DC FanDome online convention

Started by The Laughing Fish, Thu, 18 Jun 2020, 14:39

Previous topic - Next topic
Interesting initiative that's coming in August. It appears to be an alternative to a regular comic con.

It will have teaser trailers to upcoming films, and I heard it will have guests including Zack Snyder, Jason Momoa, James Wan and Dwayne Johnson. It should have info on the latest and upcoming comics and games too.

https://www.dccomics.com/blog/2020/06/16/welcome-to-the-dc-fandome
QuoteJonathan Nolan: He [Batman] has this one rule, as the Joker says in The Dark Knight. But he does wind up breaking it. Does he break it in the third film?

Christopher Nolan: He breaks it in...

Jonathan Nolan: ...the first two.

Source: http://books.google.com.au/books?id=uwV8rddtKRgC&pg=PR8&dq=But+he+does+wind+up+breaking+it.&hl=en&sa=X&ei

Thu, 18 Jun 2020, 17:31 #1 Last Edit: Thu, 18 Jun 2020, 17:33 by thecolorsblend
Mmm. Kind of wonder if Snyder might debut a teaser or a clip from ZSJL. It doesn't really make sense to do something like this empty-handed. Esp since they're probably trying like mad to attract attention from the public. A sneak peak at ZSJL would certainly attract some attention, that's for sure.

Okay, I got nuthin

Matt Reeves' The Batman and the Justice League Snyder Cut are pretty much the only two things I'm interested in at this event. Unless of course they've got a big announcement up their sleeve, like a Hawkworld adaptation or Batman Beyond movie starring Michael Keaton. Or a Flash solo film that isn't based on Flashpoint and doesn't star Ezra Miller.

Quote from: Silver Nemesis on Fri, 19 Jun  2020, 14:09
Matt Reeves' The Batman and the Justice League Snyder Cut are pretty much the only two things I'm interested in at this event. Unless of course they've got a big announcement up their sleeve, like a Hawkworld adaptation or Batman Beyond movie starring Michael Keaton. Or a Flash solo film that isn't based on Flashpoint and doesn't star Ezra Miller.
Those two for me, as well, while hoping for the WB Games Montreal announcement. For The Batman, given filming wasn't operational for long before the shutdown, I'd expect something like publicity stills or a sizzle reel. Perhaps some details/comments from the cast and crew, and a production update. ZSJL - a release date and trailer. He's working from a four hour cut, so the great majority of content will remain unseen until 2021, but I still hope he keeps the really juicy content up his sleeve.

Batman is being taken care of in terms of the future content, so I'm feeling content about that. WW84 is already in the can, and is something I'll check out. It's the forward planning involving AT&T that's unknown - but full of exciting possibilities. It would be great to hear more details on that front. But at the moment perhaps not. ZSJL will likely be it, with decisions coming after it hits screens next year.

The new Batman game being announced is looking like a possibility.

QuoteThe new plan is to unveil the Batman game in August at a digital event called DC FanDome, and the Harry Potter game will be revealed later, a person with knowledge of the plans said.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2020-06-29/harry-potter-game-developers-rattled-by-j-k-rowling-backlash

Matt Reeves has shared a FanDome trailer containing a list of attendees: https://twitter.com/mattreevesLA/status/1291735897600401409

Michael Keaton's name is not on the list, but Val Kilmer's is. This has prompted some to speculate that negotiations with Keaton may have fallen through and Kilmer might be taking his place in the Flashpoint movie. Taking into account Val's recent health problems, I think this is unlikely. I'm hoping that Keaton's involvement is simply being kept secret until the big reveal, and that Val's purpose there will be to promote a new cut of Batman Forever.

Quote from: Silver Nemesis on Fri,  7 Aug  2020, 16:05I'm hoping that Keaton's involvement is simply being kept secret until the big reveal, and that Val's purpose there will be to promote a new cut of Batman Forever.
This seems most logical. Keaton's participation has yet to be officially confirmed anyway. Fandome may or may not be the best venue for it but there's no sense "spoiling" the announcement by telling all and sundry ahead of time that he will be there.

Is Fandome a live event? Or will it go the Boomer way SDCC did with everything being pre-recorded, no live comments, etc?

