Will the Snyder cut appear on HBO Max?

Started by The Laughing Fish, Fri, 7 Feb 2020, 10:52

Previous topic - Next topic
Quote from: The Joker on Fri, 29 May  2020, 23:19
Can't say I'm a fan of simply peppering in Cavill's Superman with the upcoming slate of DC films. He's SUPERMAN. Not Nick Fury. The character, as well as Henry himself, deserve better than mere glorified cameos. If it's a extended guest star role, where it comes across as almost like a team up (especially if he's throwing down), then one runs the very real risk of whoever's movie being, not surprisingly, overshadowed by Superman. Imagine that.
Every day you wake up celebrate the fact the Snyder cut is happening. Because in any other timeline it wouldn't be. The longer this plays out my original suspicions of WB ageing Cavill out of the role become stronger. It explains why they have no firm plans right now, because they had no intention of using him. Remember, apparently the original plans were to make a Supergirl film. Word around the campfire had been those plans were recently scrapped. My guess is AT&T told WB they want Cavill now, and they need to make it happen. Hence the small steps for cameos in films already in the pipeline.

Speaking about the Snyder cut budget, Warner Media Entertainment's Robert Greenblatt recently said "I wish it was just $30 million." Studios aren't keen on spending money if they don't have to, but read that quote to yourself and give it serious thought: does that sound like an enthusiastic man? It doesn't to me. How much money do you think that man would be willing to hand out for the Snyder cut? I'd say none, or very little. With a bigger budget than $30 million, AT&T can give us the whole hog Justice League, Martian Manhunter and all. We can say 'WB should have released the film three years ago and we wouldn't be in this situation'. And that's absolutely true. However, seems to me WB never envisioned themselves being in the position.

From what I know about the Snyder cut, I think it still could've been released even if WB wanted to cut the cord afterwards. Sure, plot points are established and it was never meant to be the end. But the story always goes on in the comics because there's always something. Darkseid was going to be teased, but he remains on the other side of the boom tube. We just know he's there and they'll fight at some point in the future. And so on. The Wayne Manor round table scene gives things a sense of closure in that moment. The film ends with the members going their seperate ways, but they will meet again. But right then, there's peace and work to be done at Wayne Manor in the downtime.

I must concur with TDK. If it doesn't come from ATT, it's suspect. We already have strong reason to believe that WB, DCE, WBM, etc, are all getting publicly overruled with the ZSJL announcement. Public statements like "I wish it was only $30 million" at this time are probably designed to do damage to the announcement.

I emphasize, ATT ain't Hollywood, fam. They know the politics of what they're doing and unlike Hollywood types, ATT don't give a good GD about some movie exec's ego. ZSJL is happening anyway. If ATT is run the way I think it is, at the very least Greenblatt is getting taken to the woodshed. He was lobbing artillery at ZSJL and I just can't imagine that ATT will let that slide.

I reiterate that ATT could be the greatest thing to ever happen to WB.

Quote from: The Dark Knight on Mon,  1 Jun  2020, 01:28
Every day you wake up celebrate the fact the Snyder cut is happening. Because in any other timeline it wouldn't be. The longer this plays out my original suspicions of WB ageing Cavill out of the role become stronger. It explains why they have no firm plans right now, because they had no intention of using him. Remember, apparently the original plans were to make a Supergirl film. Word around the campfire had been those plans were recently scrapped. My guess is AT&T told WB they want Cavill now, and they need to make it happen. Hence the small steps for cameos in films already in the pipeline.

WB ever having firm plans, now, or ever. Is a catch 22 in of itself really. This is a company that seeks audience and more importantly, in their minds, critical acclaim for their work. Otherwise, history has proven that the panic button is always in wait, and WB certainly has no qualms about pressing it repeatedly in haste. Resulting in some truly bizarre decision making as a direct consequence.

