Chris Terrio SLAMS WB over the theatrical cuts of BvS and JL

Started by The Laughing Fish, Fri, 9 Apr 2021, 11:58

Previous topic - Next topic
https://www.vanityfair.com/hollywood/2021/04/chris-terrio-justice-league-batman-v-superman

Terrio doesn't hold back. From expressing his frustrations over BvS's running time getting reduced to two and a half hours, to wanting to take his name off the credits of Josstice League, he clearly has a lot of resentment towards Warner Butchers for exacerbating the criticisms leveled against him.

I love how Terrio called out Warner for having an earlier draft of Batman branding Lex in BvS, and I'm glad that he was against the idea. Such an ending would've undermined Batman's entire character arc, and yet, Warner has the nerve to think Terrio's writing is "too dark". How rich.

I recommend everyone to read this interview.
QuoteJonathan Nolan: He [Batman] has this one rule, as the Joker says in The Dark Knight. But he does wind up breaking it. Does he break it in the third film?

Christopher Nolan: He breaks it in...

Jonathan Nolan: ...the first two.

Source: http://books.google.com.au/books?id=uwV8rddtKRgC&pg=PR8&dq=But+he+does+wind+up+breaking+it.&hl=en&sa=X&ei

Had the VF article bookmarked in my temp/junk folder for later reading. Figured I'd probably post something about it later. But since we're here, this part stood out to me:

QuoteWhat gave you that sense?
Right before the time of Batman/Superman, I was asked to attend an event in New York where the cast and filmmakers were paraded in front of a room of investors at the Time Warner Center, I guess to convince them that their money was in good hands.

What happened there?
These guys were in charge because they controlled the money at the very top of the pyramid. They were making big decisions—not the film executives we're talking about, but Wall Street guys. One guy, who I can only describe as the man who Central Casting sends you when you're trying to cast Douchebag #1, pulled me aside and started telling me how to write Batman.

I'm not naive. I know that if you don't want to have any back-and-forth with the money people, then you should write poetry because you don't need hundreds of millions of dollars. But something about the distribution of power at that time just seemed off to me. It was removing even the pretense that capital wasn't calling the shots.

Up to now, much has been said about WB's antics. But this bit here shined a bit of a different light on things. Which isn't to say WB was run by kindhearted saints with the best intentions back in 2017. Still, we do get a glimpse of what WB was up against. They had their own pressures from upstairs to manage. Clearly, "the investors" wanted MCU levels of success. But the cast and crew weren't making MCU films. So, in a creative sense, the Snyderverse should've been judged on those grounds.

Still, if you've ever met these types of people, you know that whatever they've invested in baby bottles and toilet paper. They're invested in a profit-turning venture, not specifically a film. I'm not saying those people aren't fans (but in some cases, they're rly not), but they're only interested in the bottom line.

Yes, I think the Disneybots on Twitter played their role in sinking BVS's ship. Yes, WB could've handled things better. But, as has been my point with AT&T, when the people who basically own your movie studio tell you what's up, you have no choice but to smile, listen and obey. Period.

So, yes, I still hold WB responsible for the Josstice League. But at least now we're getting a bit more info as to some other factors that were at play.

And that's valuable.

Contrary to reports about the Snyder cut being "unwatchable" by those sabotaging studios execs, editor David Brenner confirmed a rough two hour and forty-five minute cut was never screened to any audiences, only to the execs. They immediately assumed they had to inject more humour and that's when they brought in Whedon. You can hear the statement at the 15:28 mark on this podcast.

https://theroughcutpod.com/zs-justice-league/

So, not only Terrio was completely sidelined and even omitted from attending the premiere, the studio didn't even screen JL in front of a test audience. The audacity of this crap studio to constantly lie is astounding and irritating beyond belief.
QuoteJonathan Nolan: He [Batman] has this one rule, as the Joker says in The Dark Knight. But he does wind up breaking it. Does he break it in the third film?

Christopher Nolan: He breaks it in...

Jonathan Nolan: ...the first two.

Source: http://books.google.com.au/books?id=uwV8rddtKRgC&pg=PR8&dq=But+he+does+wind+up+breaking+it.&hl=en&sa=X&ei