New Terminator reboot

Started by The Laughing Fish, Sun, 19 Aug 2018, 01:23

Previous topic - Next topic
Yes, there will be another attempt to restart the Terminator franchise, for the third time in nearly ten years.

It will be directed by Tim Miller, who made the first Deadpool film, James Cameron has returned as a producer, and it features the return of Arnold Schwarzenegger and Linda Hamilton as Sarah Connor. The title hasn't been confirmed yet, but it's scheduled to come out late next year.

But if the article below is indicative of the film itself, we could be in for another feminist agenda-driven blockbuster.

The image, tweeted from the official Terminator account this morning, shows (left to right) Natalia Reyes, Mackenzie Davis and the returning Linda Hamilton looking ready for battle as they approach the viewer, battered and bruised, with flaming and smoking wreckage in the background. It's been lauded for the first opportunity to see Hamilton's Sarah Connor since 1991's Terminator 2: Judgment Day, but as welcome as that is, there's another, less obvious, reason to get excited about the movie because of this image.

There are no men in the photo.

The lesson seems obvious — but it's one that only appears to have been learned with the release of this new promotional image. When it comes to Terminator, arguably more than any other science-fiction franchise, the future is female, and always has been. The visual that audiences needed to see to have faith in any new installment isn't of the eponymous robot threat, any number of grimacing male action heroes brandishing weapons while sweating, or a callback to earlier promo posters; none of that is what makes the series special. What is, is meeting the women who are going to fight back and save tomorrow.

Source: https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/rejoice-terminator-image-doesnt-include-any-men-1131539

That article could've promoted its agenda better if it only stated that it's Sarah Connor's time to shine as the main character. But apparently, the absence of men is supposed to be a positive, as if that's what's holding the franchise back instead of rehashing and rebooting a series that has passed its expiration date a long time ago. Yes, The Sarah Connor Chronicles TV show had her as the main protagonist but I don't remember it having such heavy-handed sociopolitical messages, at least not from the dozen of episodes I saw years ago.
QuoteJonathan Nolan: He [Batman] has this one rule, as the Joker says in The Dark Knight. But he does wind up breaking it. Does he break it in the third film?

Christopher Nolan: He breaks it in...

Jonathan Nolan: ...the first two.

Source: http://books.google.com.au/books?id=uwV8rddtKRgC&pg=PR8&dq=But+he+does+wind+up+breaking+it.&hl=en&sa=X&ei

The future is vagina!!!

Considering the crap the Terminator movies have been through, that's a kind of idiotic claim to make but journalists of any stripe tend to be something like 5 IQ points below the national average. So there you go.

Oh brother.

"Imagination is a quality given a man to compensate him for what he is not, and a sense of humour was provided to console him for what he is."

The Terminator saga ended in 1991.

This latest attempt at injecting 2-4-5 Trioxin into the franchise's corpse will merely serve to illustrate the truth behind the ancient Tibetan proverb: "They that goeth woke must also goeth broke." It'll most likely flop everywhere except China.

So the new movie is titled Terminator: Dark Fate. And here is the first pic of Schwarzenegger, looking very glum. I'm surprised he's coming back, because Genisys underwhelmed financially, and he always stressed he'd only do sequels if they're a guaranteed success.

Quote from: The Joker on Sat,  8 Sep  2018, 19:16

Oh brother.

Great video. Very insightful analysis.

In my opinion, the original Terminator will remain the best of the series. What I find appealing is the horror aspect. Every time I watch this movie there's a sense of dread while watching it, whether it is Sarah Connor coming dangerously close to getting killed, the Terminator mutilates himself, the horrifying vision of a future that has long decayed and hopeless to the point where humanity's extinction feels inevitable. It really is sci-fi horror. These are the images printed in my mind. Pure sci-fi horror.

The only thing that's a lot more terrifying than those moments was the nightmare Sarah had of Judgment Day in T2, where she is burnt to her bare bones as everybody else dies in the nuclear explosion.

However, as good as T1 is, would it exist today if it weren't for the late Harlan Ellison?

QuoteJonathan Nolan: He [Batman] has this one rule, as the Joker says in The Dark Knight. But he does wind up breaking it. Does he break it in the third film?

Source: http://books.google.com.au/books?id=uwV8rddtKRgC&pg=PR8&dq=But+he+does+wind+up+breaking+it.&hl=en&sa=X&ei

Debut trailer is out:

Hooray for mediocrity!

As for using "the director of Deadpool" as a selling point... :-[.

Yeah, this is another must miss event.

Quote from: The Laughing Fish on Sun,  5 May  2019, 03:09
In my opinion, the original Terminator will remain the best of the series. What I find appealing is the horror aspect. Every time I watch this movie there's a sense of dread while watching it, whether it is Sarah Connor coming dangerously close to getting killed, the Terminator mutilates himself, the horrifying vision of a future that has long decayed and hopeless to the point where humanity's extinction feels inevitable. It really is sci-fi horror. These are the images printed in my mind. Pure sci-fi horror.

Quote from: The Laughing Fish on Sun,  5 May  2019, 03:09The only thing that's a lot more terrifying than those moments was the nightmare Sarah had of Judgment Day in T2, where she is burnt to her bare bones as everybody else dies in the nuclear explosion.
I broadly agree. T2 has a special place in my heart for a lot of reasons. But really, the first one is clearly the best. Everything after is a lesser work, to say the least.

Plus, T1 is a perfect closed loop time travel story. Sending the terminator back in time to kill Sarah is precisely what enables the rise of the machines in the first place which the humans ultimately win so, in a last ditch effort to win, Skynet sends the terminator back in time to kill Sarah which is precisely what enables etc etc etc. Realistically, you don't need a sequel to develop the story or the themes of The Terminator beyond what's already in the movie.

The sequels make a bigger and bigger and bigger mess of the timeline, narrative, themes and characters as they progress. It's to the point now where the franchise has virtually nothing in common with the original film. The closed loop time travel story of The Terminator is blown sky high with T2 and the rest of the movies only make a bad situation even worse.

In the end, The Terminator is really the only film in the series that's mandatory viewing. The others may have some redeeming qualities to them but they're simply lower quality, derivative works which serve only to water down the power and pathos of the original.

This is a pretty good edit of T1's factory scene. The recreation of the Terminator and its movement is done so well.

I have to appreciate how the creators of T1 used the Terminator's injured leg as a way to lessen the complexity behind the stop motion animation. It must've been a conscious decision to make the practical effects easier to work with, as well as it builds tension for that scene.

The stop-motion stuff never bothered me. But good on that guy for cleaning it up a little bit.

It's pretty fascinating just how many differences that have transpired over the years involving home video editions of T1, and this guy does a good job in thoroughly explaining them.

Obviously, a truly worthwhile DVD/Blu ray edition of T1 has never been produced thus far (for my money the 2001 SE comes close, due to the volume of extras, and since it's the last time the original mono soundtrack was included, but loses points due to the mono not being as vibrant as a prior bare bones DVD release). Would be nice if a company like Arrow could get a shot at it. As I was, and remain, very pleased with the limited edition set/steel book edition of the original "Robocop" that they produced a few years ago.

These days, I have no interest in seeing another new live action Terminator movie, as "Dark Fate" sincerely put the final nail in that coffin. With the upcoming anime series being produced for Netflix .... eh, we'll see how the trailer looks. I can imagine some approaches to the material that might be more inclined for approval under a anime setting, than otherwise likely wouldn't have been for a multi-million dollar live action movie, but again, we'll see. 

"Imagination is a quality given a man to compensate him for what he is not, and a sense of humour was provided to console him for what he is."