Superman 80th Anniversary Thread

Started by Silver Nemesis, Sat, 31 Mar 2018, 19:41

Previous topic - Next topic
Not posting them all but here's a Facebook post on Alex Ross' page with a lot of his Superman art.

https://www.facebook.com/alexrossart/posts/2047202208831504

The Superman comics are about to receive the greatest anniversary gift of all – the return of Nuclear Man (aka Nuke-you-lur Man), courtesy of Brian Michael Bendis.

I just hope Bendis does a better job on this than he did with his recent Defenders Vol 5 run.

Ok. Gus Gorman can't be too far away.

"Imagination is a quality given a man to compensate him for what he is not, and a sense of humour was provided to console him for what he is."

But will they explore his alleged romantic history with Jor-El?

Quote from: Silver Nemesis on Sat,  7 Jul  2018, 19:27
But will they explore his alleged romantic history with Jor-El?
Whaa?

"Imagination is a quality given a man to compensate him for what he is not, and a sense of humour was provided to console him for what he is."

Sat, 18 Apr 2020, 14:22 #18 Last Edit: Sun, 19 Apr 2020, 12:29 by The Laughing Fish
Happy 82nd Anniversary to the Man of Tomorrow!

I found this cool backstory to the front cover of Action Comics #1.

;D
QuoteJonathan Nolan: He [Batman] has this one rule, as the Joker says in The Dark Knight. But he does wind up breaking it. Does he break it in the third film?

Christopher Nolan: He breaks it in...

Jonathan Nolan: ...the first two.

Source: http://books.google.com.au/books?id=uwV8rddtKRgC&pg=PR8&dq=But+he+does+wind+up+breaking+it.&hl=en&sa=X&ei

All jokes aside though, I remember reading of Secret Origins' retelling of Golden Age Superman's backstory and debut, and got curious to read the original first two issues of Action Comics.

One detail that I loved is how Siegel and Shuster presented Superman as the basis of real world science, using insect strength (i.e. ants' ability to lift objects a hundred times above their weight and grasshoppers ability to leap high) to present the fantasy as somewhat plausible to the reading audience. I can only imagine having a little educational tidbit while introducing a fun new character would've made lots of kids dreamed of the impossible back in those days. Put that together with Superman as a crimefighter who gets his hands dirty by using his hands to fight injustice, there's little wonder why this guy had such an appeal to kids at such a young age.

And man, just like the Fleischer cartoons, did he kick ass. Unlike the consensus you read nowadays on the Internet, Superman didn't hold back. Nor was he afraid to intimidate crooks with his strength and threats of violence.

As a matter of fact, similar to Golden Age Batman, this Superman is apparently not too afraid to use lethal force, as he sees the perpetrators getting what they deserve for their deviancy.

He was hard, direct and dealt with matters ranged from domestic abuse, gangsters and political disputes. I love how as Superman gets involved in a South American war that the US is profiting via the sale of munitions, he forces a corrupt congressman looking to take advantage of the situation to enlist in the war as a soldier. Even going so far to disguise himself as a soldier to make sure the politician doesn't try to escape, as a means to teach him a lesson by forcing him to experience the horrors of war.

In fact, the moral of the story extended to the two rival countries fighting in the war, as Superman abducted both commanders made them see how the pointlessness of the war. Very idealistic, but an appropriate story to tell to kids given what was going in the world at that period of time. Nowadays, any comic that explores Superman getting involved in political matters tend to explore dilemmas surrounding his involvement e.g. does having too much power make Superman too invasive, whether or not he should have the right to intervene such matters, and how the rest of the world might perceive him as an existential threat? Is it way cynical way to explore Superman's relationship with the world at large? Should he EVER get involved in any political matters? Depends who you ask, but it can provide great dialogue.

One criticism I have for these two issues is Lois Lane. Man, I know meekness might be a turn-off, but Lois showing her contempt for Clark for not fighting back at that gangster is pretty cold. Worst damsel in distress ever, if I were Superman, I'd let her rot.

A fun little read on how Superman debuted back in 1938.
QuoteJonathan Nolan: He [Batman] has this one rule, as the Joker says in The Dark Knight. But he does wind up breaking it. Does he break it in the third film?

Christopher Nolan: He breaks it in...

Jonathan Nolan: ...the first two.

Source: http://books.google.com.au/books?id=uwV8rddtKRgC&pg=PR8&dq=But+he+does+wind+up+breaking+it.&hl=en&sa=X&ei