Actually, with the news we keep getting down the pipeline since the announcement, it's coming across more and more like the scenario behind the scenes is that AT&T orders on what they want, and WB (because they really dont have much of a choice) begrudgingly are following the directions with no real warmth towards fans, or keenness in the decisions AT&T have, evidently, approved of. Which, in effect, does nothing to instill confidence in WB creatively when it comes to the DCEU, and Henry's possible 'cameo' participation in said films.

We'll see what happens, but WB sincerely needs to start acting like more of, at the very least, a willing partner in this. If that means the ol chopping block getting set out, and some additional heads rolling? Great. The last thing we need going forward is a circumstance where the house continues to be clearly divided.

"Imagination is a quality given a man to compensate him for what he is not, and a sense of humour was provided to console him for what he is."

Quote from: The Joker on Fri, 29 May  2020, 23:19

Can't say I'm a fan of simply peppering in Cavill's Superman with the upcoming slate of DC films. He's SUPERMAN. Not Nick Fury. The character, as well as Henry himself, deserve better than mere glorified cameos. If it's a extended guest star role, where it comes across as almost like a team up (especially if he's throwing down), then one runs the very real risk of whoever's movie being, not surprisingly, overshadowed by Superman. Imagine that.

As I said before, I don't like the idea of Cavill reprising his Superman role in cameos. But it just occurred to me why it might need to happen: Cavill could be tied up with doing The Witcher for Netflix. I've read somewhere production for the second season got halted because of the coronavirus, and Netflix had reportedly greenlit a third season.

The chances of a new Cavill Superman film are definitely greater than it was a few months ago. But it still might not be coming any time soon, unless Warner and Netflix can work together to give Cavill's schedule some breathing space.
QuoteJonathan Nolan: He [Batman] has this one rule, as the Joker says in The Dark Knight. But he does wind up breaking it. Does he break it in the third film?

Christopher Nolan: He breaks it in...

Jonathan Nolan: ...the first two.

Source: http://books.google.com.au/books?id=uwV8rddtKRgC&pg=PR8&dq=But+he+does+wind+up+breaking+it.&hl=en&sa=X&ei

Thu, 4 Jun 2020, 13:32 #74 Last Edit: Thu, 4 Jun 2020, 13:55 by The Dark Knight
The Cultured Nerd and their so called sources say this:

QuoteSources close to TCN have confirmed that HBO wants Ben Affleck, Jared Leto, and Joe Manganiello for an original Batman project. This follows reports last week that AT&T and WarnerMedia want Affleck to return as the Caped Crusader. Affleck is also in talks to return to the director's chair and to adapt his original script, with Zack Snyder producing.

The return of Affleck's Batman will either be a miniseries or a DC film on HBO Max, as Warner Bros. is committed to Matt Reeves' The Batman trilogy in theaters. Affleck's project will likely follow the intended storyline teased by the post-credit scene of Justice League or Zack Snyder's Justice League.

https://theculturednerd.org/2020/06/exclusive-hbo-wants-affleck-leto-and-manganiello-for-an-original-batman-project/

It's right to be sceptical, as I am. However I think the concept of the story has merit. HBO Max needs original content. HBO Max may not just become the home of ZSJL, but eventually the home of DC film projects that died with Josstice League. This universe could be their flagship product.

Either way, it's imperative ZSJL is a roaring success.

Quote from: The Dark Knight on Thu,  4 Jun  2020, 13:32
The Cultured Nerd and their so called sources say this:

QuoteSources close to TCN have confirmed that HBO wants Ben Affleck, Jared Leto, and Joe Manganiello for an original Batman project. This follows reports last week that AT&T and WarnerMedia want Affleck to return as the Caped Crusader. Affleck is also in talks to return to the director's chair and to adapt his original script, with Zack Snyder producing.

The return of Affleck's Batman will either be a miniseries or a DC film on HBO Max, as Warner Bros. is committed to Matt Reeves' The Batman trilogy in theaters. Affleck's project will likely follow the intended storyline teased by the post-credit scene of Justice League or Zack Snyder's Justice League.

https://theculturednerd.org/2020/06/exclusive-hbo-wants-affleck-leto-and-manganiello-for-an-original-batman-project/

It's right to be sceptical, as I am. However I think the concept of the story has merit. HBO Max needs original content. HBO Max may not just become the home of ZSJL, but eventually the home of DC film projects that died with Josstice League. This universe could be their flagship product.

