SyFy: "Keaton's Batman is still the gold standard"

Started by The Laughing Fish, Thu, 27 Dec 2018, 04:45

Previous topic - Next topic
Quote from: Kamdan on Sun, 27 Dec  2020, 14:59
QuoteNot necessarily true, I just don't care for certain instances when it backfires miserably. Hence my following comment.

Yeah, well, considering I know someone who did get raped when they were younger, you can forgive me if I think such an allegory is abhorrent. But hey, if you think I'm too sensitive to appreciate such "dark humour" because of this tragic knowledge I've got in the back of my mind then that's your problem.

Definitely a hazard when it comes to approaching this type of material. Some of it will land and some of it won't.

Then don't patronise and make any assumptions if people don't appreciate such edgy attempts at satire. If someone doesn't think a taboo "joke" is funny, they likely have a very good reason.

QuoteYou seem to resent Affleck for not showing any respect for the Daredevil film he worked on. Well, I got news for you, sometimes actors just don't care for the material that they starred in. For instance, Alec Guinness once told a young enthusiastic Star Wars fan to stop watching the film, because he hated it himself. Harrison Ford doesn't seem to care much for the franchise either, even though it made him such a household name. I shouldn't have to point out actors play make-believe for a living.

Your examples reacted that way because it's something they're constantly asked about. Guinness was annoyed that his body of work seemed to him was going to ignored for this one role of his. Ford feels the same way and isn't someone who doesn't like his personal space violated.

Guinness wasn't only annoyed that his whole career was going to be ignored for only one role, he was very scathing of the entire script for A New Hope. He reportedly called it "fairy-tale rubbish" even before he started working on it.

https://dangerousminds.net/comments/alec_guinness_a.k.a._obi_wan_kenobi_kind_of_hated_star_wars

As for Ford, one can argue he can be a bit of a primadonna seeing as he has enjoyed a rather illustrious career compared to some of his fellow Star Wars co-stars.

But you know what? All of that is beside the point. The fact of the matter is that some actors, like in Guinness and Affleck's case, did some projects for the money but without affection for the material. And you know what? That's life. They're actors. You'd be hard-pressed to find anyone whose real-life personalities reflect that of the characters they play on screen. The only thing you can expect from them is to play their roles at the very best of their abilities. Not everyone is like Chadwick Boseman or Adam West.

Affleck got his noise with his light over the years and is only now starting to sober up. For Daredevil, he acts as though he was in an episode of the 80's Superboy TV show than a multi-million dollar movie, calling it "embarrassing." That kind of attitude never warrant him to wear the cowl of Batman. Adam West truly did material that at times was embarrassing but he never called it that. He was always grateful for the opportunity.

The problem is you're judging Affleck because of his lack of appreciation for his own work in Daredevil, when you don't seem to realise (or are possibly ignoring) that he is actually grateful to play Batman. The only reason Affleck got convinced to star in comic book adaptations again was because he was impressed with Snyder's vision of the character. And guess what? Unlike Daredevil, Affleck has gone on record saying how much he loved working on BvS and he had been very supportive of the campaign to get the Snyder cut released. I'll even post the videos again that I shared in the Daredevil comic influences thread.

That's right, despite all the derision BvS gets from critics and detractors, and how much they would've loved the Snyder cut to stay buried, Affleck still appreciates playing Batman and stands by those films. Had there not been any trouble behind the scenes of JL, it wouldn't have exacerbated his own personal life problems, and he would've more than likely starred in his own solo film by now.

I get you don't like Affleck, that's fine. You can even continue making crass little remarks at his past addictions if it makes you feel any better. But spare us this petty bullsh*t that he should never have been given the Batman role just because he didn't enjoy playing Daredevil many years ago.
QuoteJonathan Nolan: He [Batman] has this one rule, as the Joker says in The Dark Knight. But he does wind up breaking it. Does he break it in the third film?

Christopher Nolan: He breaks it in...

Jonathan Nolan: ...the first two.

