Doomsday

Started by The Laughing Fish, Sat, 7 Sep 2019, 03:24

Previous topic - Next topic
As everyone knows, Lex Luthor used ancient Kryptonian technology to deform Zod's lifeless body and reanimate him as Doomsday, as the killing machine to destroy Superman. After reading the Hunter/Prey storyline a little while ago, I wouldn't be surprised if that comic had some influence for the monster's portrayal in the movie.

As it was referenced in Batman-Online's "Comic Influences on Batman v Superman" article, Doomsday's reanimation in the movie has more in common with him being a product of Kryptonian scientific experimentation in Hunter/Prey, where a scientist called Bertron spent years developing the same infant clone and setting him up to get brutally killed in a savage planet hundreds of times, until its consciousness would carry over and forge him as a deadly weapon. But the article didn't mention that the creature, after suffering from many violent deaths, would not only become a product of relentless evil, but would also turn on his creator Bertron, which is somewhat similar to how Doomsday tried to kill Lex in the movie. Later on, Waverider would discover Doomsday singles out Superman because of the fact he is Kryptonian, even discovering Doomsday sees an image of Bertron instead of Superman.

Now although it's obvious the movie doesn't establish Doomsday seeing Lex as Superman, I reckon it's possible that parts of Zod's consciousness had survived. With moments like Doomsday looking at Superman's statue at Heroes Park, which was the site of where Zod's quest to terraform the Earth had failed, and the final tussle in the end where Doomsday stabs Superman with a spike similar to how Zod killed Jor-El in MOS, you'd be hard-pressed to say Zod's hatred and chaos wasn't embodied into Doomsday's creation.
QuoteJonathan Nolan: He [Batman] has this one rule, as the Joker says in The Dark Knight. But he does wind up breaking it. Does he break it in the third film?

Christopher Nolan: He breaks it in...

Jonathan Nolan: ...the first two.

Source: http://books.google.com.au/books?id=uwV8rddtKRgC&pg=PR8&dq=But+he+does+wind+up+breaking+it.&hl=en&sa=X&ei

Quote from: The Laughing Fish on Sat,  7 Sep  2019, 03:24

Now although it's obvious the movie doesn't establish Doomsday seeing Lex as Superman, I reckon it's possible that parts of Zod's consciousness had survived. With moments like Doomsday looking at Superman's statue at Heroes Park, which was the site of where Zod's quest to terraform the Earth had failed, and the final tussle in the end where Doomsday stabs Superman with a spike similar to how Zod killed Jor-El in MOS, you'd be hard-pressed to say Zod's hatred and chaos wasn't embodied into Doomsday's creation.

Very good observation. I hadn't made the connection.

When the movie came out, I read a lot of criticism over Doomsday's physical appearance. A common description I saw many detractors were saying was he looked like a "cave troll", and complained about the lack of resemblance to the character in the comics.

While I can understand some people were dissatisfied with the design, I do think it's rather subjective and not a true flaw within the movie. In fact, I'd go far to say the changes to the character emphasised on the symbolism in setting up Superman's demise, and has some basis behind Doomsday's backstory in Hunter/Prey. In that comic, the infant clone would get recreated and killed all over again, and over time, its body would slowly deform into a a monstrous creature. The screenshot below shows the infant clone having a close resemblance to the BvS Doomsday when it's brought to life.

In the comics, Doomsday's strength and brutality is so severe, he can cut Superman's skin with his bone spikes and make him bleed. In BvS, spikes and other protrusions begin to erupt out of his body if he takes any physical damage. The most critical moment is when Wonder Woman cuts off Doomsday's hand and the spike grows in its place, which he would soon use to stab Superman in the chest. Which ties into Superman exposing himself with the Kryptonite spear as he makes the sacrifice to extinguish Doomsday for good. Along the way, another member of the House of El perishes.
QuoteJonathan Nolan: He [Batman] has this one rule, as the Joker says in The Dark Knight. But he does wind up breaking it. Does he break it in the third film?

Christopher Nolan: He breaks it in...

Jonathan Nolan: ...the first two.

Source: http://books.google.com.au/books?id=uwV8rddtKRgC&pg=PR8&dq=But+he+does+wind+up+breaking+it.&hl=en&sa=X&ei