The Halloween Franchise

Started by thecolorsblend, Thu, 17 Jan 2019, 03:26

Previous topic - Next topic
Sun, 10 Mar 2024, 05:19 #130 Last Edit: Sun, 10 Mar 2024, 20:30 by thecolorsblend
So, there's been an update about the proposed Halloween TV series. It says quite a bit but at the same time, it doesn't say much at all.

QuoteHalloween TV series: "A creative reset"

Miramax Television in October signed a deal with Trancas to develop and co-produce a Halloween TV series, which is envisioned to potentially launch a cinematic universe spanning film and television. (Miramax and Blumhouse collaborated with Trancas on the successful recent Halloween movie trilogy.)

"We're on a fast track, it's a big priority for us. We've had lots of exciting conversations in recent months with a number of really talented people, and I think we'll have a pretty good idea of what we're going to be doing very soon," Helwig said, adding, "We're hoping to lock down the creative team very soon."

While the search for a writer is still ongoing, the idea for the TV series already has been identified.

"It's a big world," Helwig said of the 13-movie franchise. The most recent trilogy culminating with Halloween Ends provided a fitting conclusion to the story, "so I don't think that is an opportunity to go off the back of that."

So the series is going back to the Halloween franchise's origins.

"The foundation of it is the original film, the John Carpenter movie, the characters of that film, and perhaps a group of characters that we haven't really focused on that much in recent film versions or even in a number of them," Helwig said. "It's a creative reset completely and going back to the original film, as opposed to spinning out of any of the more recent film adaptations."

https://deadline.com/2024/03/miramax-the-gentlemen-tv-season-2-halloween-series-1235848616
I have no idea what it is about media types that they'll use the word "reboot" in every gd possible context except the CORRECT one.

So, is this a reboot? Is it a continuation of something else? Good luck trying to figure it out based on all that verbal diarrhea. "It's a creative reset completely and going back to the original film". Wtf does that even mean??

3C Films is being a lot more charitable about all this than me.

It's early days yet. Maybe a little too early for me to get as annoyed as I am right now. But when these media dickwipes talk out of both sides of their mouths like that, it's frustrating. If they're going to issue a public statement, then the absolute LEAST they can do is make it coherent. "Yeah it's a reset which directly ties in with the original!" Whaaaa??

Hopefully, the rest of you aren't as cranky tonight as I apparently am.

Quote from: thecolorsblend on Sun, 10 Mar  2024, 05:19Hopefully, the rest of you aren't as cranky tonight as I apparently am.

LOL

It really does read like, "Ok. Let's issue a statement about the series, buuuuuuut let's keep this as absolutely and incredibly vague as humanly possible! Just to keep the chatter going, and arguments coming with the fans on who's right, and who's wrong!" *snicker snicker*

If I had to take a wild guess, it sorta sounds like yet another "Ignore everything outside the 1978 Halloween" timeline. With Jamie Lee Curtis/Laurie Strode being done, I just get the feeling that there was a offer made to Paul Rudd to return to the franchise, and to provide a mainstream/casual viewer hook to become interested in yet another Halloween continuity. Which is just me basing this guess on that, "Group of characters that we haven't really focused on that much in recent film versions or even in a number of them" statement.

Just sounds like we're likely to see familiar characters with (sorta) new faces pop back up. Rudd returning as Tommy Doyle might be a deal with he's not exactly the same Tommy from H6, where that film events and all the thorn stuff can be ignored, but effectively it's Paul Rudd back as Tommy. The same could be done with Danielle Harris where the powers that be could decide if this Jamie Lloyd is Laurie's daughter or not? Tom Atkins returning as a different, but similar Dr. Challis. ect

How pleasing that approach will ultimately be is anyone's guess, but it just doesn't sound like they're going absolutely go back to square 1, and choosing to take the same route as Blumhouse. Solidifying H1978, and having familiar faces return as similar characters...

I don't know which franchise has more timelines out of Halloween and Texas Chainsaw Massacre, but it's got to be a close race.

"Imagination is a quality given a man to compensate him for what he is not, and a sense of humour was provided to console him for what he is."

1981 advertisement for the original "Halloween" premiere on NBC. Coinciding with the theatrical release of "Halloween II".

"Imagination is a quality given a man to compensate him for what he is not, and a sense of humour was provided to console him for what he is."