Rank all the solo Spider-Man films

Started by The Laughing Fish, Fri, 14 Dec 2018, 20:43

Previous topic - Next topic
I finally watched Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse tonight.

It was pretty good. Great, innovative animation and a fine way to weave between a story involving multiverse characters together with what is essentially a Miles Morales origin story. My only little gripe is I have couldn't done without the contemporary rap/hip-hop, but it's a great watch for people of all ages. A much better coming-of-age story than Tom Holland, and the humour is done in much better taste. Well, except for that one post-credit scene [SPOILER]with Spider-Man 2099 arguing with the 1967 animated Spider-Man. That was a stupid cash-in on that overdone pointing meme[/SPOILER].

Here is my revised list of where I rank Into the Spider-Verse.

• Spider-Man 2 (2004)
  • Spider-Man (2002)
  • Spider-Man 3 (2007)
  • Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse (2018)
  • The Amazing Spider-Man (2012)
  • The Amazing Spider-Man 2 (2014)
  • Spider-Man: Homecoming (2017)
QuoteJonathan Nolan: He [Batman] has this one rule, as the Joker says in The Dark Knight. But he does wind up breaking it. Does he break it in the third film?

Christopher Nolan: He breaks it in...

Jonathan Nolan: ...the first two.

Source: http://books.google.com.au/books?id=uwV8rddtKRgC&pg=PR8&dq=But+he+does+wind+up+breaking+it.&hl=en&sa=X&ei

Spider-Man2
Into the Spiderverse
Homecoming
TASM
Spider-Man
Far From Home
Spider-Man3
TASM2

Overall, I don't hate the Spiderman movies, but none of them have really done anything for me. I used to love reading Spiderman in the 90s, and he's still one of my favorites, but the live action movies haven't really hit it for me. Again, I don't hate them, I'm just not in love with any of them. The only one I really "hate" is TASM2, and even that movie has some stuff I like about it. I have a similar reaction to the live action X-Men movies, although, the quality on those is more sporadic than Spidey. But overall, they're just movies that are there.

I'm updating my list yet again to include Across The Spider-Verse.

• Spider-Man 2 (2004)
  • Spider-Man (2002)
  • Spider-Man 3 (2007)
  • Spider-Man: Across the Spider-Verse

The only reason both Spider-Verse entries are ranked in the middle of my list is because I hold the Raimi trilogy in high regard. The Spider-Verse series, so far, is a very good Miles Morales journey. I look forward to seeing the next and final film of that trilogy.
QuoteJonathan Nolan: He [Batman] has this one rule, as the Joker says in The Dark Knight. But he does wind up breaking it. Does he break it in the third film?

Source: http://books.google.com.au/books?id=uwV8rddtKRgC&pg=PR8&dq=But+he+does+wind+up+breaking+it.&hl=en&sa=X&ei

I never realized this thread existed until LaughingFish's update.

1. Spider-Man 2
2. Spider-Man 3
3. Spider-Man: Into the Spiderverse
4. Spider-Man (2002)
5. Spider-Man: Across the Spiderverse
6. Spider-Man Homecoming
7. Amazing Spider-Man
8. Spider-Man No Way Home
9. Amazing Spider-Man 2

Across the Spiderverse probably could've been higher if the filmmakers had bothered to give it an ending.

I could write a whole essay on why I really like Spider-Man 3, but I'll keep it brief. Yes the film has problems and issues that hold it back from being on Spider-Man 2's level. However, I think Peter Parker's story in this film is well done and for me it's one of the best character arcs that I've seen for that character is live action. His arc alone makes me think of it in high regard in comparison to the other Spidey flicks.

I'm in the minority, but I think No Way Home is one of the worst Spider-Man films made so far. The only reason it isn't at the bottom is a testament to how much of a trainwreck Amazing Spider-Man 2 is. I think Peter Parker is an insufferable character in NWH. Everything bad that happens in this film is his fault. The whole story of keeping these insanely dangerous villains around just so he can come up with some bs way of curing them is absurd. Sandman becomes a villain again for no reason, and there's also no reason for why the two Spider-Men come into Holland's universe. The writing for this movie is terrible, and there were certain scenes where the COVID restrictions were very apparent. (EXAMPLE: Norman's lack of interaction with McGuire's Peter when he's injured on the ground.) No Way Home solidified that Holland's take on the character is not for me at all.

Still haven't seen Far From Home and don't plan to.

I betrayed my lack of enthusiasm and gave NWH a go recently. Here is where it ranks.

• Spider-Man 2 (2004)
  • Spider-Man (2002)
  • Spider-Man 3 (2007)
  • Spider-Man: Across the Spider-Verse (2023)
  • Spider-Man: No Way Home (2021)

NWH is nothing more than fan-service. Still, I found it more entertaining than Homecoming, and the returning characters from Raimi and Webb's universes made it bearable. The thing is the plot is just not worth dissecting because there are obvious contrivances going on here; it's just exploiting the multiverse but certain moments in the history of the other two Spider-Verses. Only Electro getting lost into Holland's made some sense here.

I do need to give credit to Tom Holland's acting in the third act though. As soon as Aunt May died, his Peter Parker showed some emotional range and broke away from the usual tiresome antics. Maybe if his previous appearances weren't so obsessed with trying to make everything as quippy as possible, I might've warmed up to his character much better.

I still say NWH is not on par with the Spider-Verse stuff. I find myself much more engaged in Miles Morales than Holland's Peter, and the whole multiverse setting feels much larger and more at stake despite NWH bringing Garfield, Maguire and co back.