The Dark Knight 10th Anniversary Thread

Started by Silver Nemesis, Sat, 7 Jul 2018, 21:59

Previous topic - Next topic
Quote from: The Dark Knight on Sun,  7 Jun  2020, 13:02The only real argument the Ledger crowd have is that 'TDK shows the Joker opposed to Batman, whereas the Phoenix film doesn't.'
I enjoy Ledger and Phoenix in the role just about equally. But that is a rather positive element for Ledger's Joker.

Another thing Ledger has going for him is the Joker as a criminal mastermind. Phoenix's journey ends the moment he becomes the Joker. We don't see him as any kind of mastermind. It's obvious that's what he becomes but we never really see it.

Again, I like them both just about equally.

Mon, 8 Jun 2020, 02:18 #11 Last Edit: Mon, 8 Jun 2020, 03:18 by The Dark Knight
Quote from: thecolorsblend on Sun,  7 Jun  2020, 15:29
Another thing Ledger has going for him is the Joker as a criminal mastermind. Phoenix's journey ends the moment he becomes the Joker. We don't see him as any kind of mastermind. It's obvious that's what he becomes but we never really see it.

True. I think there was an element of the criminal mastermind when he used the disguise to enter the theater.

Yes, Ledger died, but for all intents and purposes, the character's journey ends when he's arrested.  "I think you and I are destined to do this forever." Nope. TDK Rises says something very different about that. He's never seen or heard again, which I actually DO think is appropriate – because he appeared from nowhere in the first place, and disappears to nowhere in the same fashion.

Having an entire film to himself is a huge positive for Phoenix and it gave him the best possible opportunity to make an impression. We get to know his Joker before the transformation, and that also goes for Nicholson. They have clearly defined arcs and are treated as characters, rather than myths. I find myself preferring that approach.

So, here's something I never took much notice of before. There's a recurring motif (or something) of characters taking shots meant for other people in TDK.

Batman blocks a bazooka aimed at Dent's armored truck, Gordon takes a bullet meant for the mayor, Bruce intercepts some redneck truck meant to crash into Reese's police caravan using his Lamborghini and, later, (this is more symbolic than anything) Batman takes the fall for Two-Face's murders to protect Dent's image.