Batman '89 (2021)

Started by Silver Nemesis, Tue, 16 Feb 2021, 21:05

Previous topic - Next topic

Joe Quinones has recently shared some of his early character designs for Batman'89.

Evidently, there's also was/is going to be a Batman Beyond inspired Jokerz in this continuation to the Burtonverse.

"Imagination is a quality given a man to compensate him for what he is not, and a sense of humour was provided to console him for what he is."

I think that the fact that this is certainly going to be a costly endeavor is proof positive that this will be a tie in book used to promote the appearance of Keaton in the Flashpoint movie. The move to tap Hamm to write it as a limited series I think speaks to this as well. I am convinced that Pfeiffer has already been contacted for appearing. Anybody that is getting a check here probably has and it is possible Hamm may be acting as consultant to the project.  Barring any of that, I'm just tickled pink to have this series and do not care if I turn out to be wrong. Can't wait for the Hardcover. Will collect in every format.

Quote from: The Joker on Wed, 17 Feb  2021, 01:40
Evidently, there's also was/is going to be a Batman Beyond inspired Jokerz in this continuation to the Burtonverse.

I'm all for this and it could bear fruit in the future.

Quote from: The Dark Knight on Fri, 26 Jun  2020, 15:24
The Jokerz would be fitting for a Burton film given B89 and BR both feature clown gangs.

Quote from: Gotham Knight on Wed, 17 Feb  2021, 01:44
I am convinced that Pfeiffer has already been contacted for appearing. Anybody that is getting a check here probably has and it is possible Hamm may be acting as consultant to the project.
Good chance I think. Billy Dee appeared in TROS recently so he's not against such projects if he's offered. You'd expect him to jump at the opportunity and see it as unfinished business. 

Joe Quinones has recently shared some of his early character designs for Batman'89.

You know Quinones is a huge fan of Burton's Batman when his design of underarmor Bruce Wayne resembles the Batman Returns action figure.

http://www.1989batman.com/2013/07/merchandise-spotlight-bruce-wayne.html?m=1

I love how adding a moustache on Michael Gough's Alfred gives him a strong resemblence to Alan Napier, and the character design of Prince as one of the Jokerz gang members is perfect.  8)

I hope we get to see these designs in the comic.
QuoteJonathan Nolan: He [Batman] has this one rule, as the Joker says in The Dark Knight. But he does wind up breaking it. Does he break it in the third film?

Christopher Nolan: He breaks it in...

Jonathan Nolan: ...the first two.

Source: http://books.google.com.au/books?id=uwV8rddtKRgC&pg=PR8&dq=But+he+does+wind+up+breaking+it.&hl=en&sa=X&ei

Quote from: The Laughing Fish on Wed, 17 Feb  2021, 02:11
and the character design of Prince as one of the Jokerz gang members is perfect.  8)

Exactly my thoughts as well.  :D

"Imagination is a quality given a man to compensate him for what he is not, and a sense of humour was provided to console him for what he is."

Quote from: The Laughing Fish on Wed, 17 Feb  2021, 02:11You know Quinones is a huge fan of Burton's Batman when his design of underarmor Bruce Wayne resembles the Batman Returns action figure.

If you hadn't pointed that out, I would've had to.

But since you got there first, let me just add that the business suit Wayne strongly resembles Timm's OG BTAS design.

As to the characters, I can't be sure but likenesses could be a problem here. I doubt the likenesses could be obtained easily (or cheaply) from Keaton, Pfeiffer, Williams, Hingle's estate, Gough's estate, etc. So the costume designs, set designs, props, etc, will probably be all familiar. But don't be too surprised if the characters don't quite resemble their irl counterparts.

Andrew Marino put the teams together and tweeted he's "been keeping these under the hat for almost a year now."

He adds "every line is filled with so much joy and personality, it truly feels like I'm seeing Reeve or Keaton back in their worlds" and "they're giving everyone more of these characters that's so authentic and real."

This is Andy Khouri's last project as a DC staffer and confirmed "both the Burton films are canon. This takes place after Batman Returns." He told artist Joe Quinones "what you've done is beautiful, and it will be bought and read again and again forever."

