Superman 80th Anniversary Thread

Started by Silver Nemesis, Sat, 31 Mar 2018, 19:41

Previous topic - Next topic
Quote from: thecolorsblend on Sat, 20 Jan  2024, 19:22I remember picking up Superman #51 (January 1991) off the comic book spinner rack (remember those?) when it was brand new at a bookstore.

This issue is auspicious for many reasons. One of them is that this issue inaugurated the famous Triangle Numbering System. See, there were three ongoing monthly Superman comics coming out at the time. And they were interwoven with each other. What happened in an issue of Action Comics would reverberate in The Adventures Of Superman and then get carried on in Superman. So, a common complaint among readers was the lack of an easy way to figure out which order the comics should be read in.

Hence, the triangle number on the cover to guide readers. And I have to say, I found it very convenient.

Honestly, the first time I ever saw this issue, was within Wizard magazine as the publication had a "Speculation" section on comics that could very well increase in value due to particulars, and this was one of them. Mainly because, as you mentioned, the Triangle numbering system starting with this issue. Which I thought was neat. Course, this was pre-internet, and I never found the comic until much, much later, but I do remember this being one I sought out for awhile. In addition, since I really didn't start reading Superman until right when Doomsday made his 1st appearance, any back issues featuring what some may consider regular Superman stories, had a particular "mystique" about them to me as kid. As, again, when I got into Superman comics, I didn't have him for very long, then there was a hiatus. Retroactively making previous past comics kinda special to me in some ways.

"Imagination is a quality given a man to compensate him for what he is not, and a sense of humour was provided to console him for what he is."

"Imagination is a quality given a man to compensate him for what he is not, and a sense of humour was provided to console him for what he is."

It's funny. I've seen the SNL Superman's 50th Anniversary special a few times. But until now, I guess I didn't realize that the bald guy was always supposed to be Lex Luthor.

Strange.

Quote from: thecolorsblend on Sun,  3 Mar  2024, 03:40It's funny. I've seen the SNL Superman's 50th Anniversary special a few times. But until now, I guess I didn't realize that the bald guy was always supposed to be Lex Luthor.

Strange.
In the credits of the special itself, Robert Smigel is listed as The Brainwave, not Lex Luthor. This was just a case of misidentification.

Via the Wizard Magazine Superman Special from 1998, this was a look at the history of Superman as it stood during the 60th Anniversary in 1998.

A look at the Post-Crisis Superman era in 1998.

A write up on the state of the DC Comics Superman line following the "Superman Forever" one shot.

Superman Roll Call

Fortress of Solitude checklist.