Batman: The Long Halloween Part Two (2021)

Started by Silver Nemesis, Wed, 19 May 2021, 10:10

Previous topic - Next topic

Quote from: zDBZ on Sun,  1 Aug  2021, 16:11
https://collider.com/why-dc-animated-movies-dont-look-like-graphic-novel-comics-art/
Time is money. Of course animated can be produced that greatly resembles a comic book artist's style. It's just a question of how much time (and therefore, money) you're willing to spend.

I can understand and even sympathize with wanting to keep production costs low. These DC animated films have a glass ceiling of profitability. The movies have to be produced on a certain budget in order to maintain that profitability.

But let's not kid ourselves, it is absolutely possible to produce animated that resembles even a quirky and detailed comic book art style. And as my prooftext...

It's just probably not super profitable to do it that way considering the market(s) the DC animated films are geared for.

I've seen both parts. If I had zero knowledge of the source material I'd like it a lot more. But I know the source material well. If you're going to call something The Long Halloween, how about adhering more faithfully to the plot beats? How about staying true to the page and simply translate what's there? The filmmakers had plenty of material and two parts to work within. And yet they inserted new content which in my mind makes it something else entirely. This could have been something special, but the ball was fumbled. I can't completely get on board with it. Again, I'm so glad we received TDK Returns when we did.

Quote from: The Dark Knight on Mon,  2 Aug  2021, 01:37
I've seen both parts. If I had zero knowledge of the source material I'd like it a lot more. But I know the source material well. If you're going to call something The Long Halloween, how about adhering more faithfully to the plot beats? How about staying true to the page and simply translate what's there? The filmmakers had plenty of material and two parts to work within. And yet they inserted new content which in my mind makes it something else entirely. This could have been something special, but the ball was fumbled. I can't completely get on board with it. Again, I'm so glad we received TDK Returns when we did.
The Killing Joke, Gotham By Gaslight and Hush have rly put me on my guard about this more recent crop of animated movies.

So, I just read the wiki page about the animated TLH. And... why? Did the filmmakers just not read the story or something? Gilda isn't Holiday. Alberto is. Comic book Gilda didn't have the means, motive or opportunity to commit at least half of Holiday's murders. Alberto had MMO to commit all of them.

I mean, changes were inevitable. TLH is so episodic that you can't animate pages and put them onscreen. But the main ideas of comic book TLH are "Harvey Dent becomes Two-Face" and "Who is Holiday?". You can lose other things. Even the subplot of Gotham City's transition away from pinstriped gangsters to garish supervillains. But screwing up either of those two main plotlines is just plain unforgivable. You pretty much have to TRY to screw those things up.

I just don't get it.