The Truth About Burton's Batman 3 - Batman Forever Screenwriters' Interview

Started by Gotham Knight, Fri, 17 Jul 2020, 18:54

Previous topic - Next topic
Great video. Kind of a huge deal if you interested in the transition from Burton to Schumacher. You get a very good sense of it. They talk about Keaton and Williams. They CONFIRMED Williams interest. Big STORY TIME around 44:17.

I listened to this a couple months ago. One of the most interesting things for me was Keaton not returning due to the pay. Nowadays he says he didn't do it because the movie sucked but it doesn't sound like that's why he really dropped out.

Quote from: BatmanFurst on Fri, 17 Jul  2020, 19:13
I listened to this a couple months ago. One of the most interesting things for me was Keaton not returning due to the pay. Nowadays he says he didn't do it because the movie sucked but it doesn't sound like that's why he really dropped out.

I always heard he did some meetings with Schumacher and didn't like the new direction and basically started demanding more money as a way to get out of his contract. It also kinda fits with his story about how he peeked into filming (out of curiosity) when he happened to be in the area and was glad he got out.

Keaton's maintained it was dissatisfaction with the direction since the 90s, and the studio's position has been that it was about money for as long. There have been alternate stories about why Robin Williams didn't get the part floating around for years too.