Tried to re-edit the opening

Started by eledoremassis02, Tue, 13 Oct 2020, 04:29

Previous topic - Next topic
Tue, 13 Oct 2020, 04:29 Last Edit: Tue, 13 Oct 2020, 04:41 by eledoremassis02
I tried to make it a little less campy. Overall I'm happy, there are a few continuity/too tight of edits, however.
https://streamable.com/7g408h

It's a proof of concept. I'd be interested in seeing how much I can remove from the film if I could only remove the score to replace some of the tracks (which I tried doing here)

That was pretty good. I was surprised at how well certain action beats worked with pieces cut out. For example Batman coming through the skylight and gliding to kick Freeze was a good change. Unfortunately, this scene is so inherently silly that there's no way to completely remove the camp.

Nicely done! Really cleans up the action and demonstrates how much better the editing should have been on this film. You know I always wondered if it would have been interesting to open the scene with the camera panning over the museum skylight then intermix with Freeze taking over the museum as Batman and Robin race to the Batmobile to get there. That way they could cut out all of the Alfred dialogue and just show them in route as Freeze attacks.

Quote from: Wayne49 on Thu, 15 Oct  2020, 16:29
Nicely done! Really cleans up the action and demonstrates how much better the editing should have been on this film. You know I always wondered if it would have been interesting to open the scene with the camera panning over the museum skylight then intermix with Freeze taking over the museum as Batman and Robin race to the Batmobile to get there. That way they could cut out all of the Alfred dialogue and just show them in route as Freeze attacks.
I think the opening suit up sequence is fine as it provides familiarity and continuity with BF. But there's stuff I would remove which doesn't relate to 'cheese' but more pacing. For example, waiting for the Redbird to emerge from the ground slows the film down, and the urgency of the situation. Freeze shooting the T-Rex provides a quip but not much else.

There's stuff I wouldn't have included in the museum sequence, such as the perfect Robin logo appearing when the Redbird jumps through the wall, the Freeze gun perfectly stopping on top of the statue, and Freeze throwing the guard vertically to dislodge it. The ice skates are just par for the course when you're making an OTT adventure. Freeze escaping in the rocket doesn't make much sense when you think about it, but it does provide spectacle.

I think B&R improves considerably once the opening is done and out of the way. It's probably my least favorite part of the film, and the location also has something to do with it. It really looks brazenly like a set, with ice randomly placed around. The other sets seems more polished to me.