Either way, it's imperative ZSJL is a roaring success.
I'm also deeply skeptical. This is precisely what I want to happen... which is why I'm so suspicious.

Another reason to be suspicious is the scale we're talking about. It'd be one thing if ZSJL came out right now and was a phenomenal runaway success. That would merit the ambition of the projects being talked about in that "report". But it sounds like too much too soon. I'm not buying that.

The most I'll consider is that Affleck is being wooed to come back in some capacity or another. A solo film? Cameos like the rumors about Cavill? Something else completely? But that's about the most I'm willing to contemplate right now. Everything else just seems a little too good (for me) to be true.

As always, take this with as many grains of salt as you wish. I recommend at least a tiny bit of skepticism for right now, to avoid getting your hopes up if nothing else.

But I've been saying for weeks now that AT&T is a COMPANY. They're not part of the Hollywood cult. They may not have set out to be reformers but that's more or less the position they have. All they care about is merit, money and good business. So that report adds up a lot.

I reassert that AT&T entering Hollywood (esp right now) is probably the greatest existential threat that the other studios have ever faced. If AT&T makes content that's popular because it's what people want rather than, ahem, the reasons other content gets made, they're poised to the rule the roost in ways nobody has ever seen before.

If Marvel Studios isn't afraid yet, it's because they're not doing the calculus for all this.

A solo film is what the fans want. If AT&T have any power you'd think they'd make it happen. Based on nothing but a vibe and vague rumblings, I think at the very least the topic would have been raised. I'm telling myself even if nothing happens at least Cavill has the Snyder cut. But let's be honest, we want more and it's human nature to feel disappointment if nothing else comes afterwards.

Which leads me to ask you this colors: what plot would you choose for a hypothetical continuation?

I think Brainiac would be the best option. Zod and Doomsday are top tier villains, but I'd place Brainiac above them. Go with the biggest name villain you can in what would essentially be a free hit. Snyder focused on Zod's coup attempt, but there's no reason why Brainiac couldn't have shrunk Kandor moments before Krypton's destruction. And of course downloaded all the planet's data.

Cavill has expressed interest in For Tomorrow, and I think elements of that could be used. The church elements are very MoS in tone. Superman's loving reunion with Lois feels appropriate, and a new Fortress of Solitude location could be a good idea. Amy Adams' age is not a problem for me, but you'd hope they'd have the original cast all back together and don't leave things too long.

I sure hope this window of opportunity is taken with Superman. Cameos and a solo film would do wonders in creating excitement and momentum. Add in a videogame (which doesn't seem to be in development, unfortunately...but Rocksteady have lied before), and things would really shift for the better.

I assume the wait and see approach will persist until 2021. Treating ZSJL as a brand new Superman film, which it is, is the best way to retain sanity during that wait.

I don't really cotton to For Tomorrow. I suppose it can be riffed upon in a sequel to MOS but I don't especially care to see the full story adapted.

It's hard to guess what a sequel should be or do. Threats from Krypton seem to have been mined well enough for the time being. A specific plot escapes me right now. But Jor-El said again and again in MOS that Superman is meant to be the bridge between two worlds. He is to lead mankind into a better tomorrow. I'd like to see some steps taken in that direction in the sequel.

You will give the people of Earth an ideal to strive towards. They will race behind you, they will stumble, they will fall. But in time, they will join you in the sun. In time, you will help them accomplish wonders.

I'd like to see a story which shows that process take a step or two forward.

So AT&T are rumored to be pushing for a MOS sequel?

Yeah, no sh*t they are.

You got one of the most marketable characters in history, an actor who's showed continued interest to return, and a fan base that's clamoring for it. Of course a sequel is being suggested. And rightly so. 

"Imagination is a quality given a man to compensate him for what he is not, and a sense of humour was provided to console him for what he is."