Best Action Scenes

Started by Slash Man, Fri, 20 Aug 2021, 23:59

Previous topic - Next topic
Which films stuck out to you for their action? What scenes worked in particular? For me, a good action scene is comprised of impressive stunts and continuous shots. A lot of fans laud the warehouse scene of Batman v Superman, and appropriately so. But I've gone back to the cathedral fight of Batman, and it still wows me.

To start, Batman dispatches of Philip Tan and George Lane Cooper with ease; two accomplished stuntmen and fighters are more played for laughs. But Clive Curtis really brings the fight with his scenes. Something often missing from "goon fights" is a back and forth: bad guys get knocked down and are promptly forgotten about. Here, Clive and Dave Lea at Batman trade blows and seek to outsmart the other, using the environment to their advantage. Giving Batman a beating isn't something to be taken lightly, but competent stunts make it believable. There's no cutting away when Batman is dodging the hook being hurled at him, and it feels like a comic book scene brought to life. Even more impressive is Joker and Vicki continuing to dance in the background as the scene progresses.

Before the warehouse scene in BvS, my favourite Batman action scene of all time was when he fought the ninja Joker goon in B89. Even though it's only for a short moment, it was exciting to see Batman blocking those swords with such finesse and the sparks added a nice touch. It was so good that the Batman vs. Robin animated film paid homage to it.

QuoteJonathan Nolan: He [Batman] has this one rule, as the Joker says in The Dark Knight. But he does wind up breaking it. Does he break it in the third film?

Christopher Nolan: He breaks it in...

Jonathan Nolan: ...the first two.

Source: http://books.google.com.au/books?id=uwV8rddtKRgC&pg=PR8&dq=But+he+does+wind+up+breaking+it.&hl=en&sa=X&ei

Quote from: Slash Man on Fri, 20 Aug  2021, 23:59
Which films stuck out to you for their action? What scenes worked in particular?
I'm not talking about fights here. In terms of action sequences as an ongoing spectacle Schumacher is hard to beat. Here's a few that stick out:

The opening of Forever with Kilmer fighting off the goons, escaping the vault of acid, dangling from the helicopter, then diving into the ocean.

Batman jumping through the glass into the NygmaTech gala, fighting off the goons, jumping off the skyscraper, surviving the fire with his cape, then being rescued by Dick.

Schumacher had some pretty bonkers action sequences. Say whatever you want about the rest of the movie but the opening of B&R is pretty awesome.

But for me, I keep coming back to the car chase in B89 right after Batman saves Vicki. At first, he's executing a plan. But then, he's forced to improvise. And yet, the whole time he looks completely cool and has everything under control.

It's good action but it also is good character development for Batman.

From the Nolan era I'll go with the Hong Kong sequence, which shows there are no lengths Batman will not go to bring a criminal to justice. After that I'd choose the Tumbler/Batpod pursuit against the Joker and his truck. I've never been a fan of the wisecracking cops, and the Gordon faking his death thing is convoluted. But the action itself is rather exciting. Particularly the way it shows Batman cannot be stopped for long - he'll persevere and keep coming at you.