Joker (2019)

Started by Wayne49, Wed, 19 Sep 2018, 11:58

Previous topic - Next topic
Wed, 19 Sep 2018, 11:58 Last Edit: Fri, 21 Sep 2018, 20:21 by Silver Nemesis
Some early pics of Joaquin in the role have surfaced on the net. It appears we're getting a full on origin story that will essentially guide us through his path into crime and the macabre. At a glance it looks like it has potential depending on how disciplined they are in the treatment. I like using BVS as a cautionary example of how these films read when the treatment tries too hard to cater to a social seriousness that collapses on itself with the concept.

If the Joker movie becomes a deep study, leaning on social justification for his maniac and insane behaviors, I think you tread into territory that borders on both unintentional camp and a neglect for the comic book foundation. These stories need to keep him in a surreal environment that justifies the birth of his comic character and not something more inline with Charles Manson. Yes, we can have social themes interwoven in this tale like most comic movies possess. But both the writer and director need to know when to turn the lecture off and bring out the costumes. This is a comic book villain. There has to be an entertainment factor that invites the audience in to watch these films. So in my eyes balance in the treatment will be key here.

Not interested in this movie whatsoever. Although, I do like the idea that they're exploring his origin like in B89, in spite of the naysayers who wrongfully believe "Joker doesn't have a backstory".
QuoteJonathan Nolan: He [Batman] has this one rule, as the Joker says in The Dark Knight. But he does wind up breaking it. Does he break it in the third film?

Christopher Nolan: He breaks it in...

Jonathan Nolan: ...the first two.

Source: http://books.google.com.au/books?id=uwV8rddtKRgC&pg=PR8&dq=But+he+does+wind+up+breaking+it.&hl=en&sa=X&ei

Makeup screen test / the teaser to the teaser trailer

"Imagination is a quality given a man to compensate him for what he is not, and a sense of humour was provided to console him for what he is."

Fri, 21 Sep 2018, 20:34 #3 Last Edit: Sat, 22 Sep 2018, 01:39 by Silver Nemesis
I really don't know what to make of this film. It looks like an attempt to capitalise on the legacy of Ledger's Joker, similar to how the 2004 Catwoman movie was spiritually indebted to Pfeiffer's incarnation (coincidentally, Frances Conroy features in both Catwoman '04 and Joker '19). But I'm intrigued by the tone of this preview. The look he gives at the end when his smile fades is genuinely disconcerting.

It'll be interesting to see how closely the finished makeup resembles this test footage. Presumably the teardrop design is a nod to Pagliacci.

I'm generally not in favour of all these spinoffs centred around supporting characters from the Batman and Superman mythologies, but I'm trying to keep an open mind. If nothing else, this one sounds more interesting than the Joker & Harley movie starring Leto. The fact it's coming out in October 2019 indicates the postproduction period will be shorter than most modern CBMs, which hopefully means less overblown CG imagery and more practical effects work. I'm also hoping it will be rated R. I sense De Niro's involvement is meant to inspire confidence amongst film buffs. But let's be honest – when was the last time De Niro appeared in a truly great film?

Joker '19 might be good, or it might be another Catwoman '04. Like I say, I really don't know what to make of it.

What I do know is that the Joker's real name in this film is Arthur Fleck.

Mr. A Fleck.

A-Fleck.

Affleck!

Yeah, this Garfield Minus Garfield thing is getting tired.

Still, I'll give WB some leeway on this since they're obviously trying to find a direction for the (or a) Batman franchise. As they do so, they're more or less following my original suggestion of experimenting with different depictions of characters to figure out which one works best.

Of course, I suggested that approach for the main hero characters rather than their supporting casts and/or villains. So hmm.

But I like the 70's'ish New Hollywood vibe I've gotten from the photos and that teaser. De Niro aside, this movie looks like it could be Taxi Driver in clown makeup. That... could be kind of awesome, actually.