If an announcement is set with Kilmer, Batman fans are going to be eating so well. We can't lose. The Schumacher Cut movement only started very recently. If it happens, I'm assuming it's an easy thing for the studio to put together, and BF being an existing product in their catalogue helps a lot. Joel passing away recently also supercharges things. A FanDome announcement could serve as their tribute. Especially with his voice, Val is in no condition to be headlining a film series. I'm sure this is about his past content, not new content.

As for Michael Keaton not being on the list, a surprise reveal is possible. But for the sake of my sanity I'm going to pretend the announced list of attendees is it. I've set my expectations up for things in the past only to be crushed, and the wait drag ons. If it happens, great.

The Suicide Squad game announcement gives me mixed feelings. If Superman is evil ala Injustice or simply a plot device that's really tired. We get a 'kill Superman' game before a real Superman game, because "he's just too hard to adapt?" So let's see what happens on that front. I'm sure the Squad side of things will be good. WBGM's Batman game is still my main gaming event, anyway. They're confirmed to attend.

And again with Superman - they put out an official FanDome trailer and what music do they use? John Williams. So, so over it. Hans Zimmer made an incredible, modern theme and it always gets snubbed. Thank God for ZSJL on that front, which is likely the last time we'll ever hear it played again. My thoughts on Cavill returning are the same as Keaton returning - don't expect anything. But considerably less expectation is placed on a Cavill return.

Robert Pattinson is confirmed to attend. Fingers crossed the footage they show has been carefully chosen. This is their chance to captivate the fanbase with the new vision. And perhaps expand upon the HBO Max series involving the GCPD. If The Batman is well received, it can begin the biggest filmic Batman shared universe we've ever seen.

Quote from: thecolorsblend on Fri,  7 Aug  2020, 18:08
Is Fandome a live event? Or will it go the Boomer way SDCC did with everything being pre-recorded, no live comments, etc?

It's advertised as a 24 hour event. I strongly doubt it will be all live, but from my understanding, it will be inviting an interactive experience of some sorts.

This is taken from the introductory blog page that I linked in the OP:

Exploring the DC FanDome

The epicenter of the DC FanDome is the Hall of Heroes, where you can experience special programming, panels and content reveals from a wide variety of films, TV series and games, available in several languages, including Brazilian Portuguese, Chinese, English, French, German, Italian, Japanese, Korean and Spanish.  From there, navigate deeper into the DC Multiverse, exploring five additional satellite worlds, each with its own localized content and unique activities and one world fully devoted to our younger fans:

DC WatchVerse: Here's where you grab a seat, sit back and join our virtual audience and become completely engrossed in hours of must-see content from around the world.  Everything from panels and exclusive screenings to never-before-seen footage, featuring cast, creators and behind-the-scenes crew from across DC Films, TV, Home Entertainment and Games.

DC YouVerse: Venture into this world where the FANS are the stars to see the most amazing user-generated content, cosplay and fan art from around the world, including, perhaps, your own.

DC KidsVerse: Need a way to entertain your kids for hours on end?  We've got you covered inside a special world, which can be accessed directly at DCKidsFanDome.com. This area features a broad range of family-friendly activations for our younger fans.

DC InsiderVerse: This creativity-based world contains a centerpiece video featuring legendary artist and DC CCO/Publisher Jim Lee, President of DC-Based Film Production Walter Hamada, and creator of the DC TV Arrowverse, Executive Producer Greg Berlanti, welcoming fans with a 101-style introduction to the DC Multiverse.  From there, go behind the scenes with the master artisans who bring DC to life in all its forms, from comic books to games, TV, movies, theme parks, consumer products and more.

DC FunVerse: Take your DC FanDome experience and gather cool shareables; check out our comic book reader; DIY cool WW84 Golden Armor and Batmobile kits; plus digital giveaways and a store filled with merchandise, including some limited-edition exclusives.

ZSJL is the only film content I care about. Any additional announcements connected to the Snyderverse, as well as Keaton returning, are a bonus. But I'm not getting my hopes up on any of those rumours.
QuoteJonathan Nolan: He [Batman] has this one rule, as the Joker says in The Dark Knight. But he does wind up breaking it. Does he break it in the third film?

Christopher Nolan: He breaks it in...

Jonathan Nolan: ...the first two.

Source: http://books.google.com.au/books?id=uwV8rddtKRgC&pg=PR8&dq=But+he+does+wind+up+breaking+it.&hl=en&sa=X&ei