Your favorite Batman movie quote

Started by Edd Grayson, Mon, 14 May 2018, 03:20

Previous topic - Next topic
There are a lot of things we love about the movies, and this time I'm curious what is your favorite quote from the Caped Crusader on the big screen.

Right now I'm partial to : I had to save them both. You see, I'm both Bruce Wayne and Batman. Not because I have to be. Now... because I choose to be. from Batman Forever.

I like the context in which it's said and also Val's delivery a lot.

What about you?  :)

Just to be clear, are you asking for our favourite quote from the films, or our favourite quote specifically said by Batman in the films?

For what it's worth, this is my favourite overall quote, but it isn't said by Batman:

"You ever dance with the devil in the pale moonlight?"

Even though it's got nothing directly to do with the comics and the characters, and it no-one really knows what it means, everyone remembers that line.  It's also part of two of my favourite scenes in my favourite Batman film: the confrontation between the Joker and Bruce at Vicki's apartment ("You wanna get nuts?  Let's get nuts!" which is another of my favourite lines), and the flashback scene of Jack Napier murdering Bruce's parents.

If you meant something specifically said by Batman, whilst he's in the costume, I'll have to come up with something else.
Johnny Gobs got ripped and took a walk off a roof, alright? No big loss.

My favourite quote by Batman in live action? It would have to be these couple of lines when he finds a new sense of hope and inspiration during a moment of guilt and sadness in BvS:

"I failed him in life. I will not fail him in death".

"Men are still good. We fight, we kill, we betray one another. But we can rebuild. We can do better. We will. We have to".
QuoteJonathan Nolan: He [Batman] has this one rule, as the Joker says in The Dark Knight. But he does wind up breaking it. Does he break it in the third film?

Christopher Nolan: He breaks it in...

Jonathan Nolan: ...the first two.

Source: http://books.google.com.au/books?id=uwV8rddtKRgC&pg=PR8&dq=But+he+does+wind+up+breaking+it.&hl=en&sa=X&ei

@johnny: I was interested in quotes specifically said by Batman in the films, but I don't mind if you want to share a favorite quote from another character too.

Your choice is a classic.

@Laughing Fish: I also love those lines. They were powerful and heroic.

Love the movie or hate it, a lot of his lines in BVS are gold. Just about anything during his introduction to Clark, a lot of his scenes with Alfred, "I promise Martha won't die tonight" and others.

BvS has its fair share of great dialogue.

I enjoy this exchange from JL:

"Superman was a beacon to the world... Why aren't you? You're an inspiration, Diana. You don't just save people; you make them see their better selves. And yet, I'd never even heard of you until Luthor lured you out by stealing a picture of your dead boyfriend. You shut yourself down for a century, so let's not talk about me moving on."

Sat, 26 May 2018, 05:14 #6 Last Edit: Mon, 28 May 2018, 13:32 by The Laughing Fish
Quote from: The Dark Knight on Tue, 15 May  2018, 10:16
I enjoy this exchange from JL:

"Superman was a beacon to the world... Why aren't you? You're an inspiration, Diana. You don't just save people; you make them see their better selves. And yet, I'd never even heard of you until Luthor lured you out by stealing a picture of your dead boyfriend. You shut yourself down for a century, so let's not talk about me moving on."

I've heard a lot of fans hating on this line of dialogue because it makes both Bruce Wayne and Diana look petty, but let's face it, it's in Batman's stubborn nature to defend himself and call out on others for their 'flaws', for a lack of a better word.
QuoteJonathan Nolan: He [Batman] has this one rule, as the Joker says in The Dark Knight. But he does wind up breaking it. Does he break it in the third film?

Source: http://books.google.com.au/books?id=uwV8rddtKRgC&pg=PR8&dq=But+he+does+wind+up+breaking+it.&hl=en&sa=X&ei

Bottom line, Bruce had an idea and Diana would not listen. He couldn't back down from his position, he had to double down and fight his corner. As he originally said, "we don't have time for a control group". Diana's the one who became personal in the first place ("why, because of your guilt?") and Bruce only responded to her barb with some of his own. Bruce may not have any powers, but he's not going to place his persona in a position of weakness. That's a huge reason why I admire this sequence. His verbal attack on Diana refocuses the group and gives them the correct context of the situation.

I don't mean to dwell on what might've been, but I would have loved to hear Batman's original dialogue regarding Superman as a beacon of hope in the proper context. The reshoots changed his dialogue to refer Wonder Woman.

As I mentioned before, I've read comments from many angry DCEU fans on Twitter saying not only did the reshoots make Bruce and Diana look petty, but apparently, it also completely undermined Batman's character arc. You and I know that this is completely extreme. False even.

I don't know what else to make of this. I understand the grievances over Snyder appearing to have been thrown under the bus during production and WB has handled the situation poorly. But at the same time, I can't help but feel these fans are doing themselves a disservice by dismissing EVERYTHING in the film, including the story and scenes that were intended i.e. Batman's arc.

If Jay Oliva is right that Snyder's assembly cut of the film does exist, I hope it does get released one day and put an end to this angst once and for all.