DC Comics Mass Layoffs

Started by thecolorsblend, Tue, 11 Aug 2020, 12:21

Previous topic - Next topic
https://comicbook.com/dc/news/dc-comics-layoffs-bob-harras-brian-cunningham

QuoteDC Comics has reportedly experienced a major shake-up, with editor-in-chief Bob Harras and several other editors among the employees laid off and Jim Lee removed from his publishing role. ComicBook.com has learned that several employees including Harras, editors Mark Doyle, Brian Cunningham, and Andy Khouri, VP of marketing Jonah Weiland, senior VP Hank Kanalz, and VP of global publishing initiatives and digital strategy Bobbie Chase are all out of the publisher. Lee remains at the company as DC's Chief Creative Officer, but ComicBook.com has learned that he no longer holds the title of publisher. Lee's new role will be to act as a liaison between DC and other brands of Warner Media. ComicBook.com has also learned that Warner Bros is in talks to bring in a new general manager "from the world of esports" to lead the division, but talks have not yet finalized. More cuts are also expected. ComicBook.com has reached out to DC Comics for comment but has not received a reply as of press time.
Alternately, I'm sadistically happy about this and utterly heartbroken.

I've been predicting the demise of DC Comics as we knew it for a long time now. And on Monday, we took a giant step closer to the end of DC.

Nothing can save them at this point. Whatever their fate might be, it can't be avoided anymore. Two years ago? Maybe it was possible to change things. But not anymore.

In other threads, I've said that AT&T is a BUSINESS. They don't care about your wackadoo agenda or your social engineering. They only care about lots and lots of profit. DC as a comic book publisher has no future under that type of regime.

I read The Hollywood Reporter's coverage of this news today, but it was mostly concerned about the inevitable closure of the DC Universe and all of its content starting to move to HBO Max. Reading the news of a large exodus at DC Comics, it seems that area of the business will be severely limiting its output moving forward, and AT&T will count film and TV for its source of revenue from that brand. Is that correct?

A couple of years ago, I remember hearing about Marvel Comics entering an agreement to outsource their comics to IDW Publishing. Would an arrangement similar to that help maintain DC some form of comic distribution?

QuoteJonathan Nolan: He [Batman] has this one rule, as the Joker says in The Dark Knight. But he does wind up breaking it. Does he break it in the third film?

Christopher Nolan: He breaks it in...

Jonathan Nolan: ...the first two.

Source: http://books.google.com.au/books?id=uwV8rddtKRgC&pg=PR8&dq=But+he+does+wind+up+breaking+it.&hl=en&sa=X&ei

Quote from: The Laughing Fish on Tue, 11 Aug  2020, 13:27I read The Hollywood Reporter's coverage of this news today, but it was mostly concerned about the inevitable closure of the DC Universe and all of its content starting to move to HBO Max. Reading the news of a large exodus at DC Comics, it seems that area of the business will be severely limiting its output moving forward, and AT&T will count film and TV for its source of revenue from that brand. Is that correct?
I think that was always on the agenda. I must say, I hate to see things go this way for DC. But (A) it's not personal; it's strictly business and (B) the people hardest hit are the, ah, politically-minded gatekeepers. They already lived in Dickensian poverty and now they'll be out of a job entirely.

Like Andy Khouri. I think it's wonderful. Couldn't have happened to a nicer guy.

Quote from: The Laughing Fish on Tue, 11 Aug  2020, 13:27A couple of years ago, I remember hearing about Marvel Comics entering an agreement to outsource their comics to IDW Publishing. Would an arrangement similar to that help maintain DC some form of comic distribution?
That, I think, is the plan. It doesn't make sense to not license the characters out to other publishers. Marvel doesn't want DC characters is my guess.

But that still leaves publishers like Boom, Dynamite and all the others as possibilities.

I've wondered a few times if some Comicsgate creators won't end up with a DC license or two. Wouldn't that be ironic af?

