Venom: Let There Be Carnage (2021)

Started by The Joker, Mon, 10 May 2021, 22:14

Previous topic - Next topic

Official trailer is up:

I really dig the casting of Hardy as Brock, and Harrelson as Kasady, but this just isn't where I would have gone with it. The Venom symbiote's personality is way too MCU-goofball slapstick for my tastes, but I guess with the working relationship of merging the Sony Spider-Man properties with Disney's Marvel, you'll have your synergy along with the "wonderful" MCU formula.

Oh well. Hope the Venom vs Carnage fights are, at least, entertaining....

P.S. "Maximum Carnage" as the subtitle would have been better. Come on.

"Imagination is a quality given a man to compensate him for what he is not, and a sense of humour was provided to console him for what he is."

2nd trailer

With Andy Serkis directing this one, thus a different director from the 1st Venom movie, I was really hoping for a noticeable change in tone that would be, a bit more harder edge in approach. Evidently, Serkis' approach doesn't appear to be a whole hell of a lot different than the Venom movie that we got in 2018 from what I can tell. Which is ehhhh, ok I guess? Just not something that makes me overly enthusiastic about the sequel that's for sure. Which is disheartening to say as a Venom guy.

These Venom films just leave me with mixed feelings all around. Tom Hardy as Eddie Brock? Woody Harrelson as Cletus Kasady? Great! The looks of Venom and Carnage? Outstanding! Venom being more like the hulk-like beast he was originally portrayed as being, along with Carnage appearing even more vicious, but noticeably thinner than Venom ... good attention to detail guys. Hell, I even like the way Cletus obtains the Carnage symbiote in this version.  A+ on all that!

Then there's the problems ... the pg-13 approach,  ...  I Can't speak for Harrelson's Carnage, but the personality of the Venom symbiote, and his relationship with Eddie comes across as waaaay too Disney mcu schtick-like for my tastes. To me, that humor is beyond played out. It's like I'm glad the symbiote is finally shown to actually have a independent personality, unlike what we were given in 2007, but it's sincerely NOT the way I would have gone about it. Never mind it being much less interesting than the socialization drama that could be incorporated in what was originally conveyed as a rather unhealthy codependency where the host is legitimately suffering from ptsd, with the symbiote initially requiring a human host as a necessity for survival, then later developing a emotional bond with it's host, along with a shared resentment of abandonment.

Oh, the potential that could've been had ...

"Imagination is a quality given a man to compensate him for what he is not, and a sense of humour was provided to console him for what he is."

Supposed leaked post credit sequence:

The Venom symbiote tells Eddie Brock that he will show him 'one second' of what he and his kind have went through, and Eddie is then transported into the MCU where he sees the mouse's Spider-Man on the television. The sequence concludes with the Symbiote remarking that he hates him but admits he looks 'tasty'.

The House of the Mouse sure are incorporating a lot of universes here lately.

Just checked this out tonight.

Quick thoughts, cause I really don't want to give it a big review:

Much like a majority of Disney's MCU, this is an action-comedy. Thru and thru. Like, even more so than Sony's 1st Venom movie. Venom's dialogue is continually (and I mean CONTINUALLY) played for laughs. To a point, where a laugh track wouldn't feel necessarily out of place in this film. Can't say that I was at all pleased with Carnage either. I kept thinking how underutilized he was in this movie, considering the potential he has a villain, and I really didn't like the angle of making him sorta sympathetic as well. Which, as I've stated in previous posts, is just a shame considering the actors for both Eddie and Cletus, and their looks as Venom and Carnage being very on point.

A potential crossover was indeed addressed, I am just not enthused anymore.