Batman '89 (2021)

Started by Silver Nemesis, Tue, 16 Feb 2021, 21:05

Previous topic - Next topic
Quote from: The Dark Knight on Tue, 16 Feb  2021, 22:30
Anything that appears here will have to have been carefully considered as canon and elements will surely feature in Flashpoint, even if it's through minimal dialogue referencing the past.

I wonder if we could also infer something about the actors reprising their roles in The Flash movie. When the B89 and BR comic adaptations came out, DC had to pay royalties to the actors whose likenesses they used. Could the return of the Burtonverse Catwoman and Two-Face in this comic, and presumably the use of their likenesses, also signify the actors returning in The Flash? Perhaps DC has secured permission to use their likenesses as part of a larger merchandising campaign for the new movie (action figures, posters, etc). I'm probably jumping the gun with this inference, but it's something to think about.

I'm glad they brought back Sam Hamm to write this rather than Daniel Waters, simply because Hamm has a proven track record working in the medium: https://comicvine.gamespot.com/sam-hamm/4040-41467/

I expect most fans have already read Blind Justice, but in case anyone here hasn't it's worth checking out.

Does anyone else think the building in the bottom right of the preview art looks like the one from Batman and Catwoman's first fight?

Quote from: Silver Nemesis on Tue, 16 Feb  2021, 21:05
Written by Sam Hamm and drawn by artist Joe Quinones, this new comic book series promises the return of Pfeiffer's Catwoman, Bill Dee Williams' Two-Face and the debut of a new Robin. This more or less confirms the reports that the upcoming Keaton movie(s) will separate the Burtonverse from the Schumacherverse. The comic launches digitally on July 27th and will be published in chapters, followed by a hardback collection in October.

With filming on The Flash scheduled for spring and the new comic launching in summer, I think it's fair to say that the second era of the Burton Batman is about to begin!

The return of Pfeiffer's Catwoman and finally getting the official story of how Harvey became Two-Face in that universe is so exciting! Question though, when it comes to Catwoman would you be more interested if Daniel Waters was co-writing since his version of Selina did differ from Hamm's version?

Quote from: BatmanFurst on Tue, 16 Feb  2021, 23:10
Question though, when it comes to Catwoman would you be more interested if Daniel Waters was co-writing since his version of Selina did differ from Hamm's version?

You raise an interesting point. One thing that Waters definitely did better than Hamm was his treatment of the Catwoman character. Hamm's take on Selina was very two-dimensional and unsympathetic compared to Waters' iconic version. I'm assuming Hamm will recognise this himself and stick with the established characterisation. I suppose they could bring Waters in as a consultant, but I don't think it's essential.

I'm surprised that DC hasn't called in Richard Donner to work on Superman '78, considering his past experience writing comics: https://comicvine.gamespot.com/richard-donner/4040-41948/

Quote from: Silver Nemesis on Tue, 16 Feb  2021, 23:08
I wonder if we could also infer something about the actors reprising their roles in The Flash movie.
The thought crossed my mind. Michelle would be the biggest name they could get back, and she's up for it.

I'm glad they brought back Sam Hamm to write this rather than Daniel Waters, simply because Hamm has a proven track record working in the medium: https://comicvine.gamespot.com/sam-hamm/4040-41467/
Having Hamm gives the project a sense of authenticity. I can believe this is canon with him on board. The aftermath of Returns makes this a proper project to be excited about. It's just a question as to how far into the future things go, or if it remains self contained to the 1990s without explicitly commenting on how things ended up with characters like Robin.

Does anyone else think the building in the bottom right of the preview art looks like the one from Batman and Catwoman's first fight?
Looks very similar. The way they treat Gotham here will be very interesting. An amalgamation of both B89/BR versions?

Quote from: Silver Nemesis on Tue, 16 Feb  2021, 23:22
I'm surprised that DC hasn't called in Richard Donner to work on Superman '78, considering his past experience writing comics: https://comicvine.gamespot.com/richard-donner/4040-41948/
I notice the Superman project is remaining in the timeline of the original film, and not going past Superman II. That's the safe option because then the issue of Superman Returns is sidestepped. But I'm unsure just how much can be done within the timeline of Superman 78 in terms of villains and the like. The B89 comic has a lot more room to play with and moves forward. A continuation of Superman IV would've been a better idea.

Yeah, perhaps there has been a conversation with Donner, going over ideas on where he would have liked to have taken the franchise if history would have played out differently. Although he collaborated with Geoff Johns back in, I think, 2006, I think a "story idea" credit for the Superman '78 comic might not be out of the realm of possibility here.

Oh, and yeah I definitely agree on Daniel Waters turning in a much more interesting Catwoman with his script than what Sam Hamm had initially came up with. That's for sure. As a writer, it can be seen as a challenge to adhere to someone else vision that is now fundamentally accepted as the Burtonverse version of Catwoman, but I think Hamm can and will rise up to that challenge with no problems whatsoever.

"Imagination is a quality given a man to compensate him for what he is not, and a sense of humour was provided to console him for what he is."

Quote from: BatmanFurst on Tue, 16 Feb  2021, 23:10
Question though, when it comes to Catwoman would you be more interested if Daniel Waters was co-writing since his version of Selina did differ from Hamm's version?

You raise an interesting point. One thing that Waters definitely did better than Hamm was his treatment of the Catwoman character. Hamm's take on Selina was very two-dimensional and unsympathetic compared to Waters' iconic version. I'm assuming Hamm will recognise this himself and stick with the established characterisation. I suppose they could bring Waters in as a consultant, but I don't think it's essential.

Yeah I don't think it's essential either. That's one area that's a big question mark at the end of Returns. There are so many directions that you can take the Catwoman character after that film.

Quote from: The Joker on Wed, 17 Feb  2021, 00:42

Yeah, perhaps there has been a conversation with Donner, going over ideas on where he would have liked to have taken the franchise if history would have played out differently. Although he collaborated with Geoff Johns back in, I think, 2006, I think a "story idea" credit for the Superman '78 comic might not be out of the realm of possibility here.

Oh, and yeah I definitely agree on Daniel Waters turning in a much more interesting Catwoman with his script than what Sam Hamm had initially came up with. That's for sure. As a writer, it can be seen as a challenge to adhere to someone else vision that is now fundamentally accepted as the Burtonverse version of Catwoman, but I think Hamm can and will rise up to that challenge with no problems whatsoever.
Idk if this was ever confirmed, but I remember hearing that he wanted Brainiac for Superman 3.

Quote from: BatmanFurst on Wed, 17 Feb  2021, 00:48Idk if this was ever confirmed, but I remember hearing that he wanted Brainiac for Superman 3.
As did Ilya Salkind.

"The things we could've done together."
- Steve Jobs

Quote from: thecolorsblend on Wed, 17 Feb  2021, 01:02
Quote from: BatmanFurst on Wed, 17 Feb  2021, 00:48Idk if this was ever confirmed, but I remember hearing that he wanted Brainiac for Superman 3.
As did Ilya Salkind.

"The things we could've done together."
- Steve Jobs
Everytime someone has the intention of putting Brainiac in a sequel something bad happens that prevents it from happening.

I'm happy to see that this is bringing back the aesthetic of the 89 film. Gotham looks like Furst's designs.