New Animated show coming to HBO Max

Started by Travesty, Wed, 19 May 2021, 14:10

Previous topic - Next topic
Thu, 20 May 2021, 14:12 #10 Last Edit: Thu, 20 May 2021, 15:21 by Kamdan
Quote from: Silver Nemesis on Thu, 20 May  2021, 11:56

The evoking of those images is my primary fuel of anticipation of how potentially great this series could be. I have for years wanted to commission someone to draw Batman in a similar fashion looming over Gotham Cathedral. What they came up with is very much in line of what I'd like to see it look like.

I'm hoping the style of the show will be mostly 2D with 3D used to add depth to the environments, like what was done for Mask of the Phantasm. Warner Animation has done a great job making new Looney Tunes and Tom & Jerry features that invokes their predecessors. I hope the final result will be like the initial episodes of Batman: The Animated Series before the budget cuts made for the subsequent New Adventures episodes. I trust they learned their lesson with Beware the Batman not to go fully CG.

Quote from: Silver Nemesis on Thu, 20 May  2021, 11:56
My thoughts exactly. I'm concerned about JJ Abrams' name being attached to so many upcoming DC films and TV shows. I understand that his production company is in charge of the whole Justice League Woke enterprise that begins with the new Superman movie, but I don't see why he has to be involved with this too. Hopefully his producer credit is as perfunctory as Burton's was on Batman Forever and he'll have no real creative input.

It's painful to me thinking that Abrams' name is as good as when Steven Spielberg used his name for animated productions like Tiny Toons and Animaniacs in the wake of the success of Roger Rabbit. The extend of Spielberg's involvement was just an idea and to lend credibility. I don't find Abrams to be very credible but I guess he is to a certain crowd. hopefully, that is the extent of his involvement and to be a "cheerleader" when it's time to promote it.

Burton's name on Forever had some initial clout when Keaton was still attached to star in it. Once he finally decided to step out, that's when it became more of Schumacher's show with Goldsman rewriting the script to make it more of its own thing than being the third that followed Burton's first two.

Quote from: Silver Nemesis on Thu, 20 May  2021, 11:56As far as I'm concerned, Matt Reeves hasn't set a foot wrong so far. I like everything I've seen and heard about his new movie and I'm happy to see him collaborating with Timm. This November will mark the tenth anniversary of the final episode of Batman: The Brave & the Bold, and I don't think there's been a great Batman TV show since then. A decade is too long to go without another classic Batman show. We're ready for this.

I also share the appreciation others have expressed for that poster. It's classic Timm artwork that evokes the pre-Robin Golden Age Batman era. It reminds me of these.

Not sure if I've ever said so before. But I almost see The Bat-Man from 'Tec #27-#37 to be different from Batman as we see him from 'Tec #38 and going forward. And if the art is anything to go by, it seems like this series will take more inspiration from The Bat-Man stuff than anything else.

And just so we can be clear with each other, for me that's an absolute joy and triumph. I adore The Bat-Man and hope there's more of that influence in Batman media in the future. Definitely welcome. And not just because the Bronze Age, the Miller Stuff, The Long Halloween and so forth have all been mined very well by this point either.

Quote from: Silver Nemesis on Thu, 20 May  2021, 11:56My thoughts exactly. I'm concerned about JJ Abrams' name being attached to so many upcoming DC films and TV shows. I understand that his production company is in charge of the whole Justice League Woke enterprise that begins with the new Superman movie, but I don't see why he has to be involved with this too. Hopefully his producer credit is as perfunctory as Burton's was on Batman Forever and he'll have no real creative input.

I've wondered the same thing. And I'm toying with a theory that in today's world, every jerk in Hollywood wants to be "The Kevin Feige of [insert franchise]". I wouldn't be shocked if there was some sort of contractual demand on JJ's part that he get producer credit on every DC whatever from now on. Because he's trying to be position himself as "The Kevin Feige of DC's New Movies".

I think my theory holds water since this animated Batman series would've probably gone into preproduction just about the time that TROS started preproduction or even principal photography. At that time, Abrams had no ties whatsoever with WB or Batman or anything else as far as the public record is concerned. For those reasons, it's safe to say that Abrams probably will have no real creative impact on the first season.

The second season, however, is a different argument.

Frankly, I believe there's every reason to be concerned about the control Abrams will probably be able to exert. In spite of the fact that he's a demonstrable franchise-wrecker, he pulls a lot of water in Hollyweird. I worry that Matt Reeves will make an awesome Batman film and then Abrams, who wants all the credit and glory for himself, will chase Reeves away and then wreck everything with DC just like he did with Star Trek and just like he did with Star Wars.

Whatever, there's nothing we can do about it. And AT&T doesn't seem interested in doing anything themselves. So, enjoy what you can while you can, guys. Because it may not last very long, I'm sad to say.

SoooOoOoo, this is the project Timm was working on that was being reported on, rather than a B:TAS continuation?

Actually, I'm kinda relieved about that.

At this stage in the game, I'm more intrigued by Reeves' association with this project than I am Timm and Jar Jar.

Teaser poster looks interesting.   

"Imagination is a quality given a man to compensate him for what he is not, and a sense of humour was provided to console him for what he is."

More excited for this than I have been for anything in a long time.

Quote from: Catwoman on Wed,  8 Sep  2021, 05:01
More excited for this than I have been for anything in a long time.
Long time no see, wow.