Quote from: thecolorsblend on Wed, 17 Feb  2021, 05:13
Quote from: The Laughing Fish on Wed, 17 Feb  2021, 02:11You know Quinones is a huge fan of Burton's Batman when his design of underarmor Bruce Wayne resembles the Batman Returns action figure.

If you hadn't pointed that out, I would've had to.

But since you got there first, let me just add that the business suit Wayne strongly resembles Timm's OG BTAS design.

Yeah, good pick-up on the business suit.

As Quinones noted in those early designs, the Batsuit takes some inspiration from BTAS with the glowing eyes and the inside of the cape being dark blue.

Quote from: thecolorsblend on Wed, 17 Feb  2021, 05:13
As to the characters, I can't be sure but likenesses could be a problem here. I doubt the likenesses could be obtained easily (or cheaply) from Keaton, Pfeiffer, Williams, Hingle's estate, Gough's estate, etc. So the costume designs, set designs, props, etc, will probably be all familiar. But don't be too surprised if the characters don't quite resemble their irl counterparts.

Good point. When we were all talking about the original pitch back in 2016, I remember saying the issue over royalties might've stopped the project from going ahead. I predict Keaton's likeness will be used because from a marketing point of view, it makes too much sense now that he's returning for The Flash. But if Keaton asks too much in royalties, I could see Quinones draw Batman this way:

https://13thdimension.com/13-great-illustrations-the-batman-89-art-of-joe-quinones/

It's not terrible, but it would be a downgrade. It would be a shame if he is prevented from drawing Keaton's Batman as accurately as possible.

Royalties could definitely be a problem with other parties. In that sense, Prince's likeness would have to be heavily redesigned or removed altogether, because I can only assume his estate would demand a very large fee.

Come to think of it, I'm taking another look at Alfred and there are noticeable differences from Michael Gough's features. If you look at the character design's profile carefully, it seems to incorporate some of Alan Napier's facial features, and even the hairstyle resembles Napier's. The only difference is this Alfred has a protruding chin, which Gough and Napier never had. If this design becomes final, maybe this helps avoid paying any royalties to Gough's estate?

Looking back at the Jokerz early designs again, and I love how many Easter eggs they have besides Prince. You've got the Mohawk guy on the far left wearing a Mutant visor from The Dark Knight Returns and a Joker goon jacket from B89. The twins resemble the Dee Dee twins from Batman Beyond: Return of the Joker, carrying crowbars as a nod to The Killing Joke and wearing outfits resembling the ones that the Vicki Vale dancers wore in Prince's Batdance music video.

Even if these designs aren't final, I appreciate Quinones for putting so much attention to detail. If this is the sort of effort we can expect from him, the final product is going to be very exciting.
QuoteJonathan Nolan: He [Batman] has this one rule, as the Joker says in The Dark Knight. But he does wind up breaking it. Does he break it in the third film?

Source: http://books.google.com.au/books?id=uwV8rddtKRgC&pg=PR8&dq=But+he+does+wind+up+breaking+it.&hl=en&sa=X&ei

^Oh, and I forgot to mention, the second gang member to the left appears to be wearing Jack's jacket with the acid-spewing flower, but with the sleeves cut off.

I could look at these character designs all day. Love them!

Thu, 18 Feb 2021, 02:09 #29 Last Edit: Thu, 18 Feb 2021, 02:11 by GBglide
I prefer things to look more like the movie. If they can't get Keaton's likeness, why bother with the comic.

So, In the the mode of a bitchy, entitled fan. Here are the things I want changed:

No lenses in the batsuit. Other than that, it looks great.

I want Bruce to look as much like Keaton as possible.

I prefer Alfred to look like Michael Gough.

I can't stress enough how important for me it is how Gotham city looks! (it's one of my top wants)
I want Gotham to be Anton Furst's designs, from both movie and comic. Use Bo Welch's designs when necessary. As for Wayne Manor, use Knebworth house.

That being said, I really like the designs shown here.  :)