Outrage culture

Started by The Laughing Fish, Sat, 10 Feb 2018, 03:05

Previous topic - Next topic
Quote from: GoNerdYourself on Thu, 10 May  2018, 10:52
Wonder Woman's role in her films hasn't been to arouse the audience sexually.
WW is a character of beauty and that shouldn't be something to be downplayed or be ashamed of.

Quote from: The Dark Knight on Thu, 10 May  2018, 22:49
Quote from: GoNerdYourself on Thu, 10 May  2018, 10:52
Wonder Woman's role in her films hasn't been to arouse the audience sexually.
WW is a character of beauty and that shouldn't be something to be downplayed or be ashamed of.

I didn't argue otherwise.

Quote from: Catwoman on Wed,  9 May  2018, 18:08
Oh how ridiculous.

The whole world needs to step back and have a nice cup of "Shut the f*** Up."

Exactly.

I don't call myself a big Snyder fan, and there have been some films I didn't enjoy in the past, like 300. But this negativity from the press against him is absolutely slanderous. If anything, an argument can be made that Snyder objectifies men just as much as women, perhaps even more so. Look at the costumes the male Spartan warriors wore in 300, the gratuitous nudity of Doctor Manhattan and Nite-Owl in Watchmen - even BvS Ultimate Edition showed Bruce Wayne naked while having a shower. Now yes, the Watchmen and 300 examples did occur in the comics, but Snyder didn't back down from adapting those details on screen. At best, all the detractors might complain about is Silk Spectre having a more skimpy costume in the film version.
QuoteJonathan Nolan: He [Batman] has this one rule, as the Joker says in The Dark Knight. But he does wind up breaking it. Does he break it in the third film?

Christopher Nolan: He breaks it in...

Jonathan Nolan: ...the first two.

Source: http://books.google.com.au/books?id=uwV8rddtKRgC&pg=PR8&dq=But+he+does+wind+up+breaking+it.&hl=en&sa=X&ei

Quote from: The Dark Knight on Sat, 12 May  2018, 00:03
Okay.

I apologize. People seemed to be under the impression that I was saying it was wrong to find Wonder Woman sexy, which wasn't my argument at all. If that's what people got, that's not at all what I meant.

I think the very idea that any rational human being can go into a comic book movie and find contempt for the human body as an exploitative tool for the superhero experience is getting to the party a little late with little to no understanding of context. Those critics must live under a rock. I guess they find the cable series "Naked and Afraid" a more noble pursuit? I'm to the point of believing the "PC culture" is a result of ignorance born from the inability of some to understand concepts on a broad level.

Quote from: Wayne49 on Thu, 16 Aug  2018, 13:36
I think the very idea that any rational human being can go into a comic book movie and find contempt for the human body as an exploitative tool for the superhero experience is getting to the party a little late with little to no understanding of context. Those critics must live under a rock. I guess they find the cable series "Naked and Afraid" a more noble pursuit? I'm to the point of believing the "PC culture" is a result of ignorance born from the inability of some to understand concepts on a broad level.
I view it as the result of policy decisions made intentionally by our masters.

The loudmouths like Gail Simone are mostly just useful idiots.

Political correctness has indeed gone mad, but we shouldn't underestimate the other agendas at hand here. If there's anything the media has taught me over the years - last year more so - is people will do anything to slander a person or a brand for the sake of clicks.

For example, that pile of garbage website AV Club ran a headline claiming Snyder's live action adaptation of 300 was foreshadowing the rise of the alt-right. I don't like 300, but even I can see how that claim is ridiculous and baseless. Another example is a hack journalist for the Wall Street Journal who wrote an article painting a bad light on the whole fan movement supporting the release of Snyder's real vision of JL. This lead to Jay Oliva, who did storyboard work for the film, calling out the "journalist" for conveniently leaving out information he shared with him, which didn't support the article's agenda.
QuoteJonathan Nolan: He [Batman] has this one rule, as the Joker says in The Dark Knight. But he does wind up breaking it. Does he break it in the third film?

Christopher Nolan: He breaks it in...

Jonathan Nolan: ...the first two.

Source: http://books.google.com.au/books?id=uwV8rddtKRgC&pg=PR8&dq=But+he+does+wind+up+breaking+it.&hl=en&sa=X&ei

Quote from: The Laughing Fish on Sun, 19 Aug  2018, 00:46

Political correctness has indeed gone mad, but we shouldn't underestimate the other agendas at hand here. If there's anything the media has taught me over the years - last year more so - is people will do anything to slander a person or a brand for the sake of clicks.

For example, that pile of garbage website AV Club ran a headline claiming Snyder's live action adaptation of 300 was foreshadowing the rise of the alt-right. I don't like 300, but even I can see how that claim is ridiculous and baseless. Another example is a hack journalist for the Wall Street Journal who wrote an article painting a bad light on the whole fan movement supporting the release of Snyder's real vision of JL. This lead to Jay Oliva, who did storyboard work for the film, calling out the "journalist" for conveniently leaving out information he shared with him, which didn't support the article's agenda.

Oh without question. Hollywood is one of many high profile industries being used as a platform to push hidden agendas and make people quake with fear. Sadly what is missing in these industries and in many segments of society is strong leadership to stand up to these public shame campaigns that are little more than shakedowns. People need to quit fearing criticism because that fear is allowing those who complain to make decisions for all of us. In this instance, these are movies and if people can not watch these films without feeling compelled to be "offended", then they need to stay in bed. There's allot worse out there to bother them.

Quote from: The Laughing Fish on Sun, 19 Aug  2018, 00:46

For example, that pile of garbage website AV Club ran a headline claiming Snyder's live action adaptation of 300 was foreshadowing the rise of the alt-right. I don't like 300, but even I can see how that claim is ridiculous and baseless.

That's a stretch. I'm personally not a fan of the film either. For me, the experience is like walking pro-wrestling, but I'd hardly link it to the Alt-Right movement. It's just a macho action movie.

The major reason I don't like it is I really don't like Gerard Butler.

QuoteAnother example is a hack journalist for the Wall Street Journal who wrote an article painting a bad light on the whole fan movement supporting the release of Snyder's real vision of JL. This lead to Jay Oliva, who did storyboard work for the film, calling out the "journalist" for conveniently leaving out information he shared with him, which didn't support the article's agenda.

It's funny how Oliva, an insider who worked on the film, has to argue with outsiders who didn't, but think they know more about the film. Besides, anyone who argues there was never a Snyder cut doesn't know anything about filmmaking. Of course there was a Snyder cut.

There's a good chance there were multiple cuts of the film that were assembled with his input. Movies aren't just edited one time and sent down the line. They would be  very rough, with animatics, blue screen, a temp score, footage that hasn't been color corrected, rough audio, unsharpened pacing, and missing plenty of inserts. It probably wouldn't represent the final film that might've happened had he been allowed to fully shape it. It also wouldn't necessarily be the film he originally envisioned prior to BVS' release and its subsequent shouty, irrational "I didn't like a movie! The end is nigh! How dare they make the dark Superman movie I asked for when Superman Returns came out!" criticism.