Kryptonian writing on Superman's costume

Started by The Laughing Fish, Tue, 4 May 2021, 13:04

Previous topic - Next topic
I watched a Superman character featurette the other day. To my surprise, costume designer Michael Wilkinson confirmed Superman's costume in BvS is embedded with Kryptonian writing. The script translates a quote from writer Joseph Campbell, known for his theory of the Hero's Journey.

Snyder references Campbell a lot when talking about his DCEU films. As I understand, the Hero's Journey sets a guideline and template for character development, starting from their backstory to their awakening, progressing with their struggles and defeats to concluding with their redemptions and triumphs. Clark is the foundation of the DCEU. From the moment he embarked on his journey to discover his Kryptonian heritage and how it alerted the world about the possibility of alien existence, to then becoming the focus of debate and how his death set off a beacon for metahumans to join forces to prepare a far greater threat. Which would ultimately result in his resurrection, only to later have him fall victim of Darkseid's brainwashing, as we were given a glimpse of the future during ZSJL, and then making his redemption again at the end of the planned five film story arc.

The Kryptonian language was created by linguist anthropologist Dr. Christine Schreyer. The image below contains a picture of Superman with the Campbell quotes pinpointed around his suit for reference.

Dr. Schreyer confirmed she worked on creating the Atlantean language for ZSJL too.

https://twitter.com/C_Schreyer/status/1388931586788237319

It may not be noticeable soemtimes, but I love the sort of detail Snyder puts into these characters.
QuoteJonathan Nolan: He [Batman] has this one rule, as the Joker says in The Dark Knight. But he does wind up breaking it. Does he break it in the third film?

Christopher Nolan: He breaks it in...

Jonathan Nolan: ...the first two.

Source: http://books.google.com.au/books?id=uwV8rddtKRgC&pg=PR8&dq=But+he+does+wind+up+breaking+it.&hl=en&sa=X&ei