and haunting. Classic comic book name.

Quote from: Travesty on Thu,  7 Apr  2022, 13:59
I'm liking it quite a bit. I think it's the best MCU show that Disney+ has made. I get the annoyance of Steven's awkwardness, but I think they're doing a good job of building up to Marc and Moon Knight. I like how Arthur knows Khonshu enough to repeat his talking points that Steven can hear. I do hope we start focusing on Marc a little more, though.

So far, so good.

Yeah, it's fair to point out they needed the distinguish the two personalities, so I definitely can't complain about the idea there. It's just that bit of MCU comedy recurring through Steven that makes me feel he's overstaying his welcome a bit. That sort of comedy was always going to be present, it's the MCU after all, but I believe it will be different with Marc.

Arthur being able to anticipate what Khonshu says without actually being able to hear him is a great scene, I agree.

The third episode is the best one so far. As I had expected, the show gets better when Marc gets the focus. I liked the Ancient Egyptians subplot as Marc and his wife Layla travel around Cairo to search for Arthur and the sarcophagus. One of my friends told me the show takes a lot of liberties with the modern comics by adding supernatural elements such as the scene where Mr Knight and Khonshu change the sky to nighttime to find Ammit's tomb, but I'm fine with that as we immediately saw repercussions of taking that risk.

The Moon Knight fight scene was pretty cool, but I hope we don't see a recurring pattern of Mr Knight interrupting the action for a cheap laugh.

Despite a huge lack of costume action, the last couple of episodes have been rather solid, and the latest episode does a great job in exploring Marc/Steven's backstory while going into surprisingly supernatural territory. Excellent performance by Oscar Isaac, he even humanised the Steven side as well. The goofy stuff with the talking hippo was a bit much though, but that's typical of the MCU nowadays.

I do wonder if the show will end on a satisfying note, though. There's only one more episode left to go, but there are a few things that need to be wrapped up. Here's hoping this mini-series has a great finale in store.

I hated the ending. I don't think I've ever done a 180 on a show like this before? I was loving this up until the last few episodes.

Really disappointed in it.