Source: http://books.google.com.au/books?id=uwV8rddtKRgC&pg=PR8&dq=But+he+does+wind+up+breaking+it.&hl=en&sa=X&ei

Mon, 28 Dec 2020, 02:59 #21 Last Edit: Mon, 28 Dec 2020, 03:22 by Kamdan
QuoteThen don't patronise and make any assumptions if people don't appreciate such edgy attempts at satire. If someone doesn't think a taboo "joke" is funny, they likely have a very good reason.
And don't act like you're the gatekeeper of humor and crass everyone that doesn't follow you. Again, this type of humor is not on the same level of things that are meant to be knee slapping hilarious. People probably don't find The Joker fying someone to death because they may know someone burned to death. Look up how Jack Cassidy died.

QuoteGuinness wasn't only annoyed that his whole career was going to be ignored for only one role, he was very scathing of the entire script for A New Hope. He reportedly called it "fairy-tale rubbish" even before he started working on it.
Ooh, can I play too? Schwarzenegger was calling the first Terminator sh*t before it came out and became his signature role that he can't escape from now with all of the attempts at bringing it back. Guinness most likely wasn't fond of the working conditions but he seemed to get along with his costars and was lucky that it all came together as good as it did. Again what really annoyed him the most was that was going to be the first thing mentioned in his eulogy and not his preferred body of work that he wanted to be remembered for. An actor of his stature like wants to be remembered for all of his roles, not the one that made the most money at the box office.

QuoteAs for Ford, one can argue he can be a bit of a primadonna seeing as he has enjoyed a rather illustrious career compared to some of his fellow Star Wars co-stars.
What's wrong with a man appreciating the success he's had? He's not a total curmudgeon because he's taken a lot of it in stride. It's part of his sense of humor and appeal. He let Conan O'Brien air a clip of him in the Star Wars Holiday Special and played up the humor of the situation. If you played a clip of Gigli for Affleck, he would just get pissy and storm off like a child.

QuoteThat's right, despite all the derision BvS gets from critics and detractors, and how much they would've loved the Snyder cut to stay buried, Affleck still appreciates playing Batman and stands by those films. Had there not been any trouble behind the scenes of JL, it wouldn't have exacerbated his own personal life problems, and he would've more than likely starred in his own solo film by now.

I get you don't like Affleck, that's fine. You can even continue making crass little remarks at his past addictions if it makes you feel any better. But spare us this petty bullsh*t that he should never have been given the Batman role just because he didn't enjoy playing Daredevil many years ago.
The main reason he's doing all of this praise of Snyder and all is because he was involved beyond just being an actor. He used his Oscar winning leverage to get Chris Terrio involved with the final screenplay and was an executive producer on Justice League. He can't turn against this as easily as he's done with films that's made him a star (not just Daredevil, but Armageddon and Pearl Harbor). He knows that he can blame only himself for decisions that lead to the polarizing at best reception to the films he was Batman in.

Now that this Snyder cut is coming soon, it's the only thing he's got to cling to since he's now relegated to cheap sports movies now that his last directorial effort was a bomb, thanks partially in part to him not considering this kind of reaction taking on a big part like Batman that dominated a lot of the publicity. It was largely a mistake to cast a star like Affleck in this role because Batman doesn't need to star. The suit makes the man.

And since were passing around clips, just see how this guy deals with people that have a different opinion from him. He believes getting pissy and angry will somehow make him win an argument when all it does is just makes look terrible, just like a lot of his acting. Again, not worthy of the cowl. I trust that learning this is not acceptable behavior has been part of his sobering process.

Tue, 29 Dec 2020, 04:57 #22 Last Edit: Tue, 29 Dec 2020, 04:59 by Andrew
Personally I liked Affleck's acting (Pearl Harbor aside) in his movies to about 2004/2006, since then he's come off as too egotistical for me to like (including or especially in that clip, sarcastically responding "You're the expert" is a very annoying, weak response to take in a discussion), I used to completely separate actors' personal lives and screen presences but that division has been declining.

Ford and Affleck do both come off as overly egotistical and unappreciative of their stardom but I guess that's not really surprising or unusual, with enough talent to do great in a role you probably usually will think that you completely deserved it and you specifically were what made the rest great.