JRR Tolkien Discussion

Started by thecolorsblend, Sat, 4 Nov 2017, 13:00

Previous topic - Next topic
What annoys me is that they're marketing this as Tolkien. It isn't Tolkien. Tolkien died in 1973 and this is not his story. He wrote his own account of the Second Age, and this isn't it. The Rings of Power is original fan fiction written by people in Hollywood who bought the rights to use certain character names from the appendices of one of Tolkien's books. It's no more canonical to Tolkien's legendarium than Castlevania is to Bram Stoker's writing, or Herman Munster is to Mary Shelley's.

We've now reached the predictable stage of the 'unpopular reboot playbook' where the studio and media smear the fan base as bigots. We just need a cast member to make a big show of quitting social media to complete the victim narrative.

Meanwhile, Amazon has altered its rating system in response to the flood of negative scores. https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/tv/tv-news/lord-of-the-rings-the-rings-of-power-amazon-review-bombed-1235211190/

I don't know if this is true, but some sources are claiming that the IMDb, which is owned by Amazon, is also fudging the audience ratings. Meanwhile on Rotten Tomatoes and Metacritic:

One of two things is happening here. Either fans love the show and it really is just a tiny minority of racist trolls using bots to tank the audience scores, in which case Amazon has nothing to worry about. Or Amazon has antagonised the core Tolkien fan base and is merely exacerbating matters by labelling them as racists instead of addressing their real concerns, in which case the studio has forfeited the support of the target demographic and will likely lose monumental sums of money.

To echo what others have already said – if you love Tolkien's creation, then stick with the books. If you want to see that world brought to life on the screen, then watch Jackson's TLOTR film trilogy. That's all you need.

Something that infuriates me is that when audiences express a negative opinion about something, it's "review bombing".

But when professional critics express a negative opinion about something, they're just doing their job.

It's almost like consumers are expected to lap up whatever nonsense Hollywood sees fit to dole out to them and take it without any amount of critical thought. It's insulting, frankly.

The fact is that there aren't enough racists in the entire world to account for the high number of negative reviews The Rings Of Power has received. The great majority of negative audience reviews can only be from the heart.

But, in an effort to find something to be positive about, the production design for TROP (as I've seen it in trailers and other previews; I have precisely zero intention of ever watching this show) legit does appear to be second to none. Obviously, even the greatest production design in the world can't overcome bad writing, weak characters, a boring story or whatever else. But credit where it's due, it looks like somebody involved in the process spared no effort in the art/production design of the show.

Something else that's positive is that Amazon is creating a space for people to reevaluate Jackson's Hobbit films. Maybe they're not perfect. Maybe Jackson needed another year of preproduction. Maybe there should only have been two films rather than three.

But compared to TROP, The Hobbit trilogy is looking pretty legit to a lot of people these days. And speaking of production design, The Hobbit trilogy is criminally underrated on that subject.

Quote from: Silver Nemesis on Thu, 15 Sep  2022, 16:23
Spot on. Look at the butchery of the Little Mermaid.

Nothing is off limits and it's the same result every time. People don't like what The System is pushing and when that happens the customary defence measures are activated.

TROP is more interested in pushing wokeness than respecting the true spirit of Tolkien, and when the obvious is pointed out the fan becomes the bad guy and a racist by default. Which is now being pushed by original Jackson cast members, who only serve to disgrace themselves by effectively calling many of their own fans racist. If I had any respect for those individuals as people it's now gone. They are going to war against genuine fans who hold genuine passion for their franchise of choice. As a monarch once said, grief is the price we pay for love. These are not trolls relishing the act of critiquing TROP. Their criticisms are real, and in my opinion hold a lot more value than compromised critics who lean left. To dismiss and label them is to keep repeating the same cycle. But it's a cycle that doesn't seem to be stopping as The Powers That Be want entertainment on their terms, and the entertainment itself is incidental to their all important themes.

Recent events have confirmed to me that tradition is important, and in a world that celebrates 'burning it all down' I support preserving what is left.

Quote from: thecolorsblend on Sat,  4 Nov  2017, 13:00
http://variety.com/2017/tv/news/lord-of-the-rings-amazon-1202606519

"Talks" are happening. So let's not make this into more than it is. But if this is happening... I dunno. I mean, I'm going through a major time Tolkien fixation at the moment. Been reading his stuff, watched some of the movies, even tracked down a couple of fan films.

My concern, though, is that Hollywood (of which Amazon is technically a part at this point) always makes sure to insert certain ideas or concepts into their movies and shows, especially lately. The LOTR movies were lucky enough to escape that because they were made before that obnoxious stuff became all but official policy. But any new Tolkien project is likely to include at least two or three of the things that make modern Hollywood suck.

So I'm hopeful... but also a little fearful.
I wrote that on November 04, 2017. So, basically five years ago.

Amazon had five years to create a show which honored Tolkien's writings and his style, stayed faithful to the spirit of his work if not necessarily the exact letter of it and crafted something that would remind the world why we all fell in love with Tolkien's writings so long ago.

Five years and one billion dollars later, all we've got to show for ourselves is TROP.

Also, this thread's first page is precognitive.

Fri, 16 Sep 2022, 14:35 #85 Last Edit: Sat, 17 Sep 2022, 18:24 by thecolorsblend
Something else.

I'm a huge fan of Howard Shore's film scores for the LOTR trilogy. He devised over 100 themes/leitmotifs for those three films. For as much credit as Jackson, Walsh and Boyens deserve for bringing that world to life, the truth is that those movies would be a shadow of themselves without Shore's contributions.

When you instantly know that the narrative is taking place in Mordor, the Shire, Rivendell, Isengard, Lothlorien, Gondor, Rohan or wherever else based exclusively on the music, you know the film score is in a whole other category of quality and craftsmanship.

Simply stunning.

I want to revisit two points.

Quote from: thecolorsblend on Wed,  3 Feb  2021, 04:47I'm prepared to say that The Hobbit films are overdue for a reappraisal.
In light of The Rings Of Power, I find that people are starting to take another look at The Hobbit trilogy. Again, they're not perfect. But they're looking more and more legit all the time with the benefit of comparison. And...

Quote from: thecolorsblend on Wed,  3 Feb  2021, 04:47But if The Hobbit films are still found wanting, well, there's always the Maple Films Edit of the trilogy to condense it all down into a more comprehensible narrative.
This fan edit is four hours long. But it does address many common criticisms of the official films. Plus, the investigation of Dol Guldur and the related material has been separated into its own little hour long "mini movie" that proves (for me, if nobody else) that those scenes with Gandalf, the council and so forth have genuine merit to them. Maybe the context of a Hobbit adaptation is wrong for this story. But it's still a story worth telling, if you ask me.

And The Maple Films Edit is the best of both worlds, honestly.