30th Anniversary 4K Ultra HD Blu-Ray

Started by DarkVengeance, Tue, 8 Jan 2019, 02:25

Previous topic - Next topic
Quote from: The Dark Knight on Thu,  4 Apr  2019, 12:52
Quote from: BatmanFurst on Thu,  4 Apr  2019, 00:31
Quote from: Furstmobile on Tue,  2 Apr  2019, 22:13
God it's far worse than we could've imagined. They took what they already had and somehow made it worse. This is why I hate simultaneous/box set releases, total sacrifice of identity for constancy's sake. The white skyline at the bottom of their packaging has nothing to do with the cities in any of the movies. The streaming versions at least bothered to get the Burton cities right.
I'm tired of people trying to do their take on the cover. Just put the poster on there! The DVD set from 2005 is the only set that got that right.
I'm more curious to see what the film looks like in 4K, considering its age. If the picture quality will be much different to the Blu-ray.

I guarantee it will be a BIG difference. The previous Blu and DVD were from a dated master. I'm hearing that they may be using the original master used from the Laserdisc (which most fans say is the most accurate depiction of 89 that's available for home video format). Hopefully they fix the contrast and brightness issues that 89 and BR had.

Time will tell, but I'm excited!

I have given a name to my pain, and it is BATMAN.

I was under the impression that new masters were struck for that huge 2005 release.

Frankly, I hope they don't use those first-run DVD masters. The colors were goofed up and small object detail in those late 90's-era DVD masters was shoddy... even by late 90's standards. And then, of course, several of the movies were misframed.

All in all, those are probably not masters WB should want to go back to and certainly not for a 4k release.

The masters for those 2005-era DVD's were great though. Not sure that they're 4k-friendly. But they look amazing even now and WB spent a pretty penny remastering B89 and BR with brand new Dolby and DTS 5.1 surround tracks.

I've never understood the knocks people have against the 2005 DVD collection. That was a superior, very high quality product by any sane standard.

Some smart design choices, and some not-so-smart. I think the use of a color scheme is a step in the right direction. And the buildings were interesting at first, but it's very clear when they aren't from the film. The fact that they used the same cityscape unifies all the designs in a not-so-good way.

Rear cover. No new features by the looks of it. Also not sure if the feaures are still in 480i.

Click on thumbnail

Quote from: DarkVengeance on Thu,  4 Apr  2019, 22:10
Quote from: The Dark Knight on Thu,  4 Apr  2019, 12:52
Quote from: BatmanFurst on Thu,  4 Apr  2019, 00:31
Quote from: Furstmobile on Tue,  2 Apr  2019, 22:13
God it's far worse than we could've imagined. They took what they already had and somehow made it worse. This is why I hate simultaneous/box set releases, total sacrifice of identity for constancy's sake. The white skyline at the bottom of their packaging has nothing to do with the cities in any of the movies. The streaming versions at least bothered to get the Burton cities right.
I'm tired of people trying to do their take on the cover. Just put the poster on there! The DVD set from 2005 is the only set that got that right.
I'm more curious to see what the film looks like in 4K, considering its age. If the picture quality will be much different to the Blu-ray.

I guarantee it will be a BIG difference. The previous Blu and DVD were from a dated master. I'm hearing that they may be using the original master used from the Laserdisc (which most fans say is the most accurate depiction of 89 that's available for home video format). Hopefully they fix the contrast and brightness issues that 89 and BR had.

Time will tell, but I'm excited!

I hope so. Last year's Superman the movie 4K release was a big disappointment for me. The picture offered little to no improvement. Un large part to Unsworth's fuzzy purposeful sloft cinematic style.

Fathom Events finally got back to me on Facebook in regards to the upcoming theatrical presentations of the first four Batman films.

I have given a name to my pain, and it is BATMAN.

Very exciting. I got tix for Batman, Batman Forever, and Batman & Robin.

Quote from: BatmanFurst on Wed, 10 Apr  2019, 09:18
Very exciting. I got tix for Batman, Batman Forever, and Batman & Robin.
Looks like you're missing one. :D

Wouldn't mind seeing Batman Returns in the theater, since I've seen Batman 1989 as apart of some retro screenings about 4 times since 2015. However, the 4 hour drive and probably having to get scheduled off work is most likely going to put some brakes on any such plans.

"Imagination is a quality given a man to compensate him for what he is not, and a sense of humour was provided to console him for what he is."

Just saw the fathom event it is darker and more bluer. There is a new sound mix with alot of new modern sound effects and added sound effects. Guns now sound modern. The score was remixed and sound like lalaland but sounded good.