Blog: Why George Pérez Lost Faith in Corporate-Owned Superhero Comics

Started by The Laughing Fish, Tue, 23 Jul 2019, 11:16

Previous topic - Next topic
I found this blog on Bleeding Fool about George Pérez becoming disillusioned over the comic book industry.

Prolific comic book creator George Pérez says his short-lived stint on Superman, relaunched as part of DC Comics' New 52 in 2011, soured him on "corporate comics" and marked the first time in his decades-spanning career he "didn't care."

"I think the only time I had any bitterness or uncomfortable feelings working was more recently. Because the fact the industry has changed so much, and now it's corporate comics. We're sometimes being asked not to create comics, but to manufacture comics," Pérez said at Niagra Falls Comic Con.

"And that bothered me during my run on Superman, the New 52 Superman. It was a book being done by committee, and I don't think I really got a chance to really create as opposed to, you know, 'follow the dictates of what we have in mind, put your name on it,' and yet they couldn't make up their minds what they wanted from day to day. So that started to sour me."

Pulling double duty as writer and penciller for the book's first three issues, Pérez stayed on as writer for another three issues. By its seventh issue, Pérez was off the book entirely.

"I would send in the script, and then they would do the editing and whatever changes and send it back to me, until finally I just said, 'Here's your script. However it's printed, whatever the final product is, it's your job. If the fans love it, fantastic, my name's attached to it. If they don't like it, I can't help that, even though my name's still attached to it,'" Pérez said.

"And that was, for me, the nadir of my career, because for the first time working in the industry, I didn't care. They made me not care. And I don't blame the people at DC for it — they're following the dictates of Warner that now has a much more hands-on policy."

https://bleedingfool.com/blogs/george-perez-has-lost-all-faith-in-corporate-owned-superhero-comics/

It's a shame to hear about Pérez having a such a disappointing experience despite his contribution to DC Comics over the years. But man, that last paragraph about Warner meddling in comics reminds me of their meddling with the live-action films. Sure, Pérez perhaps isn't the only artist in the industry whose work was scuppered because of boardroom politics, but judging by what he's saying, the room for creativity is a lot smaller than what it used to be. What gives?
QuoteJonathan Nolan: He [Batman] has this one rule, as the Joker says in The Dark Knight. But he does wind up breaking it. Does he break it in the third film?

Christopher Nolan: He breaks it in...

Jonathan Nolan: ...the first two.

Source: http://books.google.com.au/books?id=uwV8rddtKRgC&pg=PR8&dq=But+he+does+wind+up+breaking+it.&hl=en&sa=X&ei

Pretty much gives even more credence that the 2011 DC Comics New52 initiative was a complete clusterF right from the very beginning. Evidently, the brass at Warners were 'hands on' to some extent. These days? In 2019? I am not so sure. The industry itself is in a decidedly more unhealthy place than it was back in 2011, and alot of the sickness/decline/rot assuredly doesn't come across as being only interventions by Warners, or by Disney over at Marvel, but rather by some who work on the actual books. Some of which becoming so insufferable that they, evidently, think making a comic that caters to their soap box is preferable than simply entertaining the reader with escapism.

"Imagination is a quality given a man to compensate him for what he is not, and a sense of humour was provided to console him for what he is."

George Pérez has publicly announced he has been diagnosed with stage 3 pancreatic cancer, and has about six months - or a year, at best, left to live.

https://comicbook.com/dc/news/george-perez-legendary-marvel-dc-comics-artist-inoperable-cancer/

Devastating news. I wish him all the best.
QuoteJonathan Nolan: He [Batman] has this one rule, as the Joker says in The Dark Knight. But he does wind up breaking it. Does he break it in the third film?

Source: http://books.google.com.au/books?id=uwV8rddtKRgC&pg=PR8&dq=But+he+does+wind+up+breaking+it.&hl=en&sa=X&ei

Man, I hate to hear that.

George is one of the "Greats" of the comic book industry. There's no doubt about that. An artist who has the ability to pretty much draw any character well. Which made him ideal for team books for sure.

For me, his work on Post-Crisis Wonder Woman was a revelation, and just the jolt that character needed at that time. As much as I've grown in recent years in thinking that "Crisis on Infinite Earth's" was ultimately unnecessary, George's work in those 12 issues was nothing short of superb, and he was just the man for the job.

"Imagination is a quality given a man to compensate him for what he is not, and a sense of humour was provided to console him for what he is."

Quote from: The Joker on Thu,  9 Dec  2021, 05:45
For me, his work on Post-Crisis Wonder Woman was a revelation, and just the jolt that character needed at that time.

I remember I had a copy of the first issue of Post-Crisis Wonder Woman when I was little, long before I knew anything about COIE. I was too young to get into comics back then, but yes, Pérez's art was eye-catching and made a good creative partnership with Marv Wolfman. As was his work on The Judas Contract, COIE and The Infinity Gauntlet, which I wish he stuck around to draw the whole saga. And yes, only he could do JLA/Avengers crossover justice with his art.

You'd be hard-pressed to find other comic book artists who is able to fill a single panel with so much detail and characters like Pérez does.

Meanwhile, George went on Facebook to post his appreciation and gratitude for all the best wishes following the news of his diagnosis.

Wow...simp[y wow. Words cannot adequately express how overwhelmed I am by the enormous number of comments expressing so much support and affection for me. I have yet to read all the thousands of lovely posts and photos from fans, friends and colleagues, some familiar friends, some friends of the spirit-- and all family. My one working eye is a little bleary right now (from strain and tears) so I hope I can get back in a day or two and provide a coherent response along with any updates I may have regarding my life's journey. Unyil yjrn [then], I will say one agin [again]. Thank you. Thank you all. I am blessed beyond my worth and humbled by your favor.

http://perez.comicbookseries.info/news/thankyou