Batman: The Adventures Continue

Started by Silver Nemesis, Thu, 9 Apr 2020, 11:47

Previous topic - Next topic
Okay, I picked up Season 3 out of obligation, owning the previous two volumes and all, and ended up really liking it.

To start, I was sad to hear the series was cancelled by DC. Most coverage now seems to infer that the series ran its course, but I recall Ty Templeton saying it was actively cancelled. The quality wasn't peak BTAS by any means, but there was still a lot of top talent that didn't deserve to have their work cut short (including Templeton).

This announcement came around the end of the original run, which was way too premature considering the TPB was a way from being released (and also my preferred medium). I picked it up as soon as I could, having to check two comic book stores: one was sold out, the other had one copy left. Hope these sales allow DC to reconsider.

Anyways, on with the story (spoilers ahead). The weakness of the previous volumes was that they were trying to play catch-up with the comics instead of continuing the story in a meaningful way; for instance, introducing Jason Todd convolutes the universe more and is antithetical to bridging the gap into Return of the Joker/Batman Beyond.

Old characters were used in more meaningful ways this time around. Lock-Up was great to see as a surprise villain during the first story, as was the continuation of Task Force X in Crack-Up! Deadshot was a favorite of mine that had a decent adaptation in JLU despite his limited screentime, so it was nice to see more of him. Professor Strange makes his grand re-appearance as well, and it feels perfectly natural. In the midst of all this, the prototype of the Batman Beyond suit is a concurrent plot point. The series really felt like it was winding down into the Batman Beyond era, and I hope the writers get the opportunity to complete their vision.

Quote from: Slash Man on Fri, 23 Feb  2024, 00:49they were trying to play catch-up with the comics
Quote from: Slash Man on Fri, 23 Feb  2024, 00:49introducing Jason Todd
These are my objections too. I don't need a BTAS-flavored variant of the mainstream comics. BTAS was always its own thing and nobody minded that back then.

I'd love to know whose brilliant idea it was to take this approach.

That honestly felt like a merchandising decision. Remember how there was DC Collectibles toy line tie-in? We got Red Hood and Azrael in BTAS figure style. I'm betting that was the starting point, and they just worked backwards to figure out a story. Fortunately, we didn't get a Batman Who Laughs... yet.