And our new Batman is apparently.....

Started by Catwoman, Fri, 17 May 2019, 01:35

Previous topic - Next topic
I think the Telltale series would be an excellent model for Batpat because the games offer exactly what Reeves describes - a character driven approach with the story being experienced directly through Bruce Wayne.

We see what a day in the life of Bruce would be like: navigating the worlds of Wayne Enterprises, the social scene and of course the Gotham underbelly. With these worlds often colliding, making for wonderfully tense scenarios, as well as giving a cross section of everything that makes this character tick.

If anything from the past can be pointed to, I'd say businessman Kilmer noticing the signal while talking to Edward, and making a quick exit to the cave to suit up as Batman. Or later attending a party as a playboy and suiting up to appear in costume shortly after.

The Telltale series also puts a focus on investigation, with the tone being dark, fantastical but also edgy in the way it plays with certain tropes. The relationship with Gordon is a lot closer than what we've seen in the films, which is something I'd also be keen to see.

Overall I think the Telltale model is about giving us a deeper sense of connection to the hero. People say you just need a good chin to be Batman, and the role itself isn't really that interesting. I beg to differ.  I do love the villains, and don't mind one bit that Batman has to share equal screen time with them at times – case in point DeVito or Hardy. But perhaps for a film that could be called THE BATMAN, we should see more of his life and daily routine than usual.

His secretive, dark personality is a huge drawcard. People love it, hence the whole 'because I'm Batman' meme. Action is requires and I do hope for good action, but the psychology and the presentation of the character itself is vitally important.

It's why Tobey worked so well as Peter Parker, and is still the best. We connected with him before the suit was even worn.

I liked S1 of the Telltale series, but S2 was way too much Bruce Wayne for me. And I'm hoping we get a more Batman focued movie this time. S2 of Telltale was probably 80% Bruce Wayne play, and it just kept going and going. It was just way too much Bruce Wayne. And that is actually one of my main gripes with TDKT: it's more of a Bruce Wayne trilogy than a Batman trilogy. I want the focus to be on Batman.

Quote from: Catwoman on Fri, 17 May  2019, 01:35
Robert Pattinson

https://variety.com/2019/film/news/robert-pattinson-batman-matt-reeves-bruce-wayne-dc-comics-1203125473/

After I made a fool of myself the day of Affleck's casting, I will never not take the "wait and see" approach again with any Batman actor. Still this name isn't exactly exciting lol. Not that I am too sure of a name that would have excited me, because I am still disappointed we aren't going to get to see Affleck solo.

I feel the same way, I'm giving him a chance but I really wish Affleck had a solo film.

While promoting War For the Planet of the Apes back in 2017, Reeves said Affleck was going to return.

Nearly two years later, and instead, we get this this recasting bullsh*t, and from what I hear, it's yet another reboot. ::)

Warner Butchers can shove this movie up their ass. And that's all I have to say on the matter.

QuoteJonathan Nolan: He [Batman] has this one rule, as the Joker says in The Dark Knight. But he does wind up breaking it. Does he break it in the third film?

Christopher Nolan: He breaks it in...

Jonathan Nolan: ...the first two.

Source: http://books.google.com.au/books?id=uwV8rddtKRgC&pg=PR8&dq=But+he+does+wind+up+breaking+it.&hl=en&sa=X&ei

That sucks to hear. I'm excited for it.

Glad to hear the deal is officially sealed. I would've been disappointed if Pat was passed over for Hoult.

Great choice for a younger Batman.

Quote from: Travesty on Fri, 31 May  2019, 20:04
I'm excited for it.

Same. Keaton, Kilmer and Clooney in the space of six years...the show goes on.

I reiterate everything I said before about Pattinson. There are tons of worse choices out there. And frankly, there are probably not very many better ones.

This is a casting decision I can live with.

One thing that works for me is the detective angle. I would love for Reeves to really play up that element of the character since audiences haven't seen very much of that in live action.

Either way, I'm definitely interested in this movie now. Yes, Affleck would've been my preference but the role is definitely in good hands with Pattinson.

Quote from: thecolorsblend on Sat,  1 Jun  2019, 02:03
Either way, I'm definitely interested in this movie now. Yes, Affleck would've been my preference but the role is definitely in good hands with Pattinson.

Yep. BvS is excellent but the Affleck ship sailed, and I wrapped my head around that long ago.

I see your response to Reeves/Pattinson situation being reiterated by most people. I don't see furious rage being the norm, but rather a mix of wait and see curiosity or welcoming acceptance.

We're looking at a trilogy, and possibly half a dozen villains in the first film including Penguin and Catwoman.

A Hitchcockian influence is also likely based on this Reeves comment:

QuoteWhat I try to do, in an almost Hitchcockian sense, is use the camera and use the storytelling so that you become the character, and you emphasize with that point of view. And I think there's a chance to do an almost noir-driven detective version of Batman that is point-of-view driven in a very, very powerful way, that will hopefully connect you to what's going on inside of his head and inside of his heart.

The inly movie I've ever seen Mr Pattinson appear in was Twilight. I don't remember much from his performance to be honest, I'll have ti see if he's made any films that appeal to me so that I can better evaluate his acting chops.

Rob has made some of his first official comments as the new Batman actor:

"Batman's not a hero, though. He's a complicated character. I don't think I could ever play a real hero — there's always got to be something a little bit wrong. I think it's because one of my eyes is smaller than the other one.

"It's a dope character. [Batman's] morality is a little bit off. He's not the golden boy, unlike almost every other comic-book character. There is a simplicity to his worldview, but where it sits is strange, which allows you to have more scope with the character."

I bet these comments get taken out of context. I don't see anything wrong with them. I agree Batman isn't a hero in the traditional sense. Gordon explained it succinctly at the end of TDK. He hates criminals but the something a little bit wrong with Batman is the fact he'll interrogate and play dirty. He'll keep secrets, brood and not always take care of his allies in an emotional sense. The obsession takes precedence.

https://www.digitalspy.com/movies/a29509900/robert-pattinson-batman-movie-hero/