Quote from: thecolorsblend on Tue, 11 Aug  2020, 18:37
Quote from: The Laughing Fish on Tue, 11 Aug  2020, 13:27I read The Hollywood Reporter's coverage of this news today, but it was mostly concerned about the inevitable closure of the DC Universe and all of its content starting to move to HBO Max. Reading the news of a large exodus at DC Comics, it seems that area of the business will be severely limiting its output moving forward, and AT&T will count film and TV for its source of revenue from that brand. Is that correct?
I think that was always on the agenda. I must say, I hate to see things go this way for DC. But (A) it's not personal; it's strictly business and (B) the people hardest hit are the, ah, politically-minded gatekeepers. They already lived in Dickensian poverty and now they'll be out of a job entirely.

Like Andy Khouri. I think it's wonderful. Couldn't have happened to a nicer guy.

I can't say I know who Any Khouri is, but let me guess, he's your typical SJW?

I don't care about people's political opinions, but it's a shame how people working in the comics industry are so disrespectful on social media. People Gail Simone and Mark Waid have attacked fans, mocked them, using strawman argument to paint them as "mYsOgYnIsTs", and they don't even realise they're hurting their own brand. Who knows how many potential would've been interested in checking out their comics if the creators simply behaved like dignified normal people. But instead, they can't help themselves.

Such a shame.
QuoteJonathan Nolan: He [Batman] has this one rule, as the Joker says in The Dark Knight. But he does wind up breaking it. Does he break it in the third film?

Source: http://books.google.com.au/books?id=uwV8rddtKRgC&pg=PR8&dq=But+he+does+wind+up+breaking+it.&hl=en&sa=X&ei

Quote from: Silver Nemesis on Tue, 18 Aug  2020, 17:20
Yeah, that video's been going around a lot. That cover, wtf.

For me, the only logical conclusion I can reach is that #Comicsgate won. Stick a fork in DC Comics because they're done, son. And Marvel Comics Lifestyle Brand doesn't seem too far behind.

Meanwhile, I received some #Comicsgate stuff I ordered this past week, more will be arriving this weekend and still more will be delivered soon. They're fun and exciting comic books, the creators are 100% invested in the material, the energy is barely containable and they respect the fans.

My sole critique of #Comicsgate is the relative lack of superhero material. Military/war stuff? Check. Horror stuff? Check. Sci-Fi? Check. But superheroes, oddly enough, seem to be in short supply.

Considering how many #Comicsgate creators are former mainstream pros, I think the relative lack of out-and-out superhero material really says a lot about how burned out most of them are on that genre. Superheroes have had a virtual monopoly on comics for decades but that doesn't seem to be true at all of #Comicsgate. And since they're the last men standing, we might be looking at the first major revolution the comic book medium has had since the 1950s.

Another good thing about #Comicsgate is how infrequently books are released. A creator might release one, max two, issues of a given title per year. It makes following a given series a lot less annoying since you don't have to go to your LCS literally every GD week to get the new stuff. For me, an annual release isn't a bug; it's a feature.

I'm sad about the looming demise of the mainstream comic book business. But I see #Comicsgate as superior to the mainstream in almost every way. So if the mainstream industry must go away, as seems to be the case, then at least #Comicsgate is here to take up the mantle.

https://icv2.com/articles/news/view/55094/bill-willingham-fires-dc-states-he-is-putting-fables-public-domain
https://icv2.com/articles/news/view/55100/dc-responds-bill-willingham

It's pretty damning to see an artist taking such a drastic stance while condemning a company for its lack of integrity. I can see a bitter legal battle happening here.

This could get messy. But it's commonly known that Willingham has been on the outs with the wider comics industry (what's left of it) for a long time now. A cold war. So, I guess it was just a matter of time until the cold war turned hot.

Don't mistake me for a lawyer. But the "Copyright © 2023 Bill Willingham and DC Comics.  All rights reserved.  All characters featured in this issue, the distinctive likenesses thereof, and related elements are trademarks of Bill Willingham." indicia seems to allow both parties a lot of wiggle room.