Viral Marketing

Started by Silver Nemesis, Sun, 8 Jul 2018, 11:49

Previous topic - Next topic
Who else has fond memories of this film's viral marketing campaign? It was one of the most effective and elaborate advertising campaigns in movie history. I wasn't one of those fans who got involved in the real world events, but I do remember joining in with some of the online stuff. Like that one site which was completely black, but when you dragged the cursor down the page it revealed hidden writing that read "HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA" in one huge wall of text. Every now and then there was a different letter, and if you went through and added all these letters together it spelled a hidden message. Then there was the 'I Believe in Harvey Dent' site which revealed the first image of Ledger's Joker.

Fans were so hyped about this back in the day.

There were also the Gotham Tonight vids with Mike Engel that were posted online in the runup to the movie's release. They gave extra back story to the film and offered fans insight into some of Batman's activities between the events of Batman Begins and TDK.

And of course there was the Gotham Knight anime that introduced some of TDK's new characters, including Ramirez and Maroni. All in all, this was an outstanding campaign that did a great job getting the public hyped for the movie. The short order release schedule of modern CBMs would likely preclude a campaign like this in 2018, and that's a real shame.

I loved it. I wish I had been here at the time, since I'm sure yall had fun with it, but the other site I was on we got into it too. And it wasn't just viral stuff, I mentioned in the other thread about memories that Domino's Pizza had these Gotham Times papers that came with a pizza. Idk the last time I sat and read a newspaper but it was long before 2008, but I read that whole thing lol. It was neat. It didn't have the merchandise marketing like Tim and Joel's movies that I really remember fondly but that was a lot of fun too.

I had a lot of fun with the viral marketing, and it's something we'll probably never see again, as that came out in the infancy of social media. Now, you can just drop a trailer or poster on twitter, and it goes even more viral than anything before it.

Quote from: Catwoman on Wed, 11 Jul  2018, 00:51
I loved it. I wish I had been here at the time, since I'm sure yall had fun with it, but the other site I was on we got into it too. And it wasn't just viral stuff, I mentioned in the other thread about memories that Domino's Pizza had these Gotham Times papers that came with a pizza. Idk the last time I sat and read a newspaper but it was long before 2008, but I read that whole thing lol. It was neat. It didn't have the merchandise marketing like Tim and Joel's movies that I really remember fondly but that was a lot of fun too.

I never read those Dominoes newspapers. I've looked for scans online, but unfortunately I can't find any. I did however find this commercial.

It's amazing how much footage was shot specially for these adverts.

Quote from: Travesty on Wed, 11 Jul  2018, 16:08
I had a lot of fun with the viral marketing, and it's something we'll probably never see again, as that came out in the infancy of social media. Now, you can just drop a trailer or poster on twitter, and it goes even more viral than anything before it.

True. I suppose with these shared universe films getting released so close together, there's less of a need to build hype for individual instalments. Instead they share a sustained hype that carries over from one film to the next, like episodes in a serialised TV show.