Strenghts and flaws of the batsuit

Started by Catbat, Sat, 2 Oct 2021, 12:27

Previous topic - Next topic
How do you assess the overall performance (i.e. stealth, solidity) of the '92 batsuit? In particular, what are its main strenghts and flaws?

The BR Batsuit was arguably more flexible than its predecessor, but is a bit less focused on gadgets, as far as combat is concerned. In B89, you saw the Batsuit hiding an taser-powered arm extension to shock a Joker goon and had shield gauntlets that could deflect gunshots and sword attacks. The BR Batsuit lacks those advantages, but it does make up for some high-tech features, such as the cape gliding ability. Batman taking a more direct approach to fight, such as him tackling with the Red Triangle Gang in Gotham Plaza, shows he didn't need those other features and was quick to outsmart his enemies anyway.

Although the BR Batsuit retained the body armour, Catwoman showed the suit was not completely invulnerable, but its armour was still capable of making further upgrades. As you can see when Catwoman's second attempt to claw Batman had failed during the Mistletoe scene.
QuoteJonathan Nolan: He [Batman] has this one rule, as the Joker says in The Dark Knight. But he does wind up breaking it. Does he break it in the third film?

Christopher Nolan: He breaks it in...

Jonathan Nolan: ...the first two.

Source: http://books.google.com.au/books?id=uwV8rddtKRgC&pg=PR8&dq=But+he+does+wind+up+breaking+it.&hl=en&sa=X&ei

I actually what made them deicde to ditch the gauntlets

It seems like Bruce remodeled the suit after B89. In my headcanon, Batman's face-off with the Joker's minions in that alley was a turning point. He realized he needed heavier armor to go up against thugs armed with guns.

In B89, took two to the chest and was put down for a moment. In BR, he got shot probably four or five times by Gordon's men and then fell off a ledge. He was hurting when he landed. But he was still alive and still conscious. I think he took that as proof that his modifications worked.

Quote from: Catbat on Sat,  2 Oct  2021, 12:27
How do you assess the overall performance (i.e. stealth, solidity) of the '92 batsuit? In particular, what are its main strenghts and flaws?
The flaws have already been mentioned. However The Strongman punches Keaton square in the chest and he doesn't flinch. So the armor was robust enough for rough and tumble combat. The built in cape glider gives it a lot of points. From an aesthetic point of view it's a work of art, I think reflecting Furst's Batmobile even better than B89.

Aesthetically speaking, the BR cowl is the best looking mask in any live action superhero movie and it fit Keaton's head/face perfectly.

With regards to functionality, the BR suit was lighter and more flexible than the 89 costume. Contrary to popular belief, Batman could turn his head in the BR cowl. Keaton generally avoided doing so because it made the mask come unglued from his cheek. But he could do it when he needed so, such as during the fight scenes. I doubt he could have turned his head like this in the 89 cowl.

Quote from: Silver Nemesis on Mon,  4 Oct  2021, 11:54
Aesthetically speaking, the BR cowl is the best looking mask in any live action superhero movie and it fit Keaton's head/face perfectly.
Of the original Burton-Schumacher suits I still think it's the best. I'm a yellow oval guy, but I have to say Batfleck's look is extremely hard to beat. In terms of a tactical aesthetic, I'm preferring Pattinson's over Bale's TDK/TDKR suits. I still need to see more from it in action, though.

I think it's the best-looking of any live action suit to date. The long ears, the yellow highlights, the cloak that actually wraps around his arms to envelop him - all my preferred elements. Pair that design with more flexible materials and you've got perfection.