Sat, 22 Sep 2018, 02:56 #5 Last Edit: Sat, 22 Sep 2018, 02:59 by thecolorsblend
Oh, one other thing. That wilting smile bit there? One reason why I never objected to Joaquin Phoenix in the role is because the guy has always seemed a little nuts to me. Even in his more normal roles, the guy always come off like he had a screw loose. My first exposure to him was in the 80's Superboy TV show and even when I was a kid, he seemed like a psycho to me. Eight year old me wouldn't have been comfortable in a room by myself with that kid.

And in the intervening thirty years, precisely nothing has changed.

If I could buy anybody as the Joker, yeah, Phoenix is somewhere in the top five. The wilting smile is a big reason why.

Quote from: thecolorsblend on Sat, 22 Sep  2018, 02:56My first exposure to him was in the 80's Superboy TV show and even when I was a kid, he seemed like a psycho to me. Eight year old me wouldn't have been comfortable in a room by myself with that kid.

I'd completely forgotten he was in that.

Phoenix is a little short for the role (so were Nicholson and Leto), but he's clearly lost a lot of weight to achieve a suitably lanky frame. Overall he's a solid pick for the Joker.

Here are some new set pics.

Great pics, thanks SN.

I must say I'm kind of getting jazzed for this movie. It's a low budget thing (in today's estimation of what "low budget" means), it's a period piece and it looks to be incredibly character-driven. From the sounds of it, Phoenix is doing the movie for love of the game. He wants to make a FILM. Same seems to be true of Phillips, the director. And...

... the 80's setting instantly gives the movie a bunch of extra grit and texture it might lack otherwise.

This is starting to look pretty cool, y'all.

Sun, 23 Sep 2018, 08:36 #8 Last Edit: Sun, 23 Sep 2018, 08:40 by The Laughing Fish
The make-up Phoenix is wearing only vindicates my lack of interest in this film. That looks sh*thouse. It's just a return to that facepaint crap, only this time he resembles more of a clown instead of that edgy Glasgow Smile garbage. I'm getting really tired of Hollywood trying to reinvent the character over the years. The only film appearance that came close to resembling the character is Nicholson's make-up and costume in B89, and even then, I have to admit that the surgically fixed permanent smile was a deviation to the comics.

Thomas Wayne will be a key character in this. Originally it was thought he would be played by Alec Baldwin but then he pulled out because "scheduling conflicts". Brett Cullen has been cast instead. The thing I thought was ridiculous was this description of Bruce's father in this movie:

Joker intends to portray Thomas Wayne as a Donald Trump-like character, and they'll have more in common then just being businessmen. In Joker, Thomas Wayne is running for a prominent political position in Gotham.

Source: https://screenrant.com/joker-movie-thomas-wayne-gotham-mayor/

Now, I'll acknowledge that maybe this is a rumour and isn't true at all. It's possible that misinformation got out because as soon as The Hollywood Reporter announced the news, they probably assumed Baldwin would play a Trump parody, because that is exactly what he does on SNL. But then again, it wouldn't surprise me because Hollywood loves to spread their political propaganda in their movies, especially given the fact the entire industry has gone nuts over Trump over the last couple of years. For all we know, it will probably portray Thomas as some sort of heartless conservative politician responsible for making the Joker what he is. I don't really care because I don't have a dog in this fight over politics, but I'm not too fond of the possible idea of Bruce's father being portrayed in a less than flattering light.

For those of you looking forward to this, good on you. I do hope you enjoy it. But for me, the more I hear from this film, it sounds like a wannabe Scorsese crime film slapped with a Joker title on it. No thank you. I'm out.
QuoteJonathan Nolan: He [Batman] has this one rule, as the Joker says in The Dark Knight. But he does wind up breaking it. Does he break it in the third film?

Christopher Nolan: He breaks it in...

Jonathan Nolan: ...the first two.

Source: http://books.google.com.au/books?id=uwV8rddtKRgC&pg=PR8&dq=But+he+does+wind+up+breaking+it.&hl=en&sa=X&ei

"Imagination is a quality given a man to compensate him for what he is not, and a sense of humour was provided to console